Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Transport (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/)
-   -   I just picked up my bike in Bogota (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/i-just-picked-up-my-41260)

Cartagenabound 4 Mar 2009 00:11

I just picked up my bike in Bogota
 
I just picked up my bike in Bogota

I made it to Panama on Saturday the 21st of February. I was hoping to get by bike sent to Bogota on the following Monday. What luck!!! It was carnival and nothing is open until Thursday the 26th. I stayed for the week and hung out. Everything was good, except I drove into an area I should not have. There were all kinds of scroungy people throwing rocks, bottles, sticks and so forth. At first I thought it was just part of normal carnival. Water, powder etc.. Harmless.

As I turned around to hightail it out of there some hoodlums ran up to me on my bike and grabbed my tank bag. It was a real nice one held on with magnets. Additionally I had my camera and phone in it. A few personal items and that was it. Lucky no documents!!

Anyway, I hung around Panama for the week and I am glad I did. I saw the Panama Canal, eat some good food, checked out the malls, and so on and so forth. Part of this was my own fault. I always, park my bike in the hotels secure parking and head out to explore the city by taxis. I have no business wandering around a strange and dangerous town on a giant red motorcycle. It was just such a beautiful day.

So I headed out to the Cargo area of the Panama City Airport. It was a long way and it to is through some very dicey areas.

First I visited Copa. They were quoting $650.00 to Medellin and that is where I wanted to go. Once I got there the cargo boss was not sure if a plane was gong this week, next week or if at all. He tells me things have been real slow. Then he said if they do not go to Medellin, he would just send it to Bogota and call me when it arrives. Wow, that instills a lot of confidence!!!

Next stop, Garig. Very helpful. The plane is going on Friday and your bike will be in Bogota at 5:00pm. They seemed to have their shit together. However $900.00, cash only Ouch!!!

I left my bike, went over to the Passenger terminal. I purchased a ticket to Cartagena and was home by 2:00 in the afternoon.

Tuesday morning (today) I caught an early flight to Bogota. Upon arriving I found the Garig Freight terminal. Very easy. There was my bike, just like I left it in Panama. So nice. The Garig guy walked me over to Customs. He filled out all the papaerwor for me and all I did was show my documents. I asked for a year and the customs lady was not too sure about that. We settled on 6 months and she said I could redo it in Cartagena later. I did not pay 1 single peso. Nada!!!

As always, nothing can always be perfect. Big Red did not feel right as I drove her through the warehouse and down the steps. Then I knew what was up. Another flat!!! My second one this trip. No big deal. I pulled my handy dandy compressor from under the seat. I put 40 lbs in it and it is still holding. Tomorrow I will go to the Suzuki dealer and see what is up. After that I will head to Medellin for day or two, Monteria for a night and then home to Cartagena. If anyone is heading to Cartagena, let me know. I have an extra room, I live on the beach and I will be ready to ride

Martin

OcoeeG 6 Dec 2009 17:28

Info. on bringing bikes into Colombia
 
Martin,
I tried to PM you but I have less than 5 posts(just signed up). I am looking for more information about bringing a bike into Colombia. I just took a job in Medellin for 2 years starting in July. I have a sweet xr650r that I would love to have down there. I a bike like that down there would be very expensive. I imagine. What is the skinny on getting your bike down there for at least a year. I have read a few posts about it but I was wondering how things are panning out for you. PLease let me know what you can thanks!

Cartagenabound 8 Dec 2009 12:22

Easy in, Impossible out…..
 
Ocoeeg:

Colombia is no problem. You can bring your bike in to use on a temporary basis for up to 6 months and then ask for a 6 months extension. Please remember, your bike can not be in the country for longer than you have a valid visa. If you and or your bike then leave the country, the law does not prohibit you from starting all over again. Shipping your bike into Colombia is very easy and virtually no cost. Shipping the bike out is next to impossible and if you can get some one to ship your bike, the cost is thousands of dollars.

Good luck, Martin
martin@martinpublishing.com

channing 28 Dec 2009 06:10

Panama to Bagota
 
HOLY CRAP! so did you pay 900 US dollars to ship your bike from Panama to Columbia...and then more money for you to get on an airplane and meet it there??? That seems like sooooo much cash.

