Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Yamaha Tech (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/)
-   -   Scottoiler (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/scottoiler-5748)

Marianne 8 Dec 2002 21:09


I bought a Scottoiler for my XT600E ('95), but I have a problem with installing it. You have to do something with the vacuum-'thing', but where is that?
I read on a website that "plain XT600 owners will need to drill a hole in the inlet rubber".
Does anyone have advice on installing the Scottoiler on my XT?


> motorbikes2africa.nl <

bayonet 9 Dec 2002 02:13

Most Scotoilers are plumbed into the spigot on the manifold between carb and engine which is used when measuring the vacuum for carb synchronisation on multi-cylinder bikes. You just push the scottoiler L-shaped connector straight on. However on single cylinder bikes there is no need to balance the carb (as there is only one ((usually)) so therefore there is no take off to connect to. All you do is remove the manifold which is made of a softish rubber, drill a hole in it and fit the spigot provided in the scottoiler kit. A bit of silicon around the joint helps. If you don't want to remove the manifold and you have a vacuum fuel tap then you can plumb the scottoiler connector into the vacuum take off coming from the fuel tap. If you have a normal fuel tap then you have to drill the manifold.

If you're not sure if you have a vacuum tap then look at the writing on it. If you see Prime and no "off" then it is a vacuum tap.

KlausXT600 9 Dec 2002 16:56

look to the left intake manifold. on the upside you should find what bayonet calls a spigot.
it's usually closed with a rubber cap.

Marianne 9 Dec 2002 20:16

Okay, thanks so far.
But what is a manifold and what is a spigot?

KlausXT600 9 Dec 2002 23:35

let me try to explain in easy words:
the intake manifold is the connecting part between carburretor and cylinderhead.
xt600 has two of them, one for the primary carb (left hand) and one for the secondary carb (@bayonet: xt600 has two carbs).
what bayonet calls a 'spigot' (it's also for me the first time in life to read this word (but i'm german)) is a small pipe on top of the (left) manifold and -as i said above- usually closed with a rubber cap.
xt600 models have this 'spigot' since 1983 up to today.
86-90 tenere's are getting the vacuum from here to operate the fuel pump.

hope this will help,

GRIFF 10 Dec 2002 01:22

As Klaus pointed out,there should be a vaccuum pipe on top of the manifold(rubbery bit between carb and engine) on the left hand carb(as viewed from sitting on bike) and it is easy enough to connect to this.
You will fin that it enters the top of the fuel pump just behind the frame by the left footrest and I found this the easiest area to work in for this job.

Good luck,

Marianne 10 Dec 2002 16:40

Thanks for the info!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:46.