Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Trip Paperwork

Trip Paperwork Covers all documentation, carnets, customs and country requirements, how to deal with insurance etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2005
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
advise on carnet

I am a Norwegian citizen living in Indonesia planning to purchase a bike in Germany, registrar it in Germany, and ‘hit the road’.
Under these circumstances, I am not sure where or how I could obtain a carnet de passage, and what is the best way to do it. Would highly appreciate if you can give me some advise..
I learned that the German automotive association does no longer issue carnet for non Germans.
Will appreciate any advice/guidance I can get.
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 49

It would be helpful to know which countries you are visiting or planning to at least. You might get some help from the RAC in the UK but you have to know which countries you are visiting.



Five weeks until UK to Gambia, Four kids, one wife and a Land Rover.

I came, I saw. I ran for it.
Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005
simmo's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: melbourne
Posts: 557
Hi Miwi

You may be able to get the carnet from Norway. i know of an Australian who organised his carnet from australia for an Enfeild he bought in India. He organised the process before he left, and once he had the details to pass on, the Carnet was sent over. Maybe you could do something similar.


Close to Antarctica and a long way from reality
Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2005
parkie's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 199
I would imagine you will have to get your carnet in Germany. My experience as a New Zealander that bought and registered a bike in the UK was that I had to get the carnet issued in the UK - presumably the same for Germany?

280,000 kms on a TDM850 - ridden 2 up UK-NZ. Now abusing a Cagiva Elefant
Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2005
beddhist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Whangarei, NZ
Posts: 2,227
In order to register a vehicle in Germany you have to register yourself first as a resident. As a non-EU citizen this could be next to impossible. If you succeed, the ADAC will give you a carnet.

The other option are export plates, but they are only valid for one year and I have read in a few places that some countries will not let you in with these.

I suggest you register the bike in Norway.

Europe to NZ 2006-10
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2005
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks all for your answers.
I found out that i can issue the carnet in Norway if i have a Norwegian bank guarantee equivalent to the value of the bike.
I assume there is no other way around this, although i was naturally hoping to employ all my funds for the trip and make it as long as possible. A carnet will be subject to bond/bank guarantee in any case? or are they countries which require only a one time payment for the carnet? another question is, if i choose to travel without carnet i understand i will have to leave a bond at the entrance of some countries, equivalent to the motorcycle taxes in same country. Is that bond being paid back to you when you leave the country?
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2005
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,576
Originally posted by miwi:
Thanks all for your answers.
A carnet will be subject to bond/bank guarantee in any case? or are they countries which require only a one time payment for the carnet?
Yes, that's how it works. UK and one or two others do it like an "insurance" with a one shot payment - but it costs much more in the end. The advantage is you don't have as much money tied up during the trip. OTOH, with the bond method, when you get home you have a little money to get started again.

Originally posted by miwi:

another question is, if i choose to travel without carnet i understand i will have to leave a bond at the entrance of some countries, equivalent to the motorcycle taxes in same country. Is that bond being paid back to you when you leave the country?
To the first question, I can't think of one off-hand! Doesn't mean there aren't though. Generally they do REQUIRE you to leave the country with the bike - it's stamped into your passport that you entered with it, and you can't leave without it. They will also charge you much larger fees to enter without a carnet. NOT refundable.

Many countries don't require a carnet, many won't accept it - they have their own system, generally the passport stamp, or they just charge a small fee.

Those that do require a carnet often can't be entered at all without it.

Read the Carnet info page - link on left - for more details.

Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


One world, Two wheels.

[This message has been edited by Grant Johnson (edited 02 December 2005).]
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:28.