Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Trip Paperwork (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/)
-   -   Do India and China have an open border crossing? Nepal and (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/do-india-china-have-open-4034)

tonygs2000 9 Apr 2005 03:44

Do India and China have an open border crossing? Nepal and
That's my question.

Do India and China have an open border crossing? Nepal and China?

Thanks and safe riding!

mmaarten 11 Apr 2005 04:15

It all depends on what you want to take in to China.
If it is your motorbike, the anwser is No.
For China you need to contact the Chinese travel service to get permits and licenses. This can take up to 6 months and is very expensive.


- www.maartensworld.com -
- Some photo's -

beddhist 11 Apr 2005 05:34

To the best of my knowledge no road exists crossing the India-China border. Worse, in about 1959, while China occupied and then annexed Tibet, they also occupied stretches of land of Ladakh (India) and Pakistani Kashmir. The Indians won't even let you get anywhere near that border, bike or no.

The borders between China and Nepal and Pak are open, but not for foreign vehicles, as Maarten has already pointed out.

For more details read recent posts on the subject of China, particularly the one mis-named "China is open".

Salut from Southern France, the bikers' paradise,


tonygs2000 11 Apr 2005 20:47

Hm. I need advice. I want to ride the Karakoram Highway and don't want to bring my own bike from Italy. I had hoped to rent or buy one in India and ride to Pakistan and then to China. Any ideas if this can be done and who might be able to help?

beddhist 11 Apr 2005 22:07

Forget about crossing borders on a rented bike (outside Europe, that is). Not possible.

You'll need a carnet and you won't be able to get one as a non-resident in India.

Buying a bike in India and then leaving is an FAQ, please search the HUBB.

In short, you need to buy it in Nepal, where you CAN get a carnet. Seems a lot of hassle, though, just to ride the KKH.

Dunno about renting or buying in Pak. Just don't expect any big bikes...

I don't know how myuch time you want to spend, but have you considered riding to Pak & back?

Salut from Southern France, the bikers' paradise,


Red Bull 11 Apr 2006 15:52

Areas Close to the Indo CHINA Border are not open to Non INDIANS
I have one point to add to what Beddhist has already said.

Areas close to the Indo - CHINA Border (In Jammu and Kashmir - Chang la valley etc, and in the North eastern states - Arunachal Pradesh etc) are not open to NON INDIANS.
and even to Indians they are accessible only by getting an INNER LINE PERMIT from the ARMY.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:53.