Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Travellers Seeking Travellers

Travellers Seeking Travellers Meet up with other travellers on the road, or find someone to travel with to the ends of the earth!
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard-NL
  • 1 Post By Richard-NL

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
motorbike trip to follow the Nile

hi all
hopefully next month will start my trip to follow the Nile
its my first trip after my bad accident almost 3 years ago
the route will be
Egypt - Sudan - Ethiopia - Kenya - Uganda- Rwanda - Burundi - maybe Congo depend on the problems in the east of the country - Tanzania ,and then back via South Sudan
starting last week of November ,hope i can avoid the ferry between Egypt and Sudan and be able to use the new road
i will take my time so i an know ,learn and discover more and more
my interest is mainly on culture , nature . but will always avoid as much as i can touristic places spending time with the tribes
estimated time of the trip is 90 days
will be riding Honda Africa twin ,
of course would love to meet travelers here and there or may travel a bit with others ,
will be great if i can find others in Ethiopia to do lake Turkana route together
cheers and travel safe always

preparing my trip please visit my page
http://www.facebook.com/egyptianvoyager

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 121
sounds good. Good luck Although if you're not going two up, I'd say Africa Twin might get a bit tiring if you keep dropping it and picking it up in miles of soggy mud or whatever there may be... Although having multiple bikes is a luxury.. but if you did.. I'd take something small (with a comfy seat? :P ) and light that wont sink and get stuck...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by olionel View Post
sounds good. Good luck Although if you're not going two up, I'd say Africa Twin might get a bit tiring if you