KLR650 vs F650
A couple of friends and I finished a trip through the Copper Canyon region of Mexico.
We took to KLR's and an F650. Some observations:
- The KLR's certainly took a beating. Both suffered various items loosening and falling off. I broke a gear shift lever (bad weld), bent the brake lever and am still leaking gas(need a carb overhall and new bowl gaskets. The other KLR lost a sub-frame bolt.
- The F650 has much superior fasteners.
- The F650 takes on water much quicker and is more difficult to dry out. Lots of low spots in the exhaust system and the air box is a chore to remove and dry.
-Both bikes have great torque. My personal experience leads me to believe the F650 is amazing. Fully laden, it'll
up a cliff at 2K RPM.
- The KLR's have better range but we added a cheap can of gas strapped to the F650 as compensation (didn't need it in the end).
- I'd take either bike RWT but the KLR definately needs some extra work from stock for LD reliability.