Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2002
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stevenage England
Posts: 1

Im pretty new to this adventure motorbiking and I was wondering if u need a Carnet for Australia.
Also for insurance would I get it in the U.K or when I get to Australia.

Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Matane, Quebec
Posts: 90
Get ready for this.
I have just heard from a fellow biker that Australia has changed its importation requirements. All motorcycles are to have a carnet or if not then one must go through the process of getting a vehicle import licence from Australia. see www.dotrs.gov.au
This process can take several weeks.
Can someone please look into this as I am in NZ now and I am Australia bound next month and have no carnet.
Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2002
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 936
I looked at the Australian Government Documentation on their website Importing Vehicles to Australia - Page 10, and read the following:

In accordance with the provisions of certain international conventions on road traffic,
Australia recognises the temporary import of vehicles for a period of less than 12
months by visiting foreign nationals of signatory countries who hold a visitors visa
In this category vehicles may be allowed entry in one of two ways:

(a) By presenting a valid Carnet de Passage en Duane at port of entry to
Australia, in which case no Vehicle Import Approval is required.

(b) By submitting an application to import a vehicle accompanied by a copy of
current overseas registration document valid for the period of the visit and
passport pages showing nationality, personal details and valid Australian
visitor's visa.

The way I read this (just my interpretation, YMMV), you can do it the 'hard' way, with the old fashioned carnet, or you can do it 'their' way, by filling out a form and asking for permission in advance. My guess is that if you and the bike appear to them (on paper) to be bona fide visitors who are just passing through, they will grant you a permission in advance, without requiring you to get a carnet. If they think you plan to import something that is not available or allowed in Australia (Hayabusa, 400hp street racer, exotic crotch rocket tax unpaid, etc.) and then sell it, they'll probably ask you to post a bond or get a carnet.

Let us know what you find out.

[This message has been edited by PanEuropean (edited 25 March 2002).]
Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2002
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4
You might also like to check out this gem. Once you have imported the bike, you then need the Unregistered Vehicle Permit to take it on the road (inludes 3rd party insurance) and even better, it looks like each State has its own . . . .

I imagine many travellers decide not to go to the trouble ??


Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2002
Susan Johnson's Avatar
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canada
Posts: 710
Hi Kevin and Julia

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of paperwork, but I note the link you posted is dated January 1998, so doesn't sound like things have changed recently. Maybe they're just getting pickier about their regulations?

Have you contacted the individual states? From the link, it sounds like several of them require third party insurance cover. I wonder if that's available for all of Australia, or if you have to buy it in each state?

Please let us know what you find out.

Susan Johnson

Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:03.