Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Dec 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 53
UK ownership & registration documentation

In Britain, when I lived there many years ago, the vehicle registration document was called the “log book”. In it, as I remember, the owner’s name and address were recorded. If the vehicle changed hands, the new owner’s details were added. In that same document, as far as I remember, a rubber stamp was used (?) to show that road tax had been paid. A paper disc was also provided and this was shown on the windscreen. There was, in other words, one document that provided both proof of ownership and proof of registration of the vehicle (and payment of road tax).

Is this how it still is? Is the one document still used, as above, or are there separate documents (a) to show ownership and (b) relating to registration and payment of road tax?
Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: No longer in Africa :-(
Posts: 361
The V5, as it is officially known, is the registration document (used to be refered to as the Log book). It provides all the details of the vehicle (engine number, chassis number, registration etc etc etc) It also shows the details of the registered keeper (name, address, date purchased etc).
It doesn't have anything to do with the tax though. There is no way of telling from the V5 whether a car is taxed or not, that is all done by displaying the tax disk in the window.
Details of vehicle ownership, tax, MOT and insurance are also all stored on a database these days, making it much harder to get away with using a vehicle that doesn't have all of those things.

Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2008
monsieur's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: England
Posts: 121
Police and others can use a camera called an ANPR camera which use a car's number plate to instantly tell if a car is insured, MOT'd and taxed. Pol;ice can then stop the car and impound it until the due taxes are paid.
About time too - I've got two cars and a bike and have to pay for everything on these.
Funnily enough, you get a reminder letter to let you know when your vehicle tax is due but nothing to inform you when your MOT (vehicle safety check) is due
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121


Blimey. You must be as old as me to remember that!

The Log Book was indeed stamped every time Tax was bought. These were folding card 'log books'.
These documents were phased out something like 40 years ago when vehicle registrations were moved from the local County Council where you lived, and transferred to a central national department now called DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).

Now we have what Niva Say Never describes.

This V5 lists the "Registered Keeper". This is not necessarily the Owner - a situation brought about by finance companies, technically owning vehicles until paid off, not being the Keeper who is legally responsible for its use on the public roads. The "Keeper" need not ever use it, or even have a Drivers License, just be registered and as a result be responsible.

When the Law changed to make liability for Parking Tickets fall on the Keeper rather than the actual driver, some people got their infant children (not capable of being legally responsible) listed as the Registered Keeper, in an attempt to avoid paying. It worked for a while until the Law was changed again!
One bright spark even tried making his dog the Registered Keeper. It failed!
Governments are bad losers.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angola vehicle documentation gavin c sub-Saharan Africa 5 13 Sep 2007 20:38
Ukraine Documentation 4wheels Trip Paperwork 4 26 Jan 2006 16:45
Bike Ownership Big Red Trip Paperwork 7 18 Jun 2005 14:44
What Documentation is Needed Joseph Trip Paperwork 1 26 Jun 2001 03:25


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:41.