Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Yamaha Tech (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/)
-   -   Help! My new used Plastic tank leaks. (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/help-my-new-used-plastic-33387)

Bamaboy 25 Feb 2008 21:10

Help! My new used Plastic tank leaks.
 
I just received it today at the post office, bought it used on e-bay and the crazy thing has a hole in it. That is what I get for trying to save money. The guy has sold 51 products and had a 100% approval rating. Not anymore! :censored:
I will send him an email first to see if wants to pay to fix it or give me my money back.

Does anyone know how to repair a hole in a plastic tank? Mine is a Brazilian Gili very similar to the Acerbis.

cyberzar 25 Feb 2008 21:35

tank hole
 
You have two problems:

1) most of products do not resist to petrol
2) the rest are not indicated for fixing plastics :rofl:

Depending from position, and how much big is the hole... maybe you can use this:

LEAK FIX - repair petrol tanks radiators pipes su eBay.it Car Care, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles

that is at least specific for tanks and petrol... and if the hole can be closed with a screw use both together... leakfix and screw.

another try could be fiberglass, but probably something fixed mechanically, like a screw, not only chemically, will resist better.

MikeS 25 Feb 2008 21:42

I just got an IMS tank for my DR650 sent to Australia from the USA. It says that they will replace it if it is damaged but not after you put fuel in it. Thankfully its not leaking but I'm not sure how you're supposed to know it leaks till you do fill it up. It does say to clearly photograph the damage/hole and contact the seller ASAP as a starting point though.

Nixa 25 Feb 2008 22:55

Don't panic! :)
 
You could use polyester fibers and resin to close that hole!
Look for it in hardwear store.

I will make my own fuel tank using polyester fibers, it is easy to use!

P.S.

Post a photo of the hole

Bill Holland 25 Feb 2008 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeS (Post 176679)
I just got an IMS tank for my DR650 sent to Australia from the USA. It says that they will replace it if it is damaged but not after you put fuel in it. Thankfully its not leaking but I'm not sure how you're supposed to know it leaks till you do fill it up. It does say to clearly photograph the damage/hole and contact the seller ASAP as a starting point though.


You could fill it with water first to test if it leaks.

bacardi23 25 Feb 2008 23:42

Hi. Check this thread...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...question-23540

Vando :cool4:

Bamaboy 26 Feb 2008 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberzar (Post 176676)
You have two problems:

1) most of products do not resist to petrol
2) the rest are not indicated for fixing plastics :rofl:

Depending from position, and how much big is the hole... maybe you can use this:

LEAK FIX - repair petrol tanks radiators pipes su eBay.it Car Care, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles

that is at least specific for tanks and petrol... and if the hole can be closed with a screw use both together... leakfix and screw.

another try could be fiberglass, but probably something fixed mechanically, like a screw, not only chemically, will resist better.

I sent it to a welder that specializes in this kind of thing but even he said that it is not easy and that he will give it a try. I will find out tomorrow.

I like the idea about the screw maybe with some type of glue like that leakfix around it. It is a very small hole about the size of the end of an ink pen. Looks like it scraped against something.

Bamaboy 26 Feb 2008 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacardi23 (Post 176693)
Hi. Check this thread...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...question-23540

Vando :cool4:

Thanks, they had some good tips on that page.

bacardi23 26 Feb 2008 05:56

I'm glad I could help! :cool4:

have fun!

Vando:cool4:

yhprum 26 Feb 2008 19:41

you could get some aviation grade fuel tank sealant and put a small blob on the outside surface (after proper cleaning and prep) over the damage. That stuff sticks really well and remains pretty pliable. Google PRC or proseal.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57.


vB.Sponsors