Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Transport

Trip Transport Shipping the bike and yourself.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

UK Motorcycle Shipping Experts!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25 Feb 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 35
Shipped Girag, Feb 22, Panama/Bogota

Just shipped two bikes with Girag this week. All worked just as promised. Only minor wrinkle with slow customs clearance on Colombian end. Girag folks were great.
Stopped on street by police, demand for insurance docs. We didn't have, so couldn't move bikes until obtained, but insurance office four blocks away. I went and bought one month policies, came back and coo points out policy not effective until midnight. We argued and pevailed to move bikes to dealership (our destination). He then commented that a one month policy is not legal, that policies must at least a year. We are ignoring that for now.
If questions, gimme a holler.

Mike and Heather, in Bogota!
Haciendolo…
__________________
Mike R.
Santiago, Chile
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Truron Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Just shipped two bikes with Girag this week. All worked just as promised. Only minor wrinkle with slow customs clearance on Colombian end. Girag folks were great.
Stopped on street by police, demand for insurance docs. We didn't have, so couldn't move bikes until obtained, but insurance office four blocks away. I went and bought one month policies, came back and coo points out policy not effective until midnight. We argued and pevailed to move bikes to dealership (our destination). He then commented that a one month policy is not legal, that policies must at least a year. We are ignoring that for now.
If questions, gimme a holler.

Mike and Heather, in Bogota!
Haciendolo…

Hi Mike and Heather
I am in Panama shipping to Colombia next few days. What was price for bikes? I have R100GS which weights about 230 kg. What about COPA, not cheaper, not doing bikes now? How long in advance you have to book? Could you fly same day or next? Any better place to ship to as in Bogota, Cartegena, Medelin? Ha, so many questions and so little time. Bless you.

Larry Simpson, presently in western Panama visiting friends from Canada, heading to Panama city couple days. I am also checking on options for sailing by boat through San Blas Islands in contact with Wunderhostel folks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25 Feb 2010
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Just shipped two bikes with Girag this week. All worked just as promised. Only minor wrinkle with slow customs clearance on Colombian end. Girag folks were great.
Stopped on street by police, demand for insurance docs. We didn't have, so couldn't move bikes until obtained, but insurance office four blocks away. I went and bought one month policies, came back and coo points out policy not effective until midnight. We argued and pevailed to move bikes to dealership (our destination). He then commented that a one month policy is not legal, that policies must at least a year. We are ignoring that for now.
If questions, gimme a holler.

Mike and Heather, in Bogota!
Haciendolo…
Hi Mike,

I think we saw the both of you yesterday at the dealership (in the shop).
About the insurance, we purchased 3 months (the minimum) for Seguros del Estado without any problems. They have offices all over Colombia. We were asked to present insurance on one occasion (near Popayan) and the officer did not mention anything about the lenght of coverage.
One last thing, we did not get the vests and nobody ever gave us any grief despite riding past and being stopped at numerous checkpoints. They simply do not seem to care about the vests for tourists.
__________________
Brian

www.2uprtw.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26 Feb 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 35
No muss, no fuss

Tried to contact Copa, no response. Called Girag and was told only need to get bike to them before 10am day before shipment. Cost independant of bike weight. $901.38/bike in cash only. Dropped off bikes, flew next morning, bikes there waiting before noon. Other destinations? Probably, but suggest you give them a call. Number is on their web site. We wanted to visit Bogota, which has been great. Also, was time for service and Edgar at Autogermana treated us like old friends, did all we asked and more, on the spot. Hope all goes as well for you!
See you on the road...
mr
__________________
Mike R.
Santiago, Chile
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Truron Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Just shipped two bikes with Girag this week. All worked just as promised. Only minor wrinkle with slow customs clearance on Colombian end. Girag folks were great.
Stopped on street by police, demand for insurance docs. We didn't have, so couldn't move bikes until obtained, but insurance office four blocks away. I went and bought one month policies, came back and coo points out policy not effective until midnight. We argued and pevailed to move bikes to dealership (our destination). He then commented that a one month policy is not legal, that policies must at least a year. We are ignoring that for now.
If questions, gimme a holler.

Mike and Heather, in Bogota!
Haciendolo…
I guess I will be at Girag tomorrow, assuming they are open Saturdays. Did you look at the boating option and give that idea up as inefficient and unpredictable, though cheaper?

Cheers
Larry Simpson, in Panama
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27 Feb 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 35
yes, predictable

Yep, the reason we chose Girag was the promised (and delivered) one day shipment. You may have read before -- just go in the Carga gate (follow the signs when you get to the airport). As you ride into the traffic circle that surrounds the parking lot, their office is on your right. This is important: they only take cash, and once you get your airway bill, you need to go all the way back out to the entrance checkpoint for the cargo area with the airway bill and your passport and Panama entry docs and get the bike stamped out of the country, then return to Girag to drop off the bike. Ask them to call you a cab -- they're a bit scarce out there.

Once in Bogota, you can catch a cab if you have lots of luggage, but you're only traveling a few blocks. The Girag "bodega" (warehouse) is in a facility on your right as you leave the terminal. You get your docs from them and then have to cross the road to go to the aduana (customs) office and there...bring some patience. You may be there a while. And if you travel by Avianca (we did) treat yourself to a biz class ticket -- it's godawful snazzy and only $32 more than coach.

Happy trails!
__________________
Mike R.
Santiago, Chile
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Truron Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Yep, the reason we chose Girag was the promised (and delivered) one day shipment. You may have read before -- just go in the Carga gate (follow the signs when you get to the airport). As you ride into the traffic circle that surrounds the parking lot, their office is on your right. This is important: they only take cash, and once you get your airway bill, you need to go all the way back out to the entrance checkpoint for the cargo area with the airway bill and your passport and Panama entry docs and get the bike stamped out of the country, then return to Girag to drop off the bike. Ask them to call you a cab -- they're a bit scarce out there.

Once in Bogota, you can catch a cab if you have lots of luggage, but you're only traveling a few blocks. The Girag "bodega" (warehouse) is in a facility on your right as you leave the terminal. You get your docs from them and then have to cross the road to go to the aduana (customs) office and there...bring some patience. You may be there a while. And if you travel by Avianca (we did) treat yourself to a biz class ticket -- it's godawful snazzy and only $32 more than coach.

Happy trails!
Thanks much, Mike. That's all a big assist.
Cheers
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Truron Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Yep, the reason we chose Girag was the promised (and delivered) one day shipment. You may have read before -- just go in the Carga gate (follow the signs when you get to the airport). As you ride into the traffic circle that surrounds the parking lot, their office is on your right. This is important: they only take cash, and once you get your airway bill, you need to go all the way back out to the entrance checkpoint for the cargo area with the airway bill and your passport and Panama entry docs and get the bike stamped out of the country, then return to Girag to drop off the bike. Ask them to call you a cab -- they're a bit scarce out there.

Once in Bogota, you can catch a cab if you have lots of luggage, but you're only traveling a few blocks. The Girag "bodega" (warehouse) is in a facility on your right as you leave the terminal. You get your docs from them and then have to cross the road to go to the aduana (customs) office and there...bring some patience. You may be there a while. And if you travel by Avianca (we did) treat yourself to a biz class ticket -- it's godawful snazzy and only $32 more than coach.

Happy trails!
I have had no luck with contacting Copa or Girag by email or phone. I will go directly to airport and just fine cargo offices. But today is Saturday and I assume customs offices are closed on weekends? Cargo offices presumably open? I am visiting Canadian friends on holiday at Playa Farallon 1.5 hours west of Panama City so still a bit to go.

Cheers
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3 Mar 2010
GastonUSAChilePeru
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Miami Cartagena

There is another option for those crossing from the eastern U.S. to Colombia.
An agent have quoted me both air and sea shipment back in January 2010

The quote was based in crated enduro bike KLR or DS type (pretty much standard). Here are the details

Miami -Cartagena SEA SHIPPING latest Jan 2010
Anybody interested on SEA shipping RoRo a crated bike from MIAMI to CARTAGENA let me know I got a quote from my agent in Miami.
The quote is based on a regular KLR650, Suzuki DR650 or similar bike size in a box.
The bike should be taken to the seaport (can be arrange with the agent around $75 to $100 extra).

The calculated size of the box is a Crate 400 lbs 78inch long x38inch Hx30 inch W = 51 cft/1.45 m3

Shipping Freight $ 325.00 (price are good January 30th 2010)
Bill of Lading L $45.00
US VALIDATION $ 125.00
SED $ 45.00
-----------
Total $ 540.00

A similar quote for AIR SHIPPIN
G is around $950 MIAMI-BOGOTA

Crating cost is not included. Storage & Delivery at the port by the agent
could be arranged at extra cost, no problem.
The bike shall be delivered at the port at least 72 hrs for custom validation.
An agent in Cartagena to be recommended later.

Let me know at

samericaxplorer@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4 Mar 2010
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 1,990
Just a FYI note: a KLR weighs more than 400 lbs even empty and unloaded. Mine weighed over 600 lbs as is when Copa weighed me in Panama City: five hard cases full of crap, plus guards and racks and all the rest. It's also far more than 30 inches wide and 38 high, but maybe if you disassemble thoroughly you can make it fit. Don't know if this matters to you (or anyone) at this point, but thought I'd point it out.

Mark

(from Puerto Varas, another pretty, friendly, expensive well-touristed Chilean town)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 Nov 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChilePeru View Post
There is another option for those crossing from the eastern U.S. to Colombia.
An agent have quoted me both air and sea shipment back in January 2010

The quote was based in crated enduro bike KLR or DS type (pretty much standard). Here are the details

Miami -Cartagena SEA SHIPPING latest Jan 2010
Anybody interested on SEA shipping RoRo a crated bike from MIAMI to CARTAGENA let me know I got a quote from my agent in Miami.
The quote is based on a regular KLR650, Suzuki DR650 or similar bike size in a box.
The bike should be taken to the seaport (can be arrange with the agent around $75 to $100 extra).

The calculated size of the box is a Crate 400 lbs 78inch long x38inch Hx30 inch W = 51 cft/1.45 m3

Shipping Freight $ 325.00 (price are good January 30th 2010)
Bill of Lading L $45.00
US VALIDATION $ 125.00
SED $ 45.00
-----------
Total $ 540.00

A similar quote for AIR SHIPPIN
G is around $950 MIAMI-BOGOTA

Crating cost is not included. Storage & Delivery at the port by the agent
could be arranged at extra cost, no problem.
The bike shall be delivered at the port at least 72 hrs for custom validation.
An agent in Cartagena to be recommended later.

Let me know at

samericaxplorer@gmail.com

Did you recieve a contact for an agent in Cartagena? Looking to ship Colombia-Miami and interested in all options. Thanks!
__________________
The world belongs to those who don’t let anxiety about screwing up keep them from moving forward.
- UNK
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just used Girag to go from Panama to Bogota omhughes Trip Transport 7 11 Feb 2011 19:12
Check-out with Girag in Panama Werner Central America and Mexico 2 1 Oct 2005 17:41
Check-in with Girag in Bogota Werner South America 0 30 Sep 2005 05:04
Girag Takeout in Bogota, a crash course Werner South America 1 25 Aug 2005 06:14
Girag Air Cargo still going Panama to Quito Twintraveller Trip Transport 1 4 Apr 2005 15:37

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:30.