if you're taking a foreign bike, that's the big deal. once you've cracked that, the visa should be straightforward for anyone in their home country
I was planning to go that way this year so found out the following from Wayne: email (xistinfo) at (yahoo.com.cn)
"we are able to help arranging the neccessary permit for you to drive your own motorbike from Kyrgstan to Pakistan. It will take us about 45 days to get the neccessary permit for you." approx $1000 per bike for 5 days in country, 1 day off in Kashgar
To Drive a Foreign-Licensed Vehicle into China
For permits and licenses what we need for each vehicle:
- 1 photo (color) of each vehicle (front, side, rear views with printable image size at 3inches x 5inches or 8cm x 13cm)
- 1 photo (color) of the vehicle regstriation license
- 1 photo of Automobile Safety & Technical Inspection Certificates
- 1 passport-sized photo (color) of each vehicle driver
- photocopy of driver's license (grayscale)
- photocopy of driver's passport identification page (grayscale or color)
Other information we need:
- vehicle frame serial number
- engine serial number
- vehicle make, model, year, engine size and type (eg. petrol, diesel)
- unloaded vehicle weight
- vehicle color(s)
You should be able to scan and email all images and documents. Please be sure that each image printable size is the same as noted above. Also, please limit the size of image file to 500 kilobytes or less.
We need the following information from each person in the party:
- Date of birth
- Passport #
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiration date
- We also need a photocopy-quality image (grayscale) of each participant's passport (id page).
- Also include as detailed an itinerary as possible including dates of entry and exit, port of entry into China , where you will exit China , and where you will travel to in China .
Our guide will meet you at Torugart Pass, the border of China and Kyrgystan, and lead you to Kashgar. On the exit date, our guide will meet you at Taxkurgan and help you to exit the Custom.