That sucks about your camera and phone getting stolen, you have a great attitude about it though.

kaiserkyhl 3 Jan 2010 19:31

Hi Martin & co

This is not entirely true anymore. You can only bring the bike in on a tourist VISA, if you hold residency, work or student VISA you do no longer hold the right to bring a vehicle in on a temporary tourist importation permit!

It no problem bringing the bike in with a tourist visa though, and you can keep extending the import permit along side your tourist visa - up to 6 months per calender year. The other 6 month per year the bike must be outside Colombia!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartagenabound (Post 267102)
Ocoeeg:

Colombia is no problem. You can bring your bike in to use on a temporary basis for up to 6 months and then ask for a 6 months extension. Please remember, your bike can not be in the country for longer than you have a valid visa. If you and or your bike then leave the country, the law does not prohibit you from starting all over again. Shipping your bike into Colombia is very easy and virtually no cost. Shipping the bike out is next to impossible and if you can get some one to ship your bike, the cost is thousands of dollars.

Good luck, Martin
martin@martinpublishing.com


dolickc 14 Jan 2010 16:55

Hi all,
I just posted a message on another Page asking about this issue.
Can I fly in with my bike, stay a few weeks, leave my bike for a little less than a year and come back and ride out of the country without issue? You mentioned 6 months that the bike can stay. Would it be possible to extend this from a consulate here in Canada?
I hope you are enjoying Cartegena. If you have not ventured out and would like a smaller town, Tanganga to the north is really nice as well. A day's ride but leave before the wind picks up. I'm sure you've discovered this already ! jaja
Craig

kaiserkyhl 14 Jan 2010 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolickc (Post 271632)
Hi all,
I just posted a message on another Page asking about this issue.
Can I fly in with my bike, stay a few weeks, leave my bike for a little less than a year and come back and ride out of the country without issue? You mentioned 6 months that the bike can stay. Would it be possible to extend this from a consulate here in Canada?
I hope you are enjoying Cartegena. If you have not ventured out and would like a smaller town, Tanganga to the north is really nice as well. A day's ride but leave before the wind picks up. I'm sure you've discovered this already ! jaja
Craig

Well 6 month is the maximum per calender year. Normally you only get 2 month on the border and then you can extend one month at a time up to a total of 6. This is done at the DIAN and can only be done in person when you already have the VISA extention for yourself in your passport. They officially do not allow you to leave the country without your bike. So no matter what its illegal, but can of cause be done. Several people overstay and leave the country without problems. Your problems are if you get stopped on the way to the border on an expired import permit, then the police can conficate your bike on the spot.

dolickc 16 Jan 2010 04:58

hmmm, this is not the news that I was wishing for. There is many police stops (and Military) - thank you - and not being able to fly home without the bike is another limitation. Mike, do you know if all the other countries in SA are similar?

Craig

kaiserkyhl 17 Jan 2010 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolickc (Post 271866)
hmmm, this is not the news that I was wishing for. There is many police stops (and Military) - thank you - and not being able to fly home without the bike is another limitation. Mike, do you know if all the other countries in SA are similar?

Craig

Well not legally!, but in Colombia they do not stamp anything about the bike in your passport like they do in several other latin american countries, so in reality your free to come and go as you please, as long as you bring out the bike before the permit expires or come back to extend the permit in time.

When that's said, (and I'm not recommending traveling with fake papers but merely passing on information), many people do (change dates on permits, fake titles, un-registered bikes, different owners and so on) and even last week I went with a traveler to the customs here to get an extension of an expired import permit and the only solution the boss of customs offered was that we should fake the papers/change the dates. He even offered to do it, just so there would be no problems if the bike got stopped by the police. This way the bike could be ridden to the border and checked into Ecuador no problems.

So like the customs officer explained: be happy we're not in a country like in Europe where there's only one way of doing things, here the road to fix a problem have several routes ;-)

Mickey D 23 Jan 2010 04:43

HELP with shipping into Colombia?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartagenabound (Post 267102)
Ocoeeg:

Colombia is no problem. You can bring your bike in to use on a temporary basis for up to 6 months and then ask for a 6 months extension. Please remember, your bike can not be in the country for longer than you have a valid visa. If you and or your bike then leave the country, the law does not prohibit you from starting all over again. Shipping your bike into Colombia is very easy and virtually no cost. Shipping the bike out is next to impossible and if you can get some one to ship your bike, the cost is thousands of dollars.

Good luck, Martin
martin@martinpublishing.com

Martin or Mike, Greetings!
Hope all is well down Colombia way!

I'm researching shipping a bike into Colombia (Cartagena) from Miami.
I saw Mike's post about this long while back. No updates and no reports from travelers who have actually done this.

Mike mentioned a company that sails once a week from Miami. Quoted at $400 plus port fees. Do you have any direct info or advice about shipping my bike over?

Seems this could be valuable to many US based travelers, especially those on a time limit, or those who've already spent time in Cent. Am.
I'm kind of astonished no one has followed this up and done this.
Could we be seeing some special interest/conflict of interest here?

Lets do the math:
Option One:
Ride from East coast a thousand miles to Mexico (or whatever), then another 2500 miles South through Mex. and Cent. America, crossing endless borders from Hell, then pay $1500 to fly for 10 minutes from Panama to Colombia. Such a Deal!

Option Two:
Ride to Miami, ship bike for $400 (plus port fees) Fly yourself for another $200 or $300. (or less).

Option two looks pretty good to me. Saves a ton of time and money.

Any help on this much appreciated!

McD

Lee C 23 Jan 2010 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey D (Post 273009)
Martin or Mike, Greetings!
Hope all is well down Colombia way!

I'm researching shipping a bike into Colombia (Cartagena) from Miami.
I saw Mike's post about this long while back. No updates and no reports from travelers who have actually done this.

Mike mentioned a company that sails once a week from Miami. Quoted at $400 plus port fees. Do you have any direct info or advice about shipping my bike over?

Seems this could be valuable to many US based travelers, especially those on a time limit, or those who've already spent time in Cent. Am.
I'm kind of astonished no one has followed this up and done this.
Could we be seeing some special interest/conflict of interest here?

Lets do the math:
Option One:
Ride from East coast a thousand miles to Mexico (or whatever), then another 2500 miles South through Mex. and Cent. America, crossing endless borders from Hell, then pay $1500 to fly for 10 minutes from Panama to Colombia. Such a Deal!

Option Two:
Ride to Miami, ship bike for $400 (plus port fees) Fly yourself for another $200 or $300. (or less).

Option two looks pretty good to me. Saves a ton of time and money.

Any help on this much appreciated!

McD

Post up when you figure it out and Good Luck :thumbup1:

kaiserkyhl 24 Jan 2010 00:45

Well yes it seams like a good deal to skip the border hassle in Central America and come straight here to beautiful Colombia and do a SA adventure. I ended up flying Miami to Cali.

But yes I got a quote which in total ended up at about U$500 for a crated bike in a shared container on a boat that is supposed to leave Miami port once a week directly to Cartagena.

But since I flew I never actually got the contact info in the port and do not know who to contact. This is 2 years ago now.

I'd go to the port in Miami and ask around and definitely post what ever you find out here as I've gotten the same question 20 times or more now!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey D (Post 273009)
Martin or Mike, Greetings!
Hope all is well down Colombia way!

I'm researching shipping a bike into Colombia (Cartagena) from Miami.
I saw Mike's post about this long while back. No updates and no reports from travelers who have actually done this.

Mike mentioned a company that sails once a week from Miami. Quoted at $400 plus port fees. Do you have any direct info or advice about shipping my bike over?

Seems this could be valuable to many US based travelers, especially those on a time limit, or those who've already spent time in Cent. Am.
I'm kind of astonished no one has followed this up and done this.
Could we be seeing some special interest/conflict of interest here?

Lets do the math:
Option One:
Ride from East coast a thousand miles to Mexico (or whatever), then another 2500 miles South through Mex. and Cent. America, crossing endless borders from Hell, then pay $1500 to fly for 10 minutes from Panama to Colombia. Such a Deal!

Option Two:
Ride to Miami, ship bike for $400 (plus port fees) Fly yourself for another $200 or $300. (or less).

Option two looks pretty good to me. Saves a ton of time and money.

Any help on this much appreciated!

McD



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:19.


vB.Sponsors