Originally Posted by SPDilley
So... what happened in the end???
who did you frieght with and how much did it cost.
shame to have the topic opened without a conclusion.
I am looking to do the same. Would appreciate it if you would post your experience!!
I'm sorry (and I apologize to everyone) if I have not posted how it went in Brazil, but I have been very busy in recent months to write the book on my "Around the World in 83 Days" (unfortunately only in Italian).
I answer you now.
1) I flew from Rio to Dakar with Luthansa. The plane flew from Rio to Dakar (direct flight); the same Lufthansa transported the motorcycle with his truck from Rio to Sao Paulo.
2) All cost $ 6,520: $ 3,625 for the flight, $ 285 transportation to the airport (trucks from Rio to Sao Paulo), 1,415 wooden crate, $ 1,195 taxes and fees.
My opinion: bad service.
1) Cash built too large (by a company chosen by the shipper) who then did cost a little more shipping.
2) Behavior of Luthansa and customs Brazilian ignoble. I handed the bike to time in Rio, Luthansa has been slow to carry the bike in Sao Paulo (it seems because there was no space on the truck or delays in customs) and, although there were still two days before the flight from Sao Paulo, Luthansa decided to load my bike on the next flight, a week after!
So I delivered the bike in Rio Monday, December 2, 2013 and I just got over in Dakar Monday, December 16, after 2 weeks!
I have sent many emails of protest and urge you to Luthansa (and have done dozens of motorcyclists my Italian friends), but Luthansa has NEVER responded to NONE! Attention to the customer equal to 0!
3) Brazilian Bureaucracy stupid, dull and slow: they demanded a certified copy of all my documents and a notary idiot even claimed the Portuguese translation of my passport (which, being an Italian passport, has already been translated into all the languages of 'European Union, and Portuguese included).
Throughout my trip around the world, Brazil (and Lufthansa) have proven the worst country (and the worst company) to ship the bike in the air.
Anyway, I completed the Around the World in 83 days, I have seen so many interesting things and it was beautiful