Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Oct 2012
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Posts: 90
Need help the Temporary Importation (Under a Carnet) to Australia

I am an Australian (previous living in UK) and am shipping my UK registerd vehicle into Brisbane, using my CDP Carnet. I want to handle the customs and clearance myself...

Right now going through the rigirous task of cleaning and preping the car for packing and therefore customs..

Upon clearance and required docs I have some questions...

I understand that I will need to book both a customs officer and quarantine officer for their approval and clearance.

Doing some reading and Third-Party compulsory insurance is required for all states in Australia and that I must do an "Authorised Unregistered vehicle inspection (AUVIS)" . This means it will remain a UK registered vehicle...

I have the V5 papers, Carnet and licenses etc BUT whilst on my journey the tax disc on my car expired. Thus I was advised to SORN the vehicle (and here is the catch, how can you get another tax disc when on the road internationally, when you need a MOT inspection done in the UK to get it)

So here is my question... With the documents above, will that be sufficient to aquire an Un-registered vehicle permit and third party insurance?

Has anyone had experience with this. Please help as my car is due to be shipping from Port Klang in the next few days

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Aus.
Posts: 209
Are you an Australian citizen? If you are I'm not sure if you can use a carnet to get your vehicle into Aus.

Search online for the VSB10 booklet from the Department of Infrastructure and Transport for official information on how to go about importing a vehicle into Aus.

Also worth searching the HUBB if you haven't already as there've been a few threads over the last couple of years about importing vehicles into Aus.

Good luck with it all.
Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2012
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Posts: 90
Thanks Paul... I had a scan of the hubb and their has been some threads about clearance of vehicles in Aus, although not 100% that fit my circumstances... Wow didnt even consider that being an Aussie citizen would not allow me to use my carnet in Australia... I have spoken with other aussies citizens in the past who have used the carnet in Australia, so I dont think this part will be a problem.. but i will double check

Cheers mate
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2012
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Posts: 889
I know from a few years ago whgen I wanted to bring my US bike home, I needed to prove I owned it for 12 months minimum, so mayne that will help you

I know you want to keep it UK registered, but maybe follow the above path as well just in case
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 102
You can get the vehicle flagged as exported from the UK so you don't need to comply with the SORN and so do not need Road Tax or MOT. If you SORN it you are breaking the law driving it anywhere.

Flagging it as exported is the best way. You keep your V5 and your reg plates and its perfectly legal. Its the only way to comply with UK law and stay on the road, legally speaking. The RAC and the DLVA agreed this all about 5 years ago but it wasn't widely publisised as not may people do more than a year. I have the name of the individual in the DVLA who does this but will only PM it out as i'm sure he doesn't want to be innundated.

Hope that helps with part of your question at least.

1 Male, 1 Female, 1 Landrover, UK Passports (2 each), UK Carnet
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2012
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Posts: 90
Hi Neil. Great advice on the "flag as export"... Would really appreciate if you could send me the contact in the DVLA

Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2012
roamingyak.org's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,070

I'm a Kiwi and was looking at moving to Oz to live for a year or three. I was looking at taking my UK landy that was on a carnet. What I found was that as a Kiwi I couldn't use a carnet if I intended to reside in Oz. It had to be imported into Oz because I was going to be a resident, as you would being an Aussie.

Also, if you take it in on a carnet, you are not allowed to leave Oz without also taking your vehicle out also. So you couldn't even pop up to Bali for a weekend, seemed to be heavy fines if you did.

I'd also like the dvla persons details please!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing vehicle on Carnet into South Africa Duty Free (Returning South African) langebaan sunset Trip Paperwork 6 14 Nov 2013 19:28
Temporary Import / 'Carnet' Paperwork available @ Iran Border?? John Laverick Trip Paperwork 1 22 May 2012 14:14
Temporary importation into SA by sea frenchian Trip Paperwork 5 20 Apr 2012 17:55
Carnet and Temp. Importation of Malaysian Registered Bike Roy Morgan Trip Paperwork 0 26 Dec 2011 11:52
Carnet_ How Do I Get One In South America? gusonopa South America 9 6 Jan 2010 15:00


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58.