Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Welcome to HU (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/welcome-to-hu/)
-   -   Hi from the 4rse end of the UK (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/welcome-to-hu/hi-from-4rse-end-uk-66595)

Big AL H 5 Oct 2012 13:52

Hi from the 4rse end of the UK
 
Just had to say that this is a fantastic resource for all things 'off roady'.

Recently back into the muddy side of biking after a fairly major offroad accident involving involuntary removal of one foot and the subsequent poor re-attachment of said body part.

Just trying to sort a pig to start TTR600 Belgarda at the mo for some muddy fun and european trips.
Also contemplating chopping in one of my road bikes for a more comfortable tourer, probably of the GS1150 ilk or similar.

fraser2312 5 Oct 2012 17:19

Big AL H
 
Welcome to the board bier

Big AL H 6 Oct 2012 18:07

Thanks bier
Been out for a muddy session today, I'd forgotten how much fun it was, am ashamed I ever stopped :funmeteryes:

The Cameraman 6 Oct 2012 18:33

Hi Big Al H

foot loose and fancy free eh!

Hope you've made as good as a recovery as you can and it's brilliant your back on two wheels.

Regards

Reggie

Big AL H 6 Oct 2012 19:00

You said it :)

Trouble is i was back on my bikes before I'd healed up. Turned up for a specialists appointment on my bike with the incisions still healing and the frame still on my leg! The specialist did his nut! :)

Such is life ;) too much bike fun to have, and so little time :)
Grown ups will never understand ;)

Al

The Cameraman 6 Oct 2012 19:26

Hi Al,

I wouldn't have expected anything less!

Regards

Reggie

Dick Puhlir 6 Oct 2012 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big AL H (Post 395092)
Just had to say that this is a fantastic resource for all things 'off roady'.

Recently back into the muddy side of biking after a fairly major offroad accident involving involuntary removal of one foot and the subsequent poor re-attachment of said body part.

Just trying to sort a pig to start TTR600 Belgarda at the mo for some muddy fun and european trips.
Also contemplating chopping in one of my road bikes for a more comfortable tourer, probably of the GS1150 ilk or similar.

Don't think I like the idea of Orkney being called the arse end of the UK. Quite the opposite.:thumbdown:

Big AL H 6 Oct 2012 22:21

Didn't say it was a bad thing, in fact quite the opposite ;)
Plenty of freedom, no traffic jams, and fabulous scenery all around

Walkabout 7 Oct 2012 06:04

Upside down
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Puhlir (Post 395260)
Don't think I like the idea of Orkney being called the arse end of the UK. Quite the opposite.:thumbdown:

Remembering the old advertisement for a certain car driving school, the UK has the Orkney Isles well up there at the other end of the driver's anatomy - something like a halo, perhaps, to the crown of the head (or even a crown of thorns??).
I can't remember that the Shetlands were even in sight :innocent:

Walkabout 7 Oct 2012 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big AL H (Post 395241)
You said it :)

Trouble is i was back on my bikes before I'd healed up.l

The medics don't like that, but I guess many of us have done it!! :nono:
Mine was clearly unimpressed when I said I was going riding as soon as I was out of hospital - thing is, he might not have been so interested in doing a good job, so I probably said the wrong thing at the wrong time; I should have told him after the op :innocent:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big AL H (Post 395241)
Trouble is i was back on my bikes before I'd healed up. Turned up for a specialists appointment on my bike with the incisions still healing and the frame still on my leg! The specialist did his nut! :)

My ttr600 was always a pig to kick over - there must be a lot of posts in here, way back about that. It can't have been easy with a pot on the leg to use the ttr kicker!?

Big AL H 7 Oct 2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 395295)
Remembering the old advertisement for a certain car driving school, the UK has the Orkney Isles well up there at the other end of the driver's anatomy - something like a halo, perhaps, to the crown of the head (or even a crown of thorns??).
I can't remember that the Shetlands were even in sight :innocent:


Probably a bad choice of wording, but a throwback to my days living in Alice Springs, locally known endearingly as the arse end of nowhere. A fantastic place, and with all the thousands of miles of bush, an off road paradise.
The space, freedom and beauty of Orkney and the north of Scotland really is fantastic, not to mention the friendly people makes it a fantastic place to be :)

Big AL H 7 Oct 2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 395296)
The medics don't like that, but I guess many of us have done it!! :nono:
Mine was clearly unimpressed when I said I was going riding as soon as I was out of hospital - thing is, he might not have been so interested in doing a good job, so I probably said the wrong thing at the wrong time; I should have told him after the op :innocent:


My ttr600 was always a pig to kick over - there must be a lot of posts in here, way back about that. It can't have been easy with a pot on the leg to use the ttr kicker!?

Yes the medical profession isn't too fond of two wheels. It seems to be a bit of a taboo subject.

It's ok, the cage was on the other leg, handy for changing gear though as I couldn't use my foot :) and I took the TLR down, leccy start is a handy thing at times ;)

Dick Puhlir 7 Oct 2012 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 395295)
.
I can't remember that the Shetlands were even in sight :innocent:

Just for info - to speak of the "Shetlands", as you put it, is a habit from England which refers to the "Scillies". It isnt applicable to the Shetland Isles/Islands, all of which have individual names. You got it right with the Orkney Islands :thumbup1:

Walkabout 7 Oct 2012 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Puhlir (Post 395332)
Just for info - to speak of the "Shetlands", as you put it, is a habit from England which refers to the "Scillies". It isnt applicable to the Shetland Isles/Islands, all of which have individual names. You got it right with the Orkney Islands :thumbup1:

Fair one, it was a hurried typo - I have visited most of the Shetties, of those that are inhabited that is :thumbup1:
Thing is, I have also visited the "Scillies", but that was only a flying visit, literally, on that Bristow tourist helicopter - a long time ago, so it could be different now.


As for the "map" of Britain from the school advert (some will be too young to know this):-
Cornwall forms the feet of the driver on the pedals, the south coast/SE Eng comprise the rump (that big Al refers to!), Wales has it's arms on the steering wheel, the Midlands is the body of the driver and everywhere else northward, especially the top end i.e Scotland has a big smile in it's face and is enjoying the ride.

welovebikes 22 Oct 2012 17:25

Hi Big Al
 
Hi Big Al bier

Sorry to hear of your accident and hope they put it back the right way round!

Just thought I'd let you know that I have a BM R1150GS on HU "Bikes for Sale" and brilliant as they are, it is a heavy lump to move around and put on the stand etc, but once on it's way it's fantastic, with lovely neutral handling.

Hope this helps and get in touch with NABD ( NABD ) (ooops, you'll have to Google it) as they will pay for any adaptions that you may need, such as a Kliktronic shifter or thumb operated rear brake, etc. They have some great rallies as well and my chosen charity for any excess funds that may come my way.

Cheers

Chris


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:49.


vB.Sponsors