Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2006
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
UK registration help.

Hi. I have been following the posts on this forum for a while now about foreigners registering in the UK. I have recently contacted the DVLA to work out for certain if an Aussie comming to the UK can buy and register a bike there. I understand the problems with trying this is that i will not have a british address listed on my licence or other documents.

So.. i explained my situation to the DVLA, and they suggested to register with a V62 by saying:

"If you purchase a vehicle you can apply to register the vehicle in your name by completing the V5C registration certificate with the seller at the time of transfer.

Alternatively, you can apply for a Registration Certificate (V5C) by completing a form V62 that is available at the Post Office®, DVLA Local Office or for download from our website listed below. Please send the form direct to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. If you have the green V5/2 or V5C/2 new keepers supplement, please attach this to the V62 and there will be no fee payable. Please be aware that there is a charge of £19 for a V5C registration certificate, unless you are in possession of a V5 registration document/V5C registration certificate or the green V5/2 or V5C/2 "new keeper supplement". "

I had a look at the V62 form and, unlike the V55/4, this form appears to not require proof of address. Can anyone confirm this? Sounds good in theory, but will the 'special checks' that are carried out when lodging this form realise the address that i give is not my official address?

Last edited by Drkevorkian; 19 Jul 2006 at 07:34.
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2006
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Posts: 543
I can't comment on the forms as I haven't seen them, but surely the simplest solution would be to register the bike at an address of a friend in the UK? If the DVLA require a proof of address, just make sure you have your friend put you on their utilities bill a month or so before.

That is the standard way that most non-UK residents get a "proof of address" to open UK bank accounts etc.

Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2006
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
Yes, it seems that you are correct pete. I have contacted tons of insurers and a number of insurance brokers and similar organisations, and none of them offer or are aware of anyone who offers any insurance to non-residents. So looks like i cant do it. Will have to ship my bike, or make an aquaintance who would lend a bike.

Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2006
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 118
Gday Luke,

I'm an Aussie who bought a bike in london and I just filled out the new keeper supplement of the rego form paid the cash for the bike and road it home after getting insurance through ebike on the net.

you will need an address in the uk for the speeding tickets you will get and the insurance, give us an email and i'll see if i can help you out in that department.

Are you planning on staying on this side of the globe long or just passing through?

I dreamed a dream that i was a dream, so when i woke i decided to live life like it is a dream

Spot tracker
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2006
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
shipping is the easy way out. I would do it as a temporary import, pay my $1300 each way and it is stamped on your passport that the bike has to go home after 6 months. and then greencard for the rest of europe.

I will start another post to get people to post how they have bought bikes in the UK.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance for an unregistered bike in U.S.+Canada / Import and registration to U.S. Gerald Bauer Trip Paperwork 3 1 May 2006 22:33
Car Registration jude Trip Paperwork 2 16 Nov 2005 19:23
Crossing to Mexico with temporary registration gberelovich Trip Paperwork 0 30 Oct 2005 08:50
motorbike registration, Alberta, Canada marondm Trip Transport 2 26 Jan 2003 21:07
Motorcycle registration nomad Trip Paperwork 2 26 Jan 2002 03:24


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:23.