Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   Import/Insure overseas bike in Australia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/import-insure-overseas-bike-australia-3433)

Ralf Koebler 9 Nov 2000 21:46

Import/Insure overseas bike in Australia
Hello All,

my wife and i will soon ship our bikes from germany/austria to australia (Perth, WA). We plan to stay there for 1 to 1,5 years. Maybe someone has some helpful experiences:

1) Do I need a carnet de passages or can i "import" the bikes ? What do i need therfore ? What do you recommend ?

2) Is it necessary to get registration/insurance in australia that the bikes remain registered/insured in germany/austria ? Do we get australian plates or should we take our home-plates with us ? What insurance companies do you recommend ?

I would be happy if someone could give me some infos.

See you,


frederic 13 Nov 2000 17:21

Two possibilities

- First with a carnet de passage

- Second with a temporary import
Then if you choose the import you have to fill the FORS form
more info on this links : http://www.karmanshipping.com/Export...a/AusFORS.html

Richard_Jakobek 14 Nov 2000 19:19

Hi Ralf,
I just did this and I got a Carnet. This made things very easy going through Customs. Most of your paperwork is done before you leave home. Also, yes you will need to register your bike in Australia but again this is easy and cheap. You keep your home registration number. Insurance is easy if you have an address in Australia.

Bis Bald.

Ralf Koebler 15 Nov 2000 22:12

Hello All,

thank you for your help.

I will do the transfer with a Carnet. The bikes will remain registered (and insured) in Austria while we stay in Australia. So the bikes will have Austrian plates. We will manage the additional insurance we need in Australia directly in Perth.

See you,


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:04.