Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Oct 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Travelling with a bike registered on someone elses name


Me and a friend are setting off from Paris to Cape Town around the 20th october. Both bikes (his and mine) are registered under my name. Before anybody suggests, it's not possible to transfer the bike to him because he´s not a resident in France.

Question is: Has anyone travelled in a similar situation? Have you encountered any problems? Any paperwork was done?

Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
trackdayrider's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 114
well I guess someone will say it even though you said befor someone suggests it! lol

I don't pretend to knowthe French vehicle ownership laws bu surely not being a French resident does not preclude the sale (regardless of cash actually changing hands) of a vehicle ??
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Far North Queensland Australia
Posts: 80
Bike registration


I have just come back from 6 weeks touring Germany, Netherlands and Denmark. I bought a bike while I was in the netherlands but their laws state that it can not be registered in my name as I am not a resident, same as you have in France. This is also the case for germany and Belgium, others I dont know. I was lucky that I could register the bike in my Mother-in-laws name. This proved to be no problems at all with the Authorities in these countries and I was even stopped by the police 4 time while in Germany (not for speeding!!). As long as the bike was registered and I could produce the papers for the bike it was OK.

I do not know what the situation would be in Africa though as I have never been there but as you will be travelling with both bikes in your name one could argue the point that you are employing your mate to drive your spare bike (just a thought).

An idea comes suddenly and in an intuitive way. But intuition is nothing but the outcome of earlier experience.
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Aus.
Posts: 207
Are you going through Egypt? If you are and you're using carnets it would be worth getting the carnets in seperate names. When I arrived there from Sudan earlier this year a couple we took the boat with had problems. They were driving a big truck with a motorbike in the back and both the truck and bike were registered and carneted in one person's name. Egyptian customs came up with a rule that one person can only bring one vehicle per year into the country and they wouldn't budge. It got sorted eventually but wasn't easy. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't bringing 2 vehicles on the same day, but presumably you'd be travelling together.
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
jkrijt's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 543
You could add a signed letter from the owner (you) that you agree that so and so is using your bike to the papers.
Jan Krijtenburg

My travelbike is a yellow BMW R1100GS
My wifes bike, that I use a lot, is a 1978 Honda CB400T
http://jkrijt.home.xs4all.nl/ (my personal homepage with trip reports)
http://www.krijtenburg.nl/HU_BoZ/ (The HU Motorcycle Travellers Community in my area)
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: wherever our vehicle is
Posts: 124
Hi alex.
im sure as soon as you leave france you can scan and print the new riders-owners name on the log book that should do it,
the world does not have a database of registered bikes in france.
that the normal for selling a vehicle abroad to a european, but the carnet might be difficult as only one vehicle per person for a carnet.

safe travels
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Greetings all!

Thanks a lot for the replies! I guess it won´t be a (big) problem since we plan to be together at all times, border crossings for sure.
But I´ll prepare a signed letter and perhaps will go with Monsters idea.
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 75
Once you have the carnet in your friend's name, have him create registration paperwork in his own name -- much less confusion at border crossings. Better idea is to create new paperwork for your bike too, so the created paperwork is identical.

It would be surprising if you made every border crossing together during such a long trip. There's a good chance you may separate every once in awhile...maybe some time needed or just different interests in routes/sights.

Have fun!
Ride safe, ride far, ride often!
Chris & Erin Ratay - www.UltimateJourney.com
50 countries, 6 continents, 4 years, 2 motos, and 1 happy couple.

Work 10, Travel 2 - be inspired...

Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2011
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by ikorive View Post
Has anyone travelled in a similar situation?
Hi Alex:

My moto (Canadian plated, but I keep it in Europe) is registered in my wife's name. In 10 years and over 100,000 km of riding, I've never had any customs official or policeman ever comment on the fact that it's not my name on the registration papers.

Lots of officials look at the registration papers, but I think all they do is look to see that 1) you possess the papers, and 2) the description of the moto on the papers matches the moto itself.

I personally don't think that you need to do anything at all - I mean, the papers say that both motos belong to you, and presumably you will be present at any times it is likely that an official would want to look at the papers (e.g. crossing borders, purchasing insurance, etc.). It's not as if someone can suggest that your friend stole the motorcycle from you, if you are standing right there.

Of greater concern would be making sure that you get the insurance documents correct, so that they indicate that your friend is an insured rider of the moto that he/she will be riding. Out of an abundance of caution (you never know what might happen down the road), you might want to have both of you named as insured riders on each of the motorcycles.

Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2011
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 1,968
Michael, is your wife's last name the same as yours? Where have you had the bike? Many countries don't allow anyone but the owner to pull temporary import papers. That doesn't mean there are not ways to skirt the rules, and it doesn't mean they are enforced. I'm just wondering.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike registered in another name beddhist Trip Paperwork 8 25 Jun 2012 15:25
USA registered bike, no CDP Miquel-Silvestre Australia / New Zealand 14 18 Sep 2011 12:28
USA registered bike, no CDP Miquel-Silvestre Southern Asia 1 21 Feb 2011 14:05
Bike Registered in someone else's name endofnow Trip Paperwork 1 1 Jun 2009 17:24
Travelling in Oman-registered vehicle popotla Trip Paperwork 1 1 Dec 2008 12:58


Renedian Adventures

HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:06.