Portugal 2004: Second Annual HU Travellers Meeting
GÃ³is, Portugal, September 24-26, 2004
Meeting Report and photos
We had a good turnout, with folks from several Europena countries coming, and I was there as well, holding up the Canadian flag! The Portugese naturally had the biggest turnout, with the Brits a strong second, also Spain, Germany and Malaysia.
A big Thank You to António Caldeira, our ever-helpful local host, for all his hard work and late nights making sure everything was ready and working, he did a great job, and thanks to him again for driving me to and from the airport.
- Ernesto Brochado, India
- Tito Baião and João Pedro, from Luanda to Oporto helping to create new school library for children.
- Linda Bootherstone, to Ukraine
- António Brás, Books to Mozambique
- Carlos Azevedo, to Mauritania
- Also a special thanks to Filipe Elias for his GPS presentation and very generous donation of a GPS as a door prize!
We are currently planning to have next year's event either at the same location or possibly in Oporto, but are open to new venues. If you know of a location you think might be suitable, please let us know. We need camping, food and a Presentation room, within walking distance of each other, preferably on the same grounds.
There is a writeup on the 2004 Meeting with photos published in the "best known and largest circulation motorcycle magazine Moto Jornal... www.fnm.pt/fnm/artigo.asp?cod_artigo=107698 of the Portuguese Motorcycle Federation."
2005 information in progress, please check back for more info.
Following photos by Francisco Caeiro and Carlos Azevedo. Thanks for sending them in!
The general plan is simple. Show up Friday or Saturday, have a drink, tell some lies, have another drink, eat early, then slide shows are planned.
2004 speakers so far:
- Grant Johnson - I was there, and gave a 2 hour presentation on "How YOU can do it"
- Tito Baião, Macau to Oporto in 2000 and Angola to Oporto 2003.
- Ernesto Brochado, one of the most well known motorcyclists in Portugal, trip in India.
- António Brás and João Menezes, film they made in a trip from Oporto to Mozambique with the aim to deliver books (a small library) to several remotely located schools.
- Linda Bootherstone, Spain, on a trip to Ukraine
- you? Let us know if you have something to show! Volunteers wanted!
There were slide shows Friday and Saturday night, so come early and make it a great weekend!
go here for the 2005 information.
Parque de Campismo de Gois, the web site is www.goiscamping.com
Camping is only €2.
The town of Góis is near Coimbra (ca. 40Kms) and about 200Kms north from Lisbon and 160Kms south from Oporto.
António Caldeira is the organizer for this event. Thanks António! If you want to help make this an even better event, please contact António. He could use some assistance!
If you have any questions, he can be contacted here:
Rua Marques de Oliveira, 22 - 1º
Cell Phone: 351 93 633 61 70 or
FAX: 351 22 947 90 89
for further informatio
Are you an Overland Adventure Traveller?
Does the smell of spices wafting through the air make you think of Zanzibar, a cacophony of honking horns is Cairo, or a swirl of brilliantly patterned clothing Guatemala? Then this is the site for you!
Hosted by Grant and Susan Johnson, RTW 1987-1998
Next HU Events
- NEW! Shanghai Mini: Mar 15
- Germany: May 29-June 1
- HUBB UK: June 19-22
- NEW! Canada Maritimes: July 4-6
- USA Colorado: July 11-13
- Ireland: July 18-20
- Canada West: Aug 21-24
- USA North Carolina: Sept. 4-7
- Canada Ontario: Sept. 11-14
- NEW! UK - Haggs Bank: Sept. 19-21
- USA California: Sept. 25-28
- Aus Queensland: Oct 3-6
- Aus Perth: Oct 10-12
- Aus VIC: Oct 24-26
- NEW! South Africa: Nov 14-16
Buy the Achievable Dream Collectors Set and get Road Heroes Part 1 Free!
Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest