Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Transport (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/)
-   -   Yucatan to Cuba? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/yucatan-to-cuba-47316)

freewheelin frank 27 Dec 2009 14:09

Yucatan to Cuba?
 
Does anyone know the cost of shipping myself and my bike to Cuba from the Yucatan? I would like to spend at least a month exploring the island if possible.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the ride!

FF

larrysimpson 27 Dec 2009 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by freewheelin frank (Post 269290)
Does anyone know the cost of shipping myself and my bike to Cuba from the Yucatan? I would like to spend at least a month exploring the island if possible.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the ride!

FF


Hi FWFrank

If you find a way to get cleared by the government of CUba to take a bike there and tour around, please let me know. I suspect costs of shipment will be the least of problems, compared to the political and bureaucratic resistance. As far as I know only a handful of outsiders have been able to go there with their bikes. Some of the hotels have scooters up to 100 cc or so, and some cubans have Jawa and MZ bikes brought back with them from working stints in other communist satellite countries. But you won't find any motorcycle dealers there. I have been to CUba many times and this is my perception. I would dearly love to take my bike there and roam around, it is a country made for motorcycling. Maybe as the country gradually opens up it will be easier....

freewheelin frank 29 Dec 2009 14:58

Thanks Larry.

mika 29 Dec 2009 16:34

cuba
 
hi larry,

sorry to say, but your impression is wrong. I took my Tenere in 2004 to Cuba and getting it out of the airport was quite easy (even getting a cuban numberplate). it was difficult to get it into an airplane in Caracas. but you are right about mc dealers etc.

hi frank,

go for it, just find a boat ...

but I stayed only ten days on Cuba, because I did not like it - but this is a different story.

greetings from Greece
Mika

larrysimpson 1 Jan 2010 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mika (Post 269562)
hi larry,

sorry to say, but your impression is wrong. I took my Tenere in 2004 to Cuba and getting it out of the airport was quite easy (even getting a cuban numberplate). it was difficult to get it into an airplane in Caracas. but you are right about mc dealers etc.

hi frank,

go for it, just find a boat ...

but I stayed only ten days on Cuba, because I did not like it - but this is a different story.

greetings from Greece
Mika


Hi Mika and Frank
I would be very happy to be wrong on this. Maybe easier doing it from a South American country like Venezuala? Frank, please keep me informed on your progress as I would dearly love to make the trip also. I have been to Cuba many times (love it, the people and culture but not the government), and have very good friends there in Santiago de Cuba. I have bicycled in Cuba and always lusted for motorcycling there.
CHeers
Larry

freewheelin frank 2 Jan 2010 14:54

Thanks for the advice Mika. If I find a way over with the bike I will surely let everyone know.

Enjoy the ride!

FF

larrysimpson 2 Jan 2010 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by freewheelin frank (Post 269991)
Thanks for the advice Mika. If I find a way over with the bike I will surely let everyone know.

Enjoy the ride!

FF


Hey Frank

If you are in Mexico or any latin country down there it might be a good idea to find a Cuban embassy or consulate and talk to them and seek their advice, on boats, approvals, etc. I would be happy to join you depending on when you head over and from where. There are a lot of Mexicans who travel to Cuba on airlines and I suspect there are ships too.

Good luck
Larry

freewheelin frank 3 Jan 2010 15:26

Hi Larrry,

I plan to go to the embassy when I get to the Yucatan. I should be heading to Mexico from Florida by the end of January. If I can get the bike to Cuba I will go from there. Otherwise I may just leave my bike with a friend in Playa Del Carmen and fly to Cuba for a few weeks then head to Panama from Mexico. I could always use some company and meet new friends.

Enjoy the ride,

FF

mika 3 Jan 2010 15:40

Hi Frank,

the embassy will tell you, that it is not possible to take your bike into Cuba. Thats what they told me, but I tried anyway, and there was a special procedure for travellers bringing in their bikes I found out with customs in Havanna.

Enjoy your trip

Mika from Turkey

maja 4 Jan 2010 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mika (Post 270109)
Hi Frank,

the embassy will tell you, that it is not possible to take your bike into Cuba. Thats what they told me, but I tried anyway, and there was a special procedure for travellers bringing in their bikes I found out with customs in Havanna.

Enjoy your trip

Mika from Turkey

Hi Mika, any chance of telling us what the "special procedure" for getting into Cuba with a moto is?

larrysimpson 4 Jan 2010 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by freewheelin frank (Post 270107)
Hi Larrry,

I plan to go to the embassy when I get to the Yucatan. I should be heading to Mexico from Florida by the end of January. If I can get the bike to Cuba I will go from there. Otherwise I may just leave my bike with a friend in Playa Del Carmen and fly to Cuba for a few weeks then head to Panama from Mexico. I could always use some company and meet new friends.

Enjoy the ride,

FF


Hi Frank
You are leaving end of January? I was booked to fly to Orlando from Nova Scotia Jan. 8 this Friday but may have to delay a week or two. My bike is at friends in Lake Placid. I will see if I can get an answer from Cuban embassy folks in Ottawa about procedures for taking the bike there. Give it a try anyway.

Cheers
Larry

mika 5 Jan 2010 10:19

Hi Mike,

the special procedure is for travellers bringing in their bikes. it is straight forward, the customs will help you complete this procedure. I know of at least five bikers that have been to Cuba. But I guess you need to speak Spanish, or have somebody translating.

It is possible, this is what I can tell you. I dont remember all the steps for the this procedure, but I had to get a cuban numberplate.

Also leaving was easy from the marina in Santiago de Cuba.

Enjoy
Mika

larrysimpson 6 Jan 2010 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mika (Post 270377)
Hi Mike,

the special procedure is for travellers bringing in their bikes. it is straight forward, the customs will help you complete this procedure. I know of at least five bikers that have been to Cuba. But I guess you need to speak Spanish, or have somebody translating.

It is possible, this is what I can tell you. I dont remember all the steps for the this procedure, but I had to get a cuban numberplate.

Also leaving was easy from the marina in Santiago de Cuba.

Enjoy
Mika

Hi Mika
I'm glad you spoke up on this. The website www.aduana.co.cu/.net confirms it is possible, at least for up to 30 days on the regular tourist designation. Doesn't say much about fees or anything. Any suggestions on shipping by sea, from where, how much, etc? Would love to ship in and out of Santiago but Havana would be great too.
Thanks
Larry


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:22.


vB.Sponsors