Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Website Feedback (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/website-feedback/)
-   -   HUBB Search (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/website-feedback/hubb-search-26205)

Mick O'Malley 20 Mar 2007 08:14

HUBB Search
 
Hi Grant

I know I've probably missed something obvious, but the HUBB search has vanished from the blue bar?

Regards, Mick

Sophie-Bart 20 Mar 2007 08:43

found
 
Mick
It took me a few weeks than I discovered there is a 'new' search-function in the left menubar, in the Forums-section you'll find four links (pointing to The HUBB!, Introduction, Post: 24hr and search). Not to be confused with the search button in the About Us-section which searches the rest of the website and not the hubb or forums.

Grant
Maybe it's an idea to put another search link in the Quick Links-menubar

cheers

Grant Johnson 20 Mar 2007 12:02

Search
 
We're very much in progress on the whole search thing for the site. We're in process of setting up a new search system, which will work on the whole site, not just one piece of it.

Currently, the search for the HUBB uses the new search engine, and is primarily accessible from the link on the very top right of the page - just under the Touratech logo when in the HUBB. When you get the results, you will also have access to a link under the results that gives you more detailed options if you didn't find what you wanted.

The rest of the site uses the OLD search engine, which still works fine on the old static pages. It's accessible in the SAME place - when NOT on a HUBB page.

Eventually it will be all one engine and much simpler.

Currently as Sophie-Bart notes, there are links to a search engine in a couple of places on the left menu - depending on where you want to search - the HUBB or the rest of the site.

As for a link on the Quicklinks tab - nice to know someone uses it - I was thinking of removing it because I never use it! So yes - good idea, thanks! I'll add search to there asap.

Hope that clarifies it a little, and sorry for the confusion - please be patient, we're getting there!

Grant

Sophie-Bart 20 Mar 2007 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Johnson (Post 130495)
...As for a link on the Quicklinks tab - nice to know someone uses it - I was thinking of removing it because I never use it! So yes - good idea, thanks! I'll add search to there asap....
Grant

Well I didnt say I used this tab :biggrin: , but after searching for the search It looked as the most promising place to look for....
Infact I dislike the Mark forums read tab very much, it's isn't documented and took me by surprice...

Anyhow thanks Grant, for the amazing pile of work you (and the others) are doing

Mick O'Malley 21 Mar 2007 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley
I know I've missed something obvious.

Fixed.

Thanks for the pointer Sophie and for all the hard work Grant and Susan.

Regards, Mick

bobkat 21 Mar 2007 15:41

I like the Mark Forums Read button. I use it to clean up (mark as read) all the threads that I was uninterested in when I'm done for the session. Then the next time I come in I can tell what is new, not just what is unread by me. I wish it was also at the top of the Forum page and on the New Posts results. As it is I have to return to the main Forum page and scroll to the bottom to use it.

I'd also noticed that the Search function was missing from the bar on the main Forum page and had to "search" to find Search. I thought the one by the Touratech logo searched the Internet not Horizon's Unlimited.

And I want to also give Grant, Susan and all the others a big
:thumbup1: Thank You :thumbup1:
for this site.:clap:

Bob

Grant Johnson 21 Mar 2007 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkat (Post 130621)
I like the Mark Forums Read button. I use it to clean up (mark as read) all the threads that I was uninterested in when I'm done for the session. Then the next time I come in I can tell what is new, not just what is unread by me. I wish it was also at the top of the Forum page and on the New Posts results. As it is I have to return to the main Forum page and scroll to the bottom to use it.

It should be on all Forum pages under Quicklink. If not let me know - something's weird!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkat (Post 130621)
I'd also noticed that the Search function was missing from the bar on the main Forum page and had to "search" to find Search. I thought the one by the Touratech logo searched the Internet not Horizon's Unlimited.

Hmmm... may have to rethink that then... anyone else?

Where SHOULD it be - remembering that it has to be in the SAME place on ALL pages not just the HUBB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkat (Post 130621)
And I want to also give Grant, Susan and all the others a big
:thumbup1: Thank You :thumbup1:
for this site.:clap:

Bob

Thanks Bob! :) It's all the info you travellers post that makes it worthwhile!

Grant

bobkat 22 Mar 2007 16:15

Hi Grant,
My suggestion would to be move the "Travellers List" link to the "About Us" menu in the lefthand column and put a "Search HUBB" in its place. I only used the "Travellers List" link once to see what it did. I have little interest in scrolling through everyone's name, but I use the "Search" fairly often. I'd rather have the "Search" link at the top of the Forums than the "Travellers List". I've also used the "New Posts" link a bit and it should stay. That's my vote, others may vary!

And thanks for the "Quick Links" info, I hadn't seen it there. That will be very handy.

Keep up the great work,
Bob


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30.


vB.Sponsors