USA East 2005: Second Annual HU Travellers Meeting
Robbinsville, North Carolina, USA, June 17-19, 2005
Photos from the meeting here
- Merrill Glos, "USA to Ushuaia, and back"
- Bruce Crawford, USA, "Baja & Copper Canyon, Mexico 2004/5"
- James Klotz, USA, "South American adventure"
- Christi and Scott Reynolds, "travelling New Zealand"
- John Therkelsen, "A first foray into adventure motorcycling, USA to Panama."
- Grant Johnson, "Everything you need to know to go on that long ride"
- How about you? Let us know if you have something to show! Volunteers wanted! It's easy and fun, we'll even help you out.
Tech sessions, Saturday 9:00AM for those who want to do the geocaching ride
- Dick Fawcett, Geocaching
- Gerardo Ibarra, "Navigation - GPS 101, maps and compass"
Tech sessions, Saturday/Saturday night:
- Merrill Glos, "heading south, border crossings and route tips"
- Tire changing and flat prevention by someone - you? Wheel/Tire available!
- Grant Johnson, "Photo Composition for Travellers - the one everyone SHOULD take, but no one does..."
- Christi and Scott Reynolds, "budget travel in the USA"
- Gerardo Ibarra will also talk about the Copper Canyon, Mexico Travellers meeting and what you need to know to go and have a great time!
There were slide shows Friday and Saturday night .
CHECK-IN and sign up for Saturday and Sunday breakfast, Saturday dinner!
A guided ride, led by Lee Allison:
"The ride I mapped out is 140+/- miles. It is very tight both gravel and paved roads for the most part except for a couple 6-8 miles sections. There will be a number of 'bail out' points to return to Ironhorse. Best suited for XR650, KLR, 640 Adventure, DR650, DRZ400. I have riden all these roads on 950 Adventure as well and the big Tigers, GS's etc should be fine for anyone but novice off-roaders. All on roads, no single track. Plan on min moving time of 4-5 hours. The roads are tight and mostly 2-3-4 gear stuff."
And there were lots more rides!
Saturday morning â€“ late check in
8 â€“ 10 am - Breakfast
10:00 â€“ Self-guided Ride details (see sheets at check-in for times for guided rides) and tech sessions.
- Grant Johnson, 3 hours of everything you could want to know to ride in another country, or around the world.
- Photo Composition
6:00 pm Dinner (Buffet)
Time to slowly ride off into the sunset, err, rise...
Bob spent the whole weekend photographing and documenting everything, did a great job, and very generously made a CD available at only US$5 (and spent half the night Saturday and Sunday morning burning them for those smart enough to order in advance) They sold so well we're planning on doing it again next year!
You can get your copy of the CD with 71 photos from the meeting Bob can also supply high quality prints at a reasonable price.
Bob is also interested in doing similar work at other events, so if you're interested, ; I think he did a great job.
Photos from the Meeting by Bob Barron
Photos from the Meeting by Bob Barron
Remember, if you want the Cd or a print, contact Bob Barron here
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge, Cabins and Campground
1755 Lower Stecoah Road,
North Carolina 28771
For more information:
Email Ironhorse Lodge
Getting There - GPS, Maps
GPS Co-ordinates: N35 deg 23' 20", W83 deg 40' 38"
Iron Horse is located in Graham County, North Carolina, on Lower Stecoah Road just north off Highway 28. A short 30 minute ride to the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and the scenic Cherohala Skyway, two of the best motorcycle destinations in the United States.
Can you supply us with links, and other info on the places to ride, and interesting things to see in the area? Let us know here.
- Ironhorse is in Graham County, NC. www.grahamchamber.com promotes the county and has driving directions to Graham County from Asheville, Atlanta and Knoxville. Even though the directions are not directly to Ironhorse, this site might be useful.
- Great information on the "Tail of the Dragon" - otherwise known as US129, near Deal's Gap, with 318 curves in 11 miles, can be found on the "official" Tail of the Dragon website. An awesome road! We will have a few maps from the website, but it would be wise to print your own in advance. Available here. There is also info on Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway and 2 Dual Sport rides.
- North Carolina's 'Scenic Byways' website has a lot of great information on various scenic roads in North Carolina. They also sent Karen a book she says is great. It will be on display at the Meeting. Viewable online in pdf format or can be ordered from their website for only $5.00 each.
- Rafting is available nearby at Wildwater Rafting, and at The Falling Waters Adventure Resort there's whitewater rafting, mountain biking, horseback riding, fishing, canoeing and kayaking.
- Wheels Through Time Museum a "35-year collection of rare American motorcycles and automobiles...230-vehicle collection in the lovely community of Maggie Valley, North Carolina, located just a few miles off of I-40 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maggie Valley is a quiet community of 400 people nestled in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains." Owner Dale Walksler has very generously donated door prizes for our meeting, and wants to invite you to come visit the museum - he'll be delighted to meet you!
Karen and Richard Fawcett are co-organizers of this event. Thanks!
If you have any questions, they can be contacted here:
live in the area and will be at the meeting, and since they're in the tourism industry, have offered "local knowledge" if anyone has any questions.
- Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC - "rare American motorcycles and automobiles"
- Bluemoon Cycle in Norcross, GA. - "one of the largest volume BMW motorcycle dealers in the Southeast."
- Fraziers Harley Davidson in Buford, GA. - "Our goal is simple. We want to keep everyone happy."
- Atlanta Triumph Ducati in Atlanta, GA. - " a haven for motorcycle enthusiasts to hang out and discuss bikes with like minded fanatics."
- Franklin Motorsports in Franklin NC. - A new Honda dealer that has been very generous! No website yet...
- Precision Cycle & ATV Sylva, NC. - a full-service shop - "Mechanics are the backbone of the business"
- Smith Power Sports "products to make your outdoor living easier and more enjoyable. We offer experience, fair prices, and a friendly atmosphere." Kawasaki and KTM."
- Mortons BMW, Fredericksburg, Virginia. Mortons have been a long-time Horizons Unlimited supporter, so a special thanks to them, and for coming all the way to the meeting! Say hi to Steve, he'll be wandering around...
- BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta, "the leading BMW dealer in the southeast, with all the latest models, genuine BMW accessories and your exclusive source for BMW clothing in Georgia"
Please drop in for a visit and thank them for their support.
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- Germany: May 29-June 1
- Greece: June 5-8
- Bulgaria Mini: June 13-14
- HUBB UK: June 19-22
- Montenegro: June 26-29
- NEW! Canada Maritimes: July 4-6
- USA Colorado: July 11-13
- Ireland: July 18-20
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- France Mini: Sep 5-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! Aus NSW: Oct 31-Nov 2
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 13-16