Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   General insurance questions (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/general-insurance-questions-30312)

Matthew_McCabe 1 Nov 2007 02:13

General insurance questions
Just a quick question regarding car/bike insurance. I'm a UK citizen and I understand that in most cases outside the EU its easiest to buy insurance on the border. Folk typically quote a figure of around 30 US dollars. Is that accurate? (I know it will vary - I am intending to travel through Turkey, the Middle East and Central Asia). What time scale does that apply for usually - the duration of your visa?

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list that shows exactly which countries require you to have insurance by law?

And I look forward to continuing to use this fantastic resource in the future! Even though I actually intend to travel by car or 4x4, this seems to be by far the most informative site regarding travel by vehicle.

Roel van Ulft 1 Nov 2007 13:10


we paid 42 euro for a 3 month Turkey insurance on the border so that's not too bad. Have a look at our webpage (www.popadd.com/overlandy2006) on the 'links and tips' page.

There is some info on insurances.

We found that third party insurance is almost always a legal requirement except in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.


Matthew_McCabe 1 Nov 2007 16:30

Your links and tips page is just the job. Thanks!

simon dippenhall 6 Mar 2008 22:42

Insurance and green card
I don't want to hijack this thread but....

I am travelling to Balkan countries and on thru Turkey to Syria/Lebanon/Jordan.

The bike and I are UK resident.

Called my insurers today (Devitt) who say they 'don't issue a Green Card' for these countries.

Has anyone got a green card successfully out of Devitt and can tell me how?

Or is it better to buy insurance at each border? (Not that keen as I will pass though Balkan countries fairly quickly!)

Advice welcomed!


Mike 7 Mar 2008 13:53

As a UK resident with an insurer that doesn't do green cards or extended overseas deals, I get my green card from Stefan at Knopf Motorradreisen

Excellent service!

dpdaniel 10 Mar 2008 08:59

Seconding Mike's call
I am in the process of organising insurance through Stefan at Knopf Motorradreisen as well and can back up Mike's experience by saying everything has been great.

I am Australian, but insuring a bike bought in the UK for a trip around Europe, and they cover almost every country we will be visiting. It also covers the UK which is an issue for those like me who cannot get insurance in the UK as we are not residents.

We are also getting Roadside Assistance through them as well.

All the best,

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:03.