Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Transport (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/)
-   -   buying a bike in australia and shipping it to Paris versus b (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/buying-bike-australia-shipping-paris-3023)

michael cummins 30 Jan 2006 12:01

buying a bike in australia and shipping it to Paris versus b
I am booked to fly to Paris, from australia on 7th July 2006 and was wondering wether it is better to buy a bike in australia and ship it to paris or buy one over there. Im in europe for 2 months and intend to ride paris/spain/italy and accross to ireland. Would appreciate any help. mike

Simon Kennedy 30 Jan 2006 16:21

Have you researched the costs of shipping? I recall that there are some pretty good deals in Oz for shipping to the UK.

Tip: France tends to use the ports in the low countries, so you might want to enguire as to costs there, along with French ports. They are close - a few hours on the train from the airport CDG. (Do yo speak French? In northern Europe, everyone will be able to help you in English).

The problems with buying here are 1. You have to sell here, and 2. You may need proof of residence. Perhaps the Paris community could help you out with advice. Write to them direct.

Otherwise, it is a lot less hassle to buy in my opinion.

Shipping, even when it is cheap, is expensive. And even in Europe there is a lot of bothersome admin and a whole host of charges. And then you have to ship back again - more tedium. The other disadvantage is the carnet, which you will need. Lots of info on this site.


mustaphapint 30 Jan 2006 16:34

To register a vehicle in France you need proof of an address in France such as a utility bill in your name and your passport or other proof of ID. If you bought privately you would be able to avoid registerng the transfer of ownership, but it would be illegal and would mean you don't have the papers in your name if you are checked in either France or any other country you visit.

beddhist 30 Jan 2006 17:23

First, NO, you do NOT need a carnet for Europe!

Second, for France proof of residence can be a letter from somebody saying they are renting you a room or a flat. (Find a friend...) In the Departement Alpes-Maritimes you don't even need that: when you sign the rego application you also sign an affidavit as to your residence. Been there, done that. Don't know whether this is different in other departements.

Also, try contacting a rental co. like http://www.holiday-bikes.com/accueil/index_us.htm

mustaphapint 31 Jan 2006 01:46

"for France proof of residence can be a letter from somebody saying they are renting you a room or a flat. (Find a friend...)"

If this would work, and I'm still not sure, especially for a non-EEC resident. I may be able to help if you don't get a better offer. I have an address in France (although it's about 300 miles west of Paris) Unfortunately we won't be in France on the 7th July but I have other biker friends in the area who would always help another biker.

Frank Warner 31 Jan 2006 06:09


Originally posted by beddhist:
First, NO, you do NOT need a carnet for Europe!
Umm you don't need a carnet in all Europe if your vehicle is regiserted there!

If the vehicle is not registered there (say as in registered in Australia) then you may well need a carnet in all European countries !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The carnet just proves you have the minimum insurance required, there is an agreement between certain European countries that accept the number plate of that country as proof that you have the required insurance.

simmo 31 Jan 2006 09:29

Carnet is not required for Europe on an Australian registered bike. You must be able to present the original registration and ownership papers and show you have a valid green card insurance policy for Europe if required by customs or the police. You must also be only temporarily importing the veichle.

The Carnet is not about insurance but provides a gaurantee that any import duties will be paid if the veichle is sold in the country requiring the Carnet.

Australia and NZ require a carnet to temporarily import bikes without paying import duties/GST as does Iran and Pakistan etc and many African countries.

If you can Mike it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy a bike in Europe and sell in Europe. If you can arrange to buy and sell back to the same person, this will help you organise things.

There are alot of dodgy rules in differrent european countrie. Such as spanish in spain not being able to ride UK registered bikes? There insurance wont cover them. Some places insure the person whatever bike they drive, others its the bike like in Australia.

If you are only going for two months I would try to get a bike over there. Affordable shipping takes time, efficient shipping (flying) is very expensive.

Regardless of what way you choose riding a bike around europe is sensational. If you can pick up a bike in the UK it will be cheapest. send me an email if you want some contacts.



vincent danna 31 Jan 2006 13:30

michale cummins
hello, i leave in paris and can help you in your search (i m in south america in february).
try to know how much is shipping. you can find a "ok" around 600 cc japanese bike here in france for less than 2000 euros (with a few thousands kms, year : from the end of the 90's). personally, i have nothing to sell or rent, but i can ask around to friends. try also to contact the french communities : there are some foreigners among them leaving in france, maybe they know the paperwork involved when you buy a bike as a foreigner on a tourist visa : i guess a residence proof is required (i will search and post also), green card insurance compulsory, international driving license also. one of them has contacted me recently, he is selling a nx250 (can t remember his name now, sorry).
good luck,

NB : when the local police stop you in france, you must show those valid documents :
- "carte grise" : it s the french ownership official paper of the bike or your country's equivalent or the carte grise of the rented bike. they can check if they have a doubt if you really rented or borrowed the bike.
- "carte verte" : green card = insurance of the bike
- french or international driving license.
at the customs : they can ask for the same or/and the Carnet de passages en douane (CPD) if it s required in some european countries. i would say the CPD is not required but i m not sure : you can check with French Automobile Club and contact them : http://www.automobileclub.org/site/s...uane/index.php

[This message has been edited by vincent danna (edited 31 January 2006).]

beddhist 31 Jan 2006 14:49

Frank, I think you may have confused Carnet and Green Card? The GC is compulsory in all of Europe for non-EU vehicles. That's pretty much what you wrote...

For NZ carnet is useless, unless you need it again in another country further down the road.

Frank Warner 1 Feb 2006 03:41


Originally posted by beddhist:
Frank, I think you may have confused Carnet and Green Card? The GC is compulsory in all of Europe for non-EU vehicles. That's pretty much what you wrote.
Yep - your right. Sorry.

Geting confused with 'green card' american and 'green card' europe too. Think the yanks could have chosen another colour .. or is that kullor?
Then there are the visas.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:02.