Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   Help! Carnet for Zambia-registered bike. (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/help-carnet-zambia-registered-bike-3820)

hunternielson 20 Aug 2003 15:42

Help! Carnet for Zambia-registered bike.
I've read many of the Carnet threads, and I'm close to being relaxed about the whole thing for crossing Africa. HOWEVER, I live in Zambia and have a Zambia registered bike (despite me being a Yankee). I've checked the AIT website, and have found to my dismay that there is no registered Automobile Association in Zambia.

Then how the heck do I get a carnet for Pete's sake? Are African-registered bikes exempt from carnets (I doubt it)? I noticed in some of the threads that once upon a time there was a German company that issued carnets for people residing in other countries, but that they've stopped. Are there others? Would I be able to get a US-issued carnet?

I still have 5 months to sort this out, but I really need help.


[This message has been edited by hunternielson (edited 20 August 2003).]

andygray 27 Aug 2003 15:51

Hi Hunter
I entered the following countrys with a Kenyian registered bike using temporary import documents bought at the borders.
Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
The price was up to $25 and usually for a 4 week stay, sometimes only 2 weeks but extentions are available. South Africa Namibia and Botswana wasnt possible without the carnet but after a friendly talk with the boss of the customs post he made an exception.
If you are going all the way to North Africa it is probably important to get a carnet. Have you checked out the Zimbabwe AA .... http://www.aazimbabwe.co.zw/index.html
If they issue carnets then it may be worth re-registering the bike, or buy a bike there.
Thats all the info I can give you, I hope you get it sorted and have a good ride.


tyler 19 Sep 2003 07:35

Had nearly the same problem here in England. The problem was that I'm from the States too and they wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount. (Apparently, I'm 'high risk')
Found that the Canadien Automobile Association issues Carnets for Americans (seeing as AAA doesn't), even if your vehicle is not US or Canadien registered. Just find them on the web and go to the travel secion. Don't have the address on me know, but if you hunt around on the site, you'll find it.


Susan Johnson 7 Oct 2003 01:41

Hi Hunter. I checked with Suzanne Danis from the CAA, and she advises:

"We can issue Carnet to any Canadian or American residents or to any one who owns has a Canadian or American registered vehicle."

Note that she doesn't say they can issue carnets to American CITIZENS, just residents. Assuming you maintain a US address, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful how you describe your residency situation. I personally wouldn't provide any extraneous details, it just complicates the situation. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb/wink.gif

Contact details for Suzanne are at this link:


Good luck with your trip, and please keep us posted.

Susan Johnson

'One world, two wheels'

hunternielson 7 Oct 2003 13:05

Thanks Susan,

Problem is, while I am an American Citizen, my bike is not. She's a Zambian. I don't get from you post that Suzanne at CAA would provide a Carnet for a Zambian registered bike.

I'll check further, and thanks!

Grant Johnson 8 Oct 2003 01:15

Hunter, that's an OR in there - US address OR US bike.

As long as you can come up with a US address you're ok.

Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


One world, Two wheels.

hunternielson 11 Oct 2003 14:33


Where's that smiley with the paper bag over his head? I'll be a monkey's uncle. Sure enough, that is an OR in there. I guess I'll give the kind folks at CAA a shout!


hed 7 Nov 2003 20:14

Hello Hunter,

Not sure if this info is still of help, but I had teh same issue last year. I was travelling southbound from Mali on a Mali registered bike and couldn't solve this issue until I found out about the "Hungarian". Contact Mr. Carnet at hungariancarnet@hotmail.com. He made me a forged carnet that was as good as the original (except it had no watermark) and was 100% for me. I was very glad that I had it and it worked 100% without a problem for all the 27 countries I travelled through. It cost me 300 Euro and I was very happy with it.



Grant Johnson 9 Nov 2003 01:52

RE Hungarian Carnets -

IF the border guard is at all suspicious - and with no watermark they should be - they can fax the AIT in Geneva and confirm the validity of it in minutes. In some countries that means jail and / or confiscation of the vehicle.

Use at your own risk. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


One world, Two wheels.

hed 10 Nov 2003 14:44

Grant, you are right, something like this should never be recommended. It is illegal after all, but for someone who is desperate and is willing to take the risk it remains an option. I would never use something like this outside of Africa.

Now I am feeling all guilty !!


hunternielson 13 Nov 2003 11:41

Yes, international dilemmas... Thanks for the tip, hed, and don't feel guilty. If I choose the Hungarian route, I know what I'm getting into. At the moment, I'm considering the legitimate Canadian Auto Assn. route...rather not end up in a Kenyan prison you know...

hunternielson 21 Jan 2004 20:10

Well folks, it's official!

I've gone the CAA route as Susan suggested, and it's been great. My owning a foreign-registered bike didn't matter at all. Suzanne Danis at CAA puts your heart at ease, and makes everything seem straight forward.

My BMW F650GS Dakar, 2003, was priced at about $7390. A letter of credit was issued to cover that, which I will be repayed when I return my completed carnet. I paid a $50 fee for my bank, $345 for CAA fees, and put down a $230 deposit. The deposit is for administrative fees concerning my carnet (FedEx, extensions, etc), the remainder of which will be returned when I return my carnet.

I'm in business!

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

Mid February, the wheels roll out of Lusaka!

jamieT 23 Jan 2004 17:20

Is there any equivalent for UK citizens to get a carnet for a foreign (egyptian) registered bike?

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43.