Just Shipped A Truck South Africa to UK - Prices
Incase anybody planning something similar, here goes:
1. I used Wilhelmsen to ship a truck back from South Africa to UK. Vessel calls at Durban and Port Elizabeth, going to Southampton via Zebrugge. Ship took 2 weeks from loading to arriving in UK. Vessel name TORREADOR.
2. Wilhelmsen are SUPERB. Fantastic communication and very efficient. I do not hesitate to reccomend them, they wiped the floor with the competition with regards price and efficiency. Theyre always back intouch with the answers to your query within hours.
3. For a Mercedes 1617 truck, approx 8 tonnes weight, dimensions 3.4 meters high, 7 meters long, 2.5 meters wide.
They charge 65usdollars per cubic meter, so you times the length by the height by the width, then multiply that figure by 65.
Once you have that figure, you add on 23% of that for a BAF charge (fuel surcharge). This percentage seems to change according to fuel prices, so could go up or down.
4. Local charges at Port Elizabeth were numerous (5 things to pay for in total). Everything from customs scan to bill of loading to customs fees.....totalled 6900rand, which was at a 11.46 to the pound exchange rate.
5. Once in Southampton, we had to pay 60 pounds to customs for the bill of landing. We had a carnet de passage but basically the Brits dont care about it (but then why would they?)......so even though we are Brits and the vehicle was British, we still had a 60 pound fee at Southampton.
6. This was on a RO RO ferry (not a flat rack or container, these options were WAY more expensive). Also port fees were slightly more out of Durban so we opted for Port Elizabeth.
7. We didnt actually pay the shipping or BAF charge until back in UK. It can be worth while waiting until the dollar pound exchange rate is in your favour.
All in all Wilhelmsen were brilliant, I can recommend them if you need to ship your vehicle.
Dave The Hat
|All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30.|