Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   Expired Aussie Rego Overseas (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/expired-aussie-rego-overseas-38897)

DreamerZ 12 Nov 2008 12:01

Expired Aussie Rego Overseas
Hi All,
We are planning a trip to the USA next year and then on to Europe ( Ireland initially ). We may be gone for 18 - 24 months in total ( Hopefully ). Looking at shipping our bikes from Sydney. Our Aussie Rego will run out while on the road. Will this be a problem or is there a way of renewing while in USA?

MikeS 12 Nov 2008 12:21

Just keep the Rego documents (and next years reminder if you have it) with you, I never had any trouble when mine ran out but I was mainly using a Carnet. You'll just have to renew the rego when you get home I'd guess.

Frank Warner 12 Nov 2008 21:09

I rang the RTA.
They said (to me .. some time ago - you should ring them too?)
1) get a inspection of teh vehicle form some gov recognised garge to say the bike is road worthy
2) send that to them (translated if not in english) with the rego documents and payment .. oh and apay teh third party
3) they post out the rego in the normal way ..

So it is possible. Just ask them ... might be best to get it in writing?

Dingo 12 Nov 2008 23:39

Don't worry about it!
Like I said, don't worry about renewing it. I have never been asked for my rego docs only the carnet. You won't get a RWC in most countries as the bikes are not RW! The US as far as I know doesn't have RW for bikes either. Then to get this translated, think of the cost as it will have to be done by a legal translator.

Aussie 3rd party is not worth anything when overseas either and you may have to purchase this for each country that you go to. But, try and show your original cert and argue that it is covered. No body is going to pay up on a foreign registered bike anyway!

Just keep the paperwork as suggested and you will be right mate!


farqhuar 12 Nov 2008 23:42

Officially what Frank says is correct.

Alternatively you can do what I did when I was away for two years, which is the same as MikeS did.

Garry from Oz.

Pumbaa 13 Nov 2008 08:08

What Frank said is correct. The RTA told me the same thing.

One other thing to keep in mind however is that an Ozzie carnet will be invalid if the vehicle is not registered anymore. This is the case in NSW anyway from my understanding - sure it will be the same in other states as well. We are currently travelling with a carnet and I'm sure it said that in some of the paperwork we received.


maximondo 13 Nov 2008 23:49

In Australia, we do not have what you would call 'ownership papers'. I adjusted my Rego paper to last my entire trip, this worked out well for me as I had planned on going to countries that did not require a carnet.

At the start, I was planning on brining my bike home. This did not worry me that my rego was run out, I always knew I could get another safety certificate and re-register it when I do return.

Other wise you can pay your Rego on line now, and get someone to send it over to you, or ask them to scan it in (both sides) and email to you. Then you only need to print it out.

RogerM 14 Nov 2008 07:32

Re register your bike in Qld or Vic no annual safety certs, just annual rego fees. Pay online with no hassles.

Theoretically all vehicles that travel under a carnet have to be registered in the country of origin, for non carnet regions then the Convention (Vienna? Copenhagen? or something) which governs international movement of vehicles applies and that has a requirement that the vehicle is registered in the country of origin.

Its not a problem to travel unregistered, just another thing to worry about if something bad happens.

We got pulled over in Spain and Portugal last year with German export plates which had two weeks left to run, so dont think that you will be immune from the police or border control not knowing that your vehicle needs to be registered.

DreamerZ 15 Nov 2008 06:37

Thanks to everyone for the info.
Both bikes are currently regestered in Qld so we'll probably leave it that way as suggested. We're not going to bother with Carnets' as thus far we're only travelling USA and Europe.

swaino 21 Nov 2008 12:52

Aussie rego
Depending in which state you live in, the RTA will just mail out your renewell. Leave money behind for someone to pay it and send you the sticker.

KennyE 25 Nov 2008 04:36

You can renew your rego online in Queensland-
Payment options

As long as you have someone who can forward your rego on to you.......:mchappy:

Frank Warner 25 Nov 2008 22:06

Sorry - I assumed that as the op shiped form Sydney they were NSW regestered.

My post was for NSW rego. THe procedures will change state to state.. best to get the details before you leave and plan it as part of the paperwork ..

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:37.