Need visa and guide cost help - Algeria, Libya
Myself my father and my little brother are a month into our trip starting from England, hoping to get back to Australia on our KLRs, depending on how the Aussie $ fares.
We are currently in Morocco and in a months time will be heading back either to Spain to catch the ferry to Algeria, or heading to Italy to catch a ferry to Libya then continuing our way across Nth Africa.
We have been doing our research and can find no real clearcut answers to our questions so can anyone be of any help to us with some real life recent experience.
1. Is the ferry really over 300 euro??
2. Is Spain, Madrid the only place for us to get visas there, or can we get them in Casablanca and how long do they take to get?
3. Is it true that you need guides all over Algeria now and not just in the South?? If so, how much do they cost and does anyone have any favourite tour companies? I have heard Agence Tanezrouft is good.
1. I have heard we can get visas on arrival from the ferry, is this true??
2. Does the South now require tour guides and can anyone recommend a good tour company and cost is this is true
1. Seems the rules keep changing here with regards to the size of your touring party. Is it still minimun of 4 or can we get through with our three??
2. How easy is it to get a visa beforehand, where is the best place and how long will it take?? I have heard it can save a lot of trouble by getting a tour company to get one for you.
3. Guides. Rumours of 200 Euro a day?? Please do not tell me that is each person!! Anyone with recent experience and any recommendations?
1. Anyone with recent experience of crossing the border from Libya??
2. I have heard that the road taxes down south and in the Western desert can be hefty. Have these fees eased and do you need a tour company?
I will keep researching but if anyone could give us some information or is interested in meeting up somewhere down the track, we would love to hear from you.
I have just done a trip from Genoa to Tunisia and then through Libya to Egypt.
- You don't need any guides in the South.
- we drove on the very Southern road that runs along the algerian border and the police followed us as part of standard protocol for a few kilometres but otherwise everything is very friendly and easy.
- I advise you to book acomodation in Tunis as the ferry arrives after dark and after customs it is a hassle driving around for places to stay.
We used an agency called Temehu and they are excellent. All we had to do was get our passports translated into arabic. Once you have done this then you send them photocopies of this translated page and they do everything else.
You need to state the exact date of arrival.
Our guide was Suliman and he was brilliant so ask for him.
We drove across in 4 days which was tough going so if you want to relax then do it in 5 or 6 days or even longer.
Cost was 360 euro each for 4 days but we found this good valuie as they help out at the borders and are great.
Any other questions send me an email.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Need visa and guide cost help - Algeria, Libya||fusanipples||Route Planning||0||11 Nov 2009 17:17|
|The cost of Libya/Algeria for a biker!||JoeSheffer||Sahara Travel Forum||4||3 Feb 2007 01:29|
|Visa + guide Libya||AtleG||Sahara Travel Forum||0||19 Dec 2005 13:19|
|Algeria Nov/Dec 2004 Guide Cost Share||Tunde||Sahara Travel Forum||4||25 Aug 2004 13:08|
|Guide aside, rough cost daily cost for LIbya||Geoff van de Merwe||Sahara Travel Forum||2||13 Mar 2003 16:13|