Shipping to South Africa: the costs and what to do
I collected our bikes this morning from the Durban Harbour. We shipped them form Banjul in Gambia.
Just to share the info with you, this is what we payed and what had to be done:
- Booked through a shipping agent, and shipped with P&O-Nedloyd;
- Freight: U$ 1000,- in a 20 foot container;
- We strapped the bikes ourselves;
- Ship took app. 20 days (planned was 15 days);
- In Durban we had to pay U$ 550,- (the said it would be U$ 75,- extra for:
* Wharfige (U$ 175,-);
* Terminal Handling Charges (U$175,-)(lifting the container from the boat):
* Transport to unpacking depot (U$ 80);
* Unpacking the container (U$ 40 per item);
* Customs Exam (easy with a carnet) (U$ 40);
We had a shipping agent helping us. They know the way. You can do it your selfs, that saves you U$95,-.
Mail me if you want to know more...