Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Transport (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/)
-   -   motorbike registration, Alberta, Canada (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/motorbike-registration-alberta-canada-2594)

marondm 24 Jan 2003 09:33

motorbike registration, Alberta, Canada
I have been investigating shipping/flying my bike to Katmandu to continue on my RTW adventure. However, I have run into a snag. My motorcycle registration in Alberta expires Feb. 28th and Alberta Registry tell me they can't renew it since it is out of the country. My carnet states I must have the bike registered and quotes the license #. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so do you have any suggestions on what I can do. It looks like I will have to ship the bike back to Canada, get the insurance and registration renewed and then continue. That's a huge extra expense and seems senseless to me. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
Thanks, Doris, Untamed Spirit

chris 24 Jan 2003 19:07

a little bird once told me that you might want to consider extending your registration yourself. the bird told me a good scanner, adobe photoshop and a good printer could do the trick...

it is very very very very unlikely that an asian (or african, or latin american for that matter) official would know the difference between a genuine doc and a good manufactured doc. mostly the officials are interested in the carnet de passage (genuine version...) anyway.
good luck,
the bird's friend http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sojourner 26 Jan 2003 21:07

I assume you're still in Canada.
I'm leaving on a trip as well and my registration expires on Feb 19. Here in Ontario you can renew it at least 2 months before it expires, and do so for 2 years. This way it should be valid for the purpose of getting the carnet, and if it later expires, use the suggestion above.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22.