Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   Notarising a Title in Mexico (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/notarising-a-title-in-mexico-60770)

goo 16 Dec 2011 15:25

Notarising a Title in Mexico
I have a UK registered bike and have just entered Mexico from the USA and had some problems with customs recognising my title. It's a simple contract between myself and the seller back in London. My V5 registration document says 'This is not proof of ownership' in big red letters on it.

My question is, is there someplace in Mexico that I can get my title notarised? That way I won't have problems at all the other borders I have to cross on my way to Argentina.

I managed to talk my way into Mexico by showing them my US temporary import docs but I think was lucky that I had a friendly official - this time!

Thanks for any suggestions!

John Downs 16 Dec 2011 15:45

If you've made it through U.S. customs and the Mexican border with your documents you are golden. You own the bike legally and have the papers to prove it.

While it can't hurt to have a notorized document to go along with your registration, I don't think it's necessary.

I personally wouldn't even bother photoshoping out the red letters on your registration and laminating a fresh clean copy of it at a copy shop and tucking your original registration away on the bike safely.

If you feel strongly about it, the Spanish word for notary is notario I believe. Often found at a lawyers office. Lawyer is abogado in Spanish.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

goo 16 Dec 2011 17:06

Thanks John!


John Downs 17 Dec 2011 02:49

Re-reading your post, it seems that the only red word that is unneeded on your registration is the word NOT.

John Downs

goo 18 Dec 2011 14:15

Yes - i noticed that convenient syntax and have put my graphic design team onto it ;)

estebangc 18 Dec 2011 22:48

Notary document with Apostille stamp.

If you want to go the way of the notary, the Spanish word is NOTARIO, as John Downs said.

Being Spanish, I don't know how things actually works in Mexico. But found these two sites offering directories of Notaries. Just choose the state and the city:

Directorio de Notarios en Mexico (on the right side, "Encuentre su Notario" = find your notary)


I don't really know means "notarising the document" (in Common Law), but in Spanish Law, being a private contract, you can "elevar a público el contrato", which means a notary gives public faith of it, usually done for real state private contracts to register them. Being a private contract, it becomes a "public" contract. If he refuses that, another option would to ask for a "(foto)copia compulsada" which means that the notary guarantees that the photocopy is made from the original. That way you would have notary stamps and signature on the photocopy and you could keep the original aside.

Last, to make the notarised document look (and BE) very official, ask the Notary in what office of the Public Adminstration in that city you can get the Apostille of the Hague Convention Stamp ("Apostilla de la Convención de la Haya") on your document. This way it will have inmediate effects (and MUST be accepted) in all countries part of the convention. Check the list -not only the map- and you'll find some countries you will be crossing.

Have a great ride!


goo 19 Dec 2011 03:26

Hey thanks so much for such an in-depth response!


wheatwhacker 19 Dec 2011 14:31

Mexico is the easiest crossing in CA.
We have been asked for title and registration in every country so far. Make sure your papers are in order and have copies.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:47.