Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Which Bike? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/)
-   -   overland bike? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/overland-bike-57464)

crusader 2 Jun 2011 11:16

overland bike?
 
Hi folks

im new to the forum but have been riding gs's for 10 years. is there
a specific company in the uk that builds or modify s motorbikes for overlanding?



thanks

steve :)

henryuk 2 Jun 2011 11:37

There are a few overland prep specialists (try Matt Savage). There are also a bunch of people that would probably be willing to help you out for a nominal fee. I personally like real ale, hint!

mark manley 2 Jun 2011 20:54

Depending on where you want to go, if you already have a GS of some sort you already have a bike to go there on with little or no modification apart from luggage and perhaps a bash plate if not already fitted.
I use an almost standard R80GS with aluminium panniers, some say the original ones are fine, and it has taken me to many parts of the world, your money is better spent on petrol, campsites and hotels.

T.REX63 2 Jun 2011 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark manley (Post 337624)
Depending on where you want to go, if you already have a GS of some sort you already have a bike to go there on with little or no modification ...

+1 :yes:

discoenduro 3 Jun 2011 06:29

'Touring Ted' is always on the HUBB and he's recently started offering his overlanding mechanical nouse for a fee.
Personally I've used David Lambeth in Lincolnshire and can recommend him.
Adios

crusader 6 Jun 2011 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusader (Post 337571)
Hi folks

im new to the forum but have been riding gs's for 10 years. is there
a specific company in the uk that builds or modify s motorbikes for overlanding?



thanks

steve :)


Because im thinking of starting one im going to start with smaller lighter bikes like the suzuki drz400 , kawasaki klrs and the yamaha xt upgrading frame work and making luggage frames etc i just wanted to know if there is a gap in the market for this kind of service.


stephen :)

Dick 6 Jun 2011 21:50

Mate you're not far from me in Worcestershire so I'll pop up in the future if you are making simple one-off frames to keep soft panniers away from disappearing into wheels and exhausts

crusader 6 Jun 2011 22:07

No probs mate that's the kind of stuff I'll be doing
I'm going to try and develop a pannier frame for use with
Kriega bags



Stephen

*Touring Ted* 7 Jun 2011 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoenduro (Post 337681)
'Touring Ted' is always on the HUBB and he's recently started offering his overlanding mechanical nouse for a fee.
Personally I've used David Lambeth in Lincolnshire and can recommend him.
Adios

I did ?? lol..

I'll always help where I can... I've not been paid yet though. I'm just too soft.


I guess it depends what kind of work that needs doing. There is so much "off the shelf" gear available now, it's really hard for anyone to make a sole living off prepping bikes.

By the time you've bought the materials and paid someone for their time (even if they're cheap), you're not far off from buying it off the net.

*Touring Ted* 7 Jun 2011 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusader (Post 338054)
Because im thinking of starting one im going to start with smaller lighter bikes like the suzuki drz400 , kawasaki klrs and the yamaha xt upgrading frame work and making luggage frames etc i just wanted to know if there is a gap in the market for this kind of service.


stephen :)

Thought about that myself too.. Many have.

Unless you already own a workshop, have a load of welding, bending gear, presses, spraying etc etc etc. (and more importantly know how to use it... ) then I really don't think it's worth your time and money.

I have a rather tasty workshop already but to even pay for the extra equipment to start fabricating stuff, i'd have to charge more than factory built stuff and probably not be as tidy..

Plus, if you want to build stuff for a DRZ, you're really going to need one in your workshop, same with the XT.. How many bikes can you afford or have access to ?

I've got loads of good ideas of things that would sell, but I just don't think I could sell enough to make it worth my effort. It's a nice hobby though.

Good luck to you bud...

tmotten 7 Jun 2011 01:29

I've spent months setting up my motorbikes for RTW, but guess where all that stuff ended up? In the bin, because when I started learning to ride off road I found all that crap added weight. Weight is evil and doesn't improve your skills at all. Steepens the learning curve as well. All you need is a bike with decent suspension which isn't a DIY job, good hand guards and bash plate which is easy as pie. No need for racks with soft luggage anymore if you can keep your gear requirements down. Saves you buckets of money too.

I'd suggest getting a DR650 (or DRZ but this sucks on the road. I've got one), pay someone reputable to setup the suspension for your weight +40kg (DR650 only) and just hit the trails. Fall, skid, get up and keep going. Get a larger tank over the second few months. It's a good alround learner bike and average and capable at everything.

Spend the money on top range gear like cross fire boots and body armour. Wish I did. doh


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:00.


vB.Sponsors