Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   RTW Bike Ownership/Financing Question (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/rtw-bike-ownership-financing-question-39155)

plan4 25 Nov 2008 21:21

RTW Bike Ownership/Financing Question
I've been planning my trip/budget on the assumption that whatever bike I take will have to be entirely mine, i.e. fully paid off.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this. If I were to purchase a bike from a dealer and finance it, can I take it abroad?

As long as it is insured, would the bank care? Would the dealer? Would I encounter a problem at borders with a title that showed a bank lien on the bike?

Thanks in advance for answering what I rather suspect is a foolish question.

MikeS 25 Nov 2008 22:49

First off, don't buy an expensive bike to go RTW. For around £1,500-3,000 you'll get a good big single. If you're going somewhere you need a Carnet, the cheaper the bike, the cheaper the Carnet will be. Most folk only get 3rd party insurance if they really have to, I don't remember ever having theft insurance for my bikes. Fair enough, if you're just going round Europe or whatever, your own insurance should cover you for most places.

Frank Warner 26 Nov 2008 02:12

You will find geting full comprehensive insurance in other countries for a bike reistered elsewhere and riden by someone licenced elsewhere difficult to impossible ... and very expensive...

The finance people also will not be happy with the bike going overseas - their rates are for 'noraml' people and 'normal' use...

plan4 26 Nov 2008 02:51

thanks for the input. to be honest, i hadn't planned to spend much. i got a bit side-tracked when i saw the new bmw 800 gs, but it's not just out of my price range, it's 4 times my price range! so i'm back to reality.

ExtremeGene 26 Nov 2008 11:35

You should look at getting a bank guarantee for your carnet bond. It's by far the cheapest way to finance your carnet.

Billy Bunter 26 Nov 2008 15:39

I am not encouraging anyone to spend to much on a bike for an RTW, as the cheaper the better in relations to Carnets, image on the road, part avail etc etc

However, if you did buy a bike on finance the V5 is still in your name, as you are the registered keeper, and that what is required in terms of bike paperwork... isnt it? or have i missed something?

Also, if you just took out an independant loan for the bike then that would have no connection with the machine at all and so therefore, the bike is yours to all intents and purposes, surely?

Having said all this, i would go for the new Tenere over the BMW anyway, and i say that as i am in the process of fitting out my 800GS! great bike, but expensive to fit out and a little fragile i now suspect.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

amzahsulaiman 26 Nov 2008 22:38

Hi! I am new myself about choosing the bike for RTW. After reading from so many threads from this forum I have decided to sell my BMW RS and opted for KLR 650 for my intended RTW. Reason? Simple. Its cheap, easy to maintain, good mileage per litre and carry lots of load too.

Safe Ride. Amzah

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:10.