Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2004
KB KB is offline
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 9
border crossings thru EU countries and requirements

I will be travelling thru some Eu countries
this summer and
I have been told that they all have different entry requirements, ie. a full set of bulbs in France,Spare tire in ... Is there anyone who can help? The Countries are France, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France & UK. And are they that tight as I have been told that with the exception of Czech Republic there are no border check points
Anyone have all this information?
Thanks KB

Boy I have a lot of questions.......
Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2004
Steve Pickford's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,028

I mentioned these requirements in my e-mail as a note of caution & for you to be aware of them. I've travelled in France countless times & never had my spare bulbs checked.

I hope I've not raised your paranoia level too high?

Border crossings between EU countries are pretty much unmanned these days, unable to remember when I was last stopped. I'd expect the borders of the new EU member states to remain manned for the forseeable future.

Try these for info:



Had any luck with insurance? My offer still stands re: UK address.

My photos: www.possu.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2004
KB KB is offline
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 9
Aloha Steve, Yes I am working on it but the prices online seem a bit high (288 for 2 months) and have seen German rates as low as 22EU per month. I would much prefer to pay less. The bmw's available are countless in the UK and I suspect it wont be difficult to find one like the deal you mentioned about your bike. I have a glitch in my email, it didnt save the info long enough to record it all. The post code will come in handy, I appreciate the help
thanks Steve- KB
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2004
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: After almost 2 years on the road back in Germany
Posts: 106

regarding border crossing, there is just a real border when entering into Czech Rep., Switzerland and UK. When entering Czech, thez normally request a 6 month valid passport, nothing more, for Switzerland as well. Uk must be even easier for u. But Steve is right, check the CAA or AAA, they can give u the latest info. Hez, the EU is a civilized area, so no worries. have fun
Martin and Katja Wickert
Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2004
Steve Pickford's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,028

Copy of e-mail here:

Glad to be of assisstance!

I think you need a little clarification on vehicle ownership & registration
in the UK, it's very different & possibly less complicated than the US.

When you buy a bike here, the seller gives you the registration document
(called a "Logbook") at the time of purchase. You both sign & date it. The
seller sends his part of it to DVLA (Driver Vehicle Licensing Authortity)in
Swansea. You, the buyer, add your details, inc. address etc before posting
your part separately to the same address. DVLA then send you a new Logbook
in your name to the address you have entered on the logbook when you bought
the bike. This logbook will list you as the registered owner/keeper of that
bike at the address you specified. It will also state the name & address of
the former owner i.e. the guy/dealer you bought it from.

Insurance is easy: work out want bike you want, shop around for quotes (can
vary massively!), tell the insurance companies as much about the bike you
intend to buy as possible. When getting a quote, ask for a reference number.
This way, when you're near to having the bike, phone up the insurance
company of your choice & quote the reference number, this will save time as
they can bring the quote up & know who they're talking to. Give them the
vehicle registration number - this never changes in the UK & does not need
to be renewed annually. You'll be better off using the Brighton or my Oxford
postcode rather than a London postcode. Postcodes play a big part in how
much you pay. You'll be charged more for an inner city postcode because the
risk of theft is higher & possibly the chances of having an accident also. A
rural postcode is better, feel free to use mine.

Three levels of insurance:

TPO (Third Party Only) - covers any third party should you be the cause of
an accident. Take this cover if it's a cheap throwaway bike.

TPF&T (Third Party Fire & Theft) - as above but with additional cover for
Fire & Theft funnily enough.... This is what I have.

FC (Fully Comprehensive) - as TPF&T with additional cover where you can
claim for your own bike etc even in the event that any accident was your
fault. Does not cover riding gear & luggage although you may be able to get
this cover at an additional cost. Only worth having if you have an expensive
bike that you cannot afford to pay for yourself or if you owe a lot of
finance on the bike.

As an EU registered bike, any level of cover will provide you with the basic
legal minimum in any EU nation. If you want to upgrade your cover when
abroad, you'll pay extra & you'll need to advise them in advance of when
you're going abroad. Insurance companies may also offer European Breakdown
Recovery - worth having IMHO. I've just renewed my Insurance & paid an
additional £57.00 for a years cover. I think it covers me for up to 90 days
abroad in the year. You'll need to advise then in advance of the countries
you'll be visiting.

MOT - yearly road worthiness test. Quite easy.

UK bikes need Road Tax to be paid - £60.00 per year/£33.00 for 6 months.
Most bikes will be taxed when you buy them, easy to renew. To renew tax,
you'll need to fill in a form at a main Post Office & show them your
Insurance certificate, MOT & logbook. They'll check that everything matches
& issue you a tax disc on the spot once you've paid.

Travelling in Europe: photocopy ALL paperwork relating to the bike & stash
them in two places to avoid losing them. I tend to keep the originals in a
pouch hung around my shoulders & under my jacket. I also keep my passport,
ferry tickets & spare cash there as well.

You would do well to do a little research in advance on the countries you
intend visiting. Speed limits & punishments vary. In some countries you're
legally obliged to carry a full set of spare light bulbs (France). In
Austria it's illegal not to display a sticker stating your country of
origin. In Switzerland, you have to pay a full years toll for using the
motorway even if you only use it for one day passing through - avoid the
motorway there! The list is endless but would be time well spent. Please
note that another 10 countries join the EU on 1st May 2004.

Check this out: www.dvla.gov.uk

Hope this helps, apologies if the above is a little disjointed, I'm at work......



Got your e-mail re: dressing appropriately. We're quite formal here in Europe, black tie & tux needed to gain entry even for the lowliest roadside burger bar....

In summer the weather can vary quite a lot in Europe. I'd go for some sort of Goretex (or similar) jacket with built in protection. I use a Hein Gericke jacket with armour & a removable goretex liner. Mine also has zipped vents on the arms, chest & across the shoulders for air circulation in hot weather. Some mountains here are reasonably high & it can get a little chilly should you choose to use the high roads - I recommend that you do.

In the mountain areas, you'll come across long tunnels (15km). They're okay in a car but I tend to avoid the longer ones as the air quality inside is terrible - Tunnel de Frejus on the French/Italian border springs to mind. No ventilation, the centre section is slightly raised, all the exhaust fumes gather there in a big blue cloud, it's pretty grim on two wheels. Anyway, better to be outside on the high roads with a nice view.


My photos: www.possu.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2004
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sussex, England
Posts: 9
check this out for some info


About half way through the document it lists some of the legal requirements in all EU countries and some others too.

Norwich Union can also provide breakdown and repatriation cover to the UK. They are easy on non UK licences.

Not promoting this company in particular - just using them as an example.

It must be pointed out that most UK insurers do not generally like temporary residents and require that you "usually" reside in the UK.

Steve i am going to be a bit pedantic here - its Comprehensive cover NOT Fully Comprehensive.

I forgot to say look here http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...equipment.html for a comprehensive list of European country requirements.

[This message has been edited by XRChris (edited 21 May 2004).]
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:02.