Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Triumph Tech Forum (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/triumph-tech-forum/)
-   -   Tiger 955i - Anything I should know about ?? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/triumph-tech-forum/tiger-955i-anything-i-should-56928)

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 14:38

Tiger 955i - Anything I should know about ??
 
I'm very close to buying my first Triumph. A 2002 955i Tiger which seems in excellent condition, owned by one mature owner..

Anything I should know about when I go to view it ???

I can't find a bad review of the bike on the internet which can only be a good thing :)

Jake 2 May 2011 15:51

I had one for a while and do not have a good memory of it, around 2002/3, as a do everything bike, the engine is strong and fairly reliable, but they are very top heavy and the front end is far too soft, the gear lever disappeared on a gravel road - through road vibration I suppose, leaving me with a bit of a ride home with no gear lever ! but worse of all after riding another light gravel road with a few potholes on another occasion over Half a dozen spokes in the rear wheel cracked and then parted company with the rim - the result showed up as soon as I got onto a tarmac road and started winding on a little the bike started with a gentle weave and ended up in a rather exciting sideways movement of the rear end and a total loss of control as it felt like the rear end had blown out - it was just a rather loose rim - that along with loss of my bowels as I entered and got to the apex of the first sweeping bend I went in to this was on a bike i bought from new and had less than 4 months use so about 4 or 5000 mile. (wheel rebuilt under warranty) - but its a bike I never really grew to love nor have great confidence in - some love them though but it was never the one for me - it went exchanged for a ktm 950 which was a 1000 years ahead of the triumph in every respect. As a daily hack they are I suppose fine though.

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventure950 (Post 334405)
I had one for a while and do not have a good memory of it, around 2002/3, as a do everything bike, the engine is strong and fairly reliable, but they are very top heavy and the front end is far too soft, the gear lever disappeared on a gravel road - through road vibration I suppose, leaving me with a bit of a ride home with no gear lever ! but worse of all after riding another light gravel road with a few potholes on another occasion over Half a dozen spokes in the rear wheel cracked and then parted company with the rim - the result showed up as soon as I got onto a tarmac road and started winding on a little the bike started with a gentle weave and ended up in a rather exciting sideways movement of the rear end and a total loss of control as it felt like the rear end had blown out - it was just a rather loose rim - that along with loss of my bowels as I entered and got to the apex of the first sweeping bend I went in to this was on a bike i bought from new and had less than 4 months use so about 4 or 5000 mile. (wheel rebuilt under warranty) - but its a bike I never really grew to love nor have great confidence in - some love them though but it was never the one for me - it went exchanged for a ktm 950 which was a 1000 years ahead of the triumph in every respect. As a daily hack they are I suppose fine though.

Hmmmm ! Cheers for the info...

Could of the gear lever bolt just been lose though ?? Same with the rear spokes not being checked ??? Bad assembly ??

I doubt i'd be doing any off-roading on it.. I'm looking for a motorway mile muncher and something I go two up with the girlfriend.

I've heard about the front being very soft but I imagine it will be just like my Africa Twins. Heavier oil and maybe some stiffer springs should sort it !

I'd love a KTM but I only have a £3000 limit...

I've had too many Africa Twins, A Capanard will fall apart, the Varadero is too fugly, Dl1000s are too massive, BMW's are just not for me and KTM's too expensive. What else is there for £3000 !!! doh

Warthog 2 May 2011 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* (Post 334409)
What else is there for £3000 !!! doh


Transalp? Tidy DL650? TDM 850/900?

The first two can do dirt. The thrid is a phenomenally good road bike!

Shame you wouldn't consider BMs: you could get a nice R1100GS and these are great all-rounder bikes to ride

Jake 2 May 2011 16:15

Ted I think your right the bike had been badly prepared and yes the gear lever bolt may have been loose, the front end can be stiffened - I have a mate who has one and loves it and has done about 6 years use on it and some touring - never had a problem - funny enough I rode it recently to move it when he was moving house and it is a nice comfy bike with a good engine - but still just not my cup of tea. For what you want your right its probably a good machine.
now that a contrary reply to my previous post !

jqd05a 2 May 2011 16:19

How about a DL 650 V Strom ,mine pulls me and the missus fully laden and will cruise all day at 90 mph if you wanted to. Handles really well and considering my last bike was an FJR1300 I don't feel that I've lost much power at all in dropping to half the size.

:thumbup1:

Neil

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jqd05a (Post 334413)
How about a DL 650 V Strom ,mine pulls me and the missus fully laden and will cruise all day at 90 mph if you wanted to. Handles really well and considering my last bike was an FJR1300 I don't feel that I've lost much power at all in dropping to half the size.

:thumbup1:

Neil

Had a TDM, was ok but very boring. I really want a big cc bike after being stuck on small singles for years.. Time for a change :)

Fantastic Mister Fox 2 May 2011 17:06

I have a 955i and love it. Mines a 2006 model so has cast wheels not spoked

As a motorway mile muncher it's fantastically comfortable, I haven't taken mine of roading as I have 2 other off road bikes. I have taken her on some gravel roads at festival sites where i have worked and she was fine.

She'll sit at 70 no problem and there's always enough power to overtake anything you need to.

2 up?? My wife says she's conforrtable on the back I was only allowed it if this was tha case.

Anything else you want to know??

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantastic Mister Fox (Post 334420)
I have a 955i and love it. Mines a 2006 model so has cast wheels not spoked

As a motorway mile muncher it's fantastically comfortable, I haven't taken mine of roading as I have 2 other off road bikes. I have taken her on some gravel roads at festival sites where i have worked and she was fine.

She'll sit at 70 no problem and there's always enough power to overtake anything you need to.

2 up?? My wife says she's conforrtable on the back I was only allowed it if this was tha case.

Anything else you want to know??


Weak areas ? Things to look out for buying second hand ??

Average Mpg ? Miles out of a tank ??

Cheers, Ted :)

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warthog (Post 334410)
Transalp? Tidy DL650? TDM 850/900?

The first two can do dirt. The thrid is a phenomenally good road bike!

Shame you wouldn't consider BMs: you could get a nice R1100GS and these are great all-rounder bikes to ride

Ya know.. I'm not totally opposed to a 1100GS.. Last of the ones I would go near really. Still, they are expensive for their age/mileage and getting thin on the ground. Plus, everyone seems to want to sell them just before that mega £££ clutch change. Would you pay £2500 for a 70,000 mile machine ??


Now, 1100GS Vs 955i Tiger ??? hmmmmmmmm

Jake 2 May 2011 19:55

Ted doing the clutch on a gs1100 is not such a big deal its not a hard technical job just a bit time consuming but still easy in a day with lots of stops for a cuppa. Also if ever needed - splitting the gearbox on the gs1100 is an easier job than the gs airhead series - no mega presses needed for the later series bikes. I really would not worry about the workings and the cost of a clutch about £170/190 for all the bits needed.

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventure950 (Post 334438)
Ted doing the clutch on a gs1100 is not such a big deal its not a hard technical job just a bit time consuming but still easy in a day with lots of stops for a cuppa. Also if ever needed - splitting the gearbox on the gs1100 is an easier job than the gs airhead series - no mega presses needed for the later series bikes. I really would not worry about the workings and the cost of a clutch about £170/190 for all the bits needed.

That's not so bad I guess....

You'd still be looking at double the age and mileage for almost the same cost though.... It's not just clutches that wear out !

I've always been very impressed with Triumph build quality with the ones that came through the dealership. Never any big problems and they seemed to age well. Probably because they're built by Brits, knowing the British weather/roads etc.

That fruity big triple too... oooooooooooooooooo

trophydave 2 May 2011 21:00

Ted,I would be interested to know how you get on with the Tiger if you buy it.I have an Africa Twin and a 955 Sprint ST and I thinking that a Tiger might well be my next bike to replace both of them.

*Touring Ted* 2 May 2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophydave (Post 334445)
Ted,I would be interested to know how you get on with the Tiger if you buy it.I have an Africa Twin and a 955 Sprint ST and I thinking that a Tiger might well be my next bike to replace both of them.

I've had three Africa Twins.. I'll let you know how they compare..(if I get one, which I probably will)

Fantastic Mister Fox 2 May 2011 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* (Post 334429)
Weak areas ? Things to look out for buying second hand ??

Average Mpg ? Miles out of a tank ??

Cheers, Ted :)

The tank is just over 20 litres and if you keep at sensible speeds you'll get about 220miles before the reservelight comes on. Then you've got 30 miles to fill up.

In town driving I get about 180 miles between fill ups.

Week points: The gear box is very clunky and not very smooth. The centre of gravity is very high. I'm 5'9" and Probably would have major issues with it if I was any shorter.

She's great fun on twisty roads and really easy to manouver.

The next best thing is the market is currently flooded with 955i as all the tiger lovers out there are now trading in for the 800XC.



I hope this helps.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:15.


vB.Sponsors