Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Which Bike? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/)
-   -   Which is the coolest of the '80-'90s enduro BMWs? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/coolest-80-90s-enduro-bmws-35292)

peter-denmark 19 May 2008 01:15

Which is the coolest of the '80-'90s enduro BMWs?
 
Ok a little comparison question here.

Which of the following models do you think are the best:

r 65 gs
r 80 gs
r 100 gs
r 100 paris dakar

The important factors are:

reliability and spare parts
Range and economy
Good off road abilities
solo or two up capability
pricing

My thoughts are:

The 650s are very good with a larger gas tank, but may lack some power.
The 800s have the power, but why not go for the r 100 Paris Dakar which has even more power and a larger gas tank.

Are any of these model, substancially more reliable then the other? Does some of them have much better off road capabilities than the others? Are any of them impossible to find spare parts for? Do some have good economy and others bad?

Tall is good but heavy is not. I am tall, but since I do lots of offroad the bike shouldent be too heavy

Just thinking...

Hustler 19 May 2008 08:40

In case it's of any use, facts and figures on these models on this very useful site - BMW Motorcycle Models

AliBaba 19 May 2008 09:21

Mainly you can divide the bikes in two groups; monolever (G/S) and paralever (GS).

The monolevers (R65G/S or R80G/S) have a more robust and older type of swingarm (which is called monolever). The fork (incl front brakes) is not very good and the frame is a bit flimsy.
A lot of people think that it’s the most reliable BMW ever built and it has an advantage because of the swingarm.

The paralevers R80GS and R100GS have a newer swingarm with u-joints known to fail at different intervals (mine lasted more then 150kkm). The fork is much better, the front brakes are better (but not much) and the frame is stiffer. The paralevers also have better rims which allow you to use tubeless tires.

There are a lot of versions like PD, Classic, Basic and so on but it’s all the same bikes with different tank-sizes and fairings/plastic. A lot of the bikes are rebuilt anyway so it’s more a question of finding one with the accessory you like. The PD is a bit heavy and the fairing is not excellent…

IMHO the paralevers handles better then the monolever.

All the bikes shares the same engine with various cylinders/heads and carburetors. The R65G/S has shorter stroke (different crankshaft) and another camshaft.
The gearboxes are interchangeable but there are some differences inside through the years. The R65 has the lowest gearing, the R100 the highest. The differences in gearing is realized in the final drive – not in the gearbox.


Personally I would have tried to get a R80GS Basic or R80GS Kalahari (the South African Basic with a larger tank and fairing). These are the “newest” airheads you can get. But I might be biased because I have them…

A friend of mine bought a R80 G/S Paris Dakar yesterday (86 modell, 80kkm) and he was happy! The bike looks a bit ugly with the big wind-screen, low fender and a strange handlebar so we renamed it Paris California (original parts in front of bike):
http://www.actiontouring.com/pic/handel.jpg


GS and G/S info: The BMW R G/S and GS motorcycles

peter-denmark 19 May 2008 13:29

Thank you very much for the information, very good write up.

These bikes are from before I started motorcycling so I haven't really seen the changes through the years, which makes it hard.

The "basic" 800 is expensive though!

Peter

Magnon 19 May 2008 17:33

The 'coolest' but not the most practical is the R80PD. The most practical, in my opinion, is the naked R100GS (86 to 91 I think) but it still has it's faults.

AliBaba 19 May 2008 17:39

This is the coolest (old pic): http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolu...lye_rechts.jpg it looks like this now: http://www.hpn.de/bilder/high_resolu..._rallye_r1.jpg

Magnon 19 May 2008 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliBaba (Post 190220)

Yep, definately very cool but not good in the passenger carrying department!

Margus 19 May 2008 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnon (Post 190236)
Yep, definately very cool but not good in the passenger carrying department!

http://www.possi.de/schottland/images/102.jpg

Possi has modifyed his HPN Rallye Sport for 2-up and has done dozens of travels two up. His HPN has over 300,000km w/o any real problems all is working fine - you just can't kill the old boxers :) See his website, info and pictures (a bit bulky German-English translation via Babelfish is available on his site).

Ride safe, Margus

AliBaba 19 May 2008 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnon (Post 190236)
Yep, definately very cool but not good in the passenger carrying department!

You can remove this:
http://www.hpn.de/bilder/zubehoer/7.jpg

and install:
http://www.actiontouring.com/pic/rear.jpg

Edit: Margus was faster...

peter-denmark 20 May 2008 03:31

The plot thickens...

A naked r 100 gs is the most practical you say? But that model doesn't have a large tank.
Hmm.

Yeah the HPN modded bikes are like the women we all dream of shagging. We all wan't one but when it comes down to it there are lots of benefits of choosing a cheaper model. (that didn't come out quite right?)

Honestly I don't think a bike worth more than 3000$ is suitable for touring. Not for me anyways. If it in that priceclass and below I can set fire to it and walk away without crying too many tears.

Above that priceclass, you have a "hanger on" instead of a tool. Can't really afford to lose it, have sleepless nights when parked in suspicius places.

That does NOT mean that I will not buy a much more expensive bike to use for touring. Riding motorcycles is not a loqical hobby...

Thanks for your info guys! Keep the facts/opinions comming.

Dodger 20 May 2008 04:27

[QUOTE=peter-denmark;190302]The plot thickens...



""""""""""""Yeah the HPN modded bikes are like the women we all dream of shagging. We all wan't one but when it comes down to it there are lots of benefits of choosing a cheaper model. (that didn't come out quite right?)

Honestly I don't think a bike worth more than 3000$ is suitable for touring. Not for me anyways. If it in that priceclass and below I can set fire to it and walk away without crying too many tears."""""""""""""""""""""



Incredible logic ! I couldn't have put it any better !

You could ,of course ,just ride someone else's HPN - once in a while - maybe ?

peter-denmark 20 May 2008 04:52

Yes, but if YOU had one would you borrow it to others? I mean people would ride so hard, because it was so nice.

Were we still talking about bikes? :innocent:

AliBaba 20 May 2008 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter-denmark (Post 190302)
The plot thickens...
Yeah the HPN modded bikes are like the women we all dream of shagging. We all wan't one but when it comes down to it there are lots of benefits of choosing a cheaper model. (that didn't come out quite right?)

My girlfriend used to think the same way; you can ask her if she was right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter-denmark (Post 190302)
The plot thickens...
Honestly I don't think a bike worth more than 3000$ is suitable for touring. Not for me anyways. If it in that priceclass and below I can set fire to it and walk away without crying too many tears.

I see your point and I understand, but I don’t agree..
Personally I drive a very cheap car and the total cost of car and HPN is far less then a newer car and a ratty bike. Prices differ around the world, up here you have to pay at least 6000$ for a beaten up 1986 XT600.
Then there are things as joy and pleasure :wave:

Anyway, back to the subject.
A lot of the airheads-owner loves to modify their bikes and change tanks, seats, windscreens and other stuff. This means that the model-name doesn’t mean much anymore. It’s better to focus on your needs then a model name.


If you plan to go traveling better suspension and a bigger tank tends to be the pricey modifications. If you can get a bike where you can leave this as it is you will save some money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter-denmark (Post 190302)
Above that priceclass, you have a "hanger on" instead of a tool. Can't really afford to lose it, have sleepless nights when parked in suspicius places.

If the bike gives you sleepless nights of any reasons, it could be mechanical problems, economical problems or whatever it’s not the correct bike for you.

peter-denmark 20 May 2008 22:36

I would like to quote myself: "That does NOT mean that I will not buy a much more expensive bike to use for touring. Riding motorcycles is not a loqical hobby..."

I think that a cheap bike is the right choise, but when does logic rule?

I bet that anyone who has owned a few bikes and were about to get a new bike thought: "I am only going to spend X amount of money on this bike, because I need money for something else" When it came down to it, they spend more because what they wanted was more expensive (-:

Know what I mean or a babbling?

Samy 21 May 2008 13:36

which is better ?
 
It is totally depends on the budget. For my personal view and look:

A 198X R 80 GS PD may be looks enough good to tour around comfortable with large PD tank and it costs less than 3000 $, it may cause problems and costs more to you than a newer one like 96 R 80 GS Basic. It can't be lass than 100 K kms on it.

If you go a R 80 GS Basic model 1996 with 40 or even 60 K km for the price 5.000 $, it is better value in long term.

If you are not a professional rider who will tour the world in 5 years and do 200 K kms, HPN is not nacessary as it is said to me by Mr Possi himself though you can make some minor modifications as you like.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57.


vB.Sponsors