Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Do Russia accept car drivers licence for Trike?

Do Russia accept car drivers licence for Trike?
Here in Sweden booth motorcycle and car drivers licence are valid for Trikes.
My wife and I are thinking thinking of plan B: for Russia travel this summer and ride our Harley/Chopper Trikes in Russia with a minimum of luggage. My wife only has drivers licence for car (valid for trike in sweden).

Is it safe to park two expensive trikes outside russian hotels at night?

I parked my cheap looking adventure bike outside a cheap hotel in Murmansk last summer and it felt safe enough as the reception had camera supervision of the parking lot.
Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Trike in Russia

Hello again!
I try it this way. Russians who drive Trikes, do they use drivers licence for car or for motorcycle or are both valid for Trike (unless car drivers licence also incluid permit to ride motorcycles)??

Plan A: is to ride to Vladivostock at my adventure bike and send ourselfs and the bike back home by air to Sweden

Plan B:Ride our trikes (my trike and the trike of my wife) in the European part of Russia.

Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2011
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Whooop, HDAJ, how did it end?
It is now my turn to drive a trike in Russia on British B1 licence!
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2011
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: moscow RF
Posts: 26
To drive trike, you need motorcycle license here.
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2011
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,121
If you get your IDP from the AA (port or tunnel office) they will stamp all categories, irrespective of what vehicle types your licence may actually cover.

In 7 years driving and riding in RUS, I have had to produce my IDP many, many times in countless routine Roads Police checks.

I always present it already open at the Russian language page, to which they appear relieved to see something they can read - even if they do not fully understand what it is they are looking at!
Never have they asked for my actual UK Licence.

On that basis, I would not worry!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need info on American drivers licence (americans read this please) peter-denmark Trip Paperwork 10 28 Mar 2008 01:21
No tiene Internation Drivers Licence- Problemo? MikeS Travellers' Advisories, Safety and Security on the Road 8 26 May 2007 01:51
gaining a drivers licence abroad funkyorange Trip Paperwork 6 22 Mar 2006 02:19
Int Drivers Licence Richard Washington Sahara Travel Forum 3 22 Nov 2005 18:35
Forge a drivers licence ? niels Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else 14 19 Oct 2005 01:56


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:37.