Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19 Jun 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 81
Travel Insurance

This year we are only touring in Europe and was told to try Swinton Insurance 17 days cover for 2 people £33.10 i kept asking we are covered if we have an accident on the bike they said yes 1/2 price of Carole Nash last year
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19 Jun 2008
Scavenger07's Avatar
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 32
Hi Chap, when you say "Travel Insurance" do you mean for you or the bike?

Carol nash is perhaps the cheapest and most comprehensive but both they and Swinton are brokers and so may have different deals with the same company. I am with Swinton and have a policy from "Equity Red Star" this gives me 30 days in Europe on multi visit's and extends to the white Russian border, as was, e.g. Belarus. It also depends on the age of the bike, oddly, as to the limitations. When we did the trip last year I was with NU and got less cover than the boys with CN!

If it is cover for yourself the the post office is a good place to start. I, along with Nine other bikers, went to Belarus and the Ukrain last year and I think many of us took out a policy with the PO. Remember also that your E111 is now a plastic card for life ID so take it with you, or get one.

Hope this helps bud
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20 Jun 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger07 View Post
Hi Chap, when you say "Travel Insurance" do you mean for you or the bike?

Carol nash is perhaps the cheapest and most comprehensive but both they and Swinton are brokers and so may have different deals with the same company. I am with Swinton and have a policy from "Equity Red Star" this gives me 30 days in Europe on multi visit's and extends to the white Russian border, as was, e.g. Belarus. It also depends on the age of the bike, oddly, as to the limitations. When we did the trip last year I was with NU and got less cover than the boys with CN!

If it is cover for yourself the the post office is a good place to start. I, along with Nine other bikers, went to Belarus and the Ukrain last year and I think many of us took out a policy with the PO. Remember also that your E111 is now a plastic card for life ID so take it with you, or get one.

Hope this helps bud

For us, be careful a lot of travel insurances only cover you on a 125cc and some not at all
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20 Jun 2008
Scavenger07's Avatar
Contributing Member
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 32
Hi Gary (?), not sure I get the meaning of the reply but...................what you say is generally true about holiday insurance mate so i've made a point of asking in the past and the reply was as stated, "so long as we are licensed to ride the machine and are wearing the legal minimum clothing" accepting that you are not racing, doing it for profit etc.
Maybe not word perfect but that is the essence of what I was told.
I have been looking at policies for an RTW in August, Amex and Footman James were the two we are looking at more closely but they ain't cheap.

What is worth knowing is that if you have taken alcohol and it is reported by the hospital / quack then many insurances refuse support, bike or NO bike! How many of us bother with that small print?

If you are not sure ask in writing and get the reply in writing, that way you have a referance if the poo fall's in the fan!

Most UK bike policies these days cover you for Europe, it may only be for TFT however check that, it is worth looking at breakdown policies if you are not to mech minded as well. (or HAVE to get back)
The odd part was that one of us was told, last year, that if it was a "charity" run the BIKE insurance was NOT valid for the trip! How does that work?

again I hope this is of use.

TTFN Scav

sorry, I am assuming you are from the UK bud, if not please bear with I.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21 Jun 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger07 View Post
Hi Gary (?), not sure I get the meaning of the reply but...................what you say is generally true about holiday insurance mate so i've made a point of asking in the past and the reply was as stated, "so long as we are licensed to ride the machine and are wearing the legal minimum clothing" accepting that you are not racing, doing it for profit etc.
Maybe not word perfect but that is the essence of what I was told.
I have been looking at policies for an RTW in August, Amex and Footman James were the two we are looking at more closely but they ain't cheap.

What is worth knowing is that if you have taken alcohol and it is reported by the hospital / quack then many insurances refuse support, bike or NO bike! How many of us bother with that small print?

If you are not sure ask in writing and get the reply in writing, that way you have a referance if the poo fall's in the fan!

Most UK bike policies these days cover you for Europe, it may only be for TFT however check that, it is worth looking at breakdown policies if you are not to mech minded as well. (or HAVE to get back)
The odd part was that one of us was told, last year, that if it was a "charity" run the BIKE insurance was NOT valid for the trip! How does that work?

again I hope this is of use.

TTFN Scav

sorry, I am assuming you are from the UK bud, if not please bear with I.
Cheers, yes we are from UK (Chesterfield) not too far from HU meeting, the bike is insured with Carole Nash so we are fully comp in all of Europe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22 Jun 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfzs1000 View Post
Cheers, yes we are from UK (Chesterfield) not too far from HU meeting, the bike is insured with Carole Nash so we are fully comp in all of Europe
You're right to beware of travel insurance when riding a bike. I once took out travel insurance with RAC and asked on the phone if I was covered on the bike. I was told yes. When the policy came trhough it stated that I wasn't covered on a bike bigger than 125cc. What a job I had getting a refund from them. Carole Nash's travel insurance does indeed cover you on a big bike.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22 Jun 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOD View Post
You're right to beware of travel insurance when riding a bike. I once took out travel insurance with RAC and asked on the phone if I was covered on the bike. I was told yes. When the policy came trhough it stated that I wasn't covered on a bike bigger than 125cc. What a job I had getting a refund from them. Carole Nash's travel insurance does indeed cover you on a big bike.

We used Carole Nash last year and it was £64
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 Jun 2008
mustaphapint's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 398
We have an annual travel insurance policy through MAG (I think the BMF have a similar scheme) £250 per year for 3 of us. (Parents and daughter) Covers us for multiple trips anywhere in the world with maximum single trip length of 2 months.
For bike insurance we us ebike. Covers all of Europe for 365 days a year. We haven't tried to take the bikes out of Europe yet.
Just wondering if we ought to arrange some kind of bike recovery/assistance for this summer.
__________________
If you think you are too small to make a difference you have never spent the night with a mosquito.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6 Jul 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England
Posts: 13
Be carefull with the 'travel insurance 125cc limit'.

The BMF policy also used to have this limit. What it meant was you are NOT covered while riding a motorcycle of greater that 125cc UNLESS you have the correct bike license.

However when my wife specifically asked the question she was told this excluded all bikes over 125cc. When pointing out that BMF (British motorcycle federation) members were quite likley to travel abroad on their motorcycles and was that REALLY what it meant did the person actually go and check and find out the above.

It's always better the check. And make sure the person on the phone goes and checks as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical insurance vs. Travel Insurance nickthedesigner Staying Healthy on the Road 17 11 Oct 2013 11:41
STA Travel Insurance Stagbeetle Trip Paperwork 13 21 Jul 2007 18:33
travel insurance goggstrotters Trip Paperwork 1 25 Jun 2003 13:27
travel insurance PETER Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else 1 31 Jul 2001 21:30
travel insurance samon Trip Paperwork 2 4 Jan 2001 03:37

 
 

Grant & Susan's Europe Ride 2014.



Renedian Adventures

HU DVD Summer Special!

The weather has finally turned, so Gear Up for your motorcycle travel adventure! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - Gear Up! 2-DVD set until June 30 only. Gear Up! for your motorcycle travel adventure! Get all the info you need to hit the road!

Which bike, how to prepare it, what else to take, how to pack it all in! 6 hours!

"It's another great job, informative and entertaining."

"It's really professional and full of useful information, a must for any traveler."

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'GEARUP' on your order when you checkout.

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:53.