Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2006
Contributing Member
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7
Confused about what paperwork we need!

Hi, if anyone out there could give us some advice on paperwork, we would be very grateful! We are planning a RTW trip, starting next March. We have a honda vfr 750 88 and a kawasaki 454 ltd 86. We are planning to drive through Europe, mainly along the South coast, in or around Turkey, as far across the middle east as we can, wherever it is safe to drive, then into India, South-East Asia, all the way down, the ship to Australia, across that, over to New Zealand, then across to South America and up from there to North America, then home to Dublin.

There's no limit on our trip, as we plan to stop regularly along the way and teach English, or work as divemasters, also do a lot of volunteering and charity work. Therefore, we don't know how long we will be staying in each country. I have checked all of this from a visa point of view and am sorting out the visas where necessary for us. However, the problem is the bikes! We are not clear if a carnet de Passage will do in this case. If we stay in India for a long time, will we have problems with our Carnet? If we end up spending the year getting through India, will our Carnet be useless by the time we reach India? Does it have a time limit on it? If so, what is the alternative? Also, if you are planning to stop and work, does this effect you taking the bike into another country? Do you need to re-register it there?
We are also unclear about motorbike insurance. Being Irish, we know that in Europe we need bike insurance. However, where else in the world do you need it? Is any insurance valid in India etc? Our bikes are not very valuable, so from that point of view insurance is not hugely important, but we would hate to end up having problems at borders etc if we don't have the papers they want!
Any advice you can give us would be grately appreciated! As we will need to start organising insurance if it is needed.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,366
The info is buried in various posts in various places on this site.

Working in a country - that has everything to do with the viasa you are issued - nothing to do with the bike/s.

Carnet are valid for 12 months - you can get new ones on the road - ask the people who issue you your first carnet - they should have some system in place.

Insurance ... most places want you to have third party (personal) insurance .. to cover their citizens if you run them down. This will probably be avaliable at the border. Sometimes it may not be worth teh money .. could go straight into someones pocket.

Registration - you will need to keep the bikes registered at home .. that way you should not have to register them eleswhere.. as I understand it you should be good for up to 12 months in any one country. After taht they may well consider you to be a permanent resident .. andy you'll have visa issues to deal with too.

Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006
Contributing Member
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 7
Thanks for your advice Frank, its very helpful! If you get insurance as you pass each border, does that mean for us leaving Ireland, we should only insure our bikes from Ireland through Europe, and then stop the Irish insurance policy? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but we've never done border crossings on bike before! We're wondering should we get Irish insurance? Or just leave it and pay as we enter each country?
Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,366
If you can get insurance at home for the other countries at a reasonable price then I'd do it. However you'll find that either 1) it is not avaliable or 2) it is priced too high.

If you can maintain your registration without insurance then do taht - it saves a bit of money .. and you certainly won't be able to claim on insurace when your in a country it is not valid for.
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2006
davidmc's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Posts: 377
The only insurance you should have before your trip is the "Green Card" insurance mandatory in all of Europe.

My green card covered me in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Turkey and was also valid for Iran.

I wouldn't worry about any other insurance. If its required, you will be able to get it at the border and the officials will make sure you get it before you leave the border area!

Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2006
beddhist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Whangarei, NZ
Posts: 2,227
Check out the carnet situation first. There was an Irishman here on HUBB a while ago who wrote that there is no organisation in Ireland issuing carnets.

Rego: whether or not you keep paying it depends on whether or not it is obvious from your rego papers that it has expired. I have travelled two years on an NZ registered bike and I let the rego lapse. I don't see the point in paying road tax for roads I don't use. I just peeled off the expired sticker. This trip I will be doing on German rego and I intend to deregister the bike somewhere convenient in Asia. Apparently, German embassies do this sort of thing. Otherwise, I'll be paying insurance as well, but won't be covered. There is a topic here somewhere about "editing" your rego papers (Canadian, cause you can only renew them in Canada...). Perhaps this might be an option for you.

Staying longer in a country than 6 or 12 months on a carnet is not possible. In India, for example, we had to leave after 6 months. If you stay and work then in theory you need to import your bike, which is possibly impractical. You could drive to a neighbouring country for a day and the 6 months should start again... This will not work in Oz or NZ, for obvious reasons...

Talk to your bike insurer about the Green Card, whether you have to pay extra or what countries they will cover. After Iran, forget about it.

Europe to NZ 2006-10
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

  • South Africa: Nov 13-16
  • Thailand: Jan 9-11, 2015
  • NEW! USA Virginia: Apr 9-12
  • NEW! HUMM Morocco: May 13-16
  • Germany: May 14-17
  • Canada Ontario: Jun 18-21
  • Ireland: June 26-28
  • Colorado: July 17-19 TBC
  • Canada West: Aug 20-23
  • USA California: Sep 24-27
  • Aus Queensland: Sep 24-27
  • USA North Carolina: Oct 8-11
  • Aus Perth: Oct 9-11
  • Germany: Oct 22-25

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Circle to Circle by Brian and Shirley Rix.

Circle to Circle - a journey through the Americas and beyond. by Shirley Hardy-Rix and Brian Rix

"Well written, funny and informative."
"Thoroughly entertaining!"
Available NOW from the authors' website!

Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:49.