Latest GS Dakar, comments?
I'm in the market for a new bike and have narrowed my choice down to the '05 KTM 640 or the latest model BMW F650 GS Dakar.
I spent today test riding the Dakar. On a whole I was impressed with the bike's general performance: Smooth acceleration all the way through to top end, low vibration, easy town-riding, good road-holding, easy rebound adjustment and great balance off-road (even in mud with road-tyres on). There were a few things that bothered me and perhaps others can comment?
1. The new windshield is crap, it directed the wind straight into my helmet, which detracted from the ride comfort.
2. The ABS brakes, which are awesome onroad, have a strange on-off system. Every time you switch the motor off, ABS automatically switches back on when you restart! This is not very useful offroad as you have to keep remembering to switch it back off.
3. The front mudgaurd is inadequate, I was covered in mud from helmet to toe, whereas my friends on their ktm's were still clean.
(in fact, the GS was a whole lot dirtier than the 2 ktm's at the end of our ride.)
4. There doesn't appear to be much space to fit decent knobblies. Looking at it, I would say that Michelin desert's will definitely not fit on this bike, what about Pirelli MT21's?
5. 17" rear wheel?
6. The bike is very cosmetic, I would guess that it's easier damaged than the ktm and more expensive to repair.
7. The positon of the CDI, is at the bottom front between the engine and the flimsy looking bashplate. Easily damaged? plus any half-decent river crossings and it's going to get soaked.
It's probably a great bike for 90% of the time, but it's the other 10% which worries me. If I had the money I think I'd buy the 650GS as a roadbike and the KTM as my plaything. But your comments would be appreciated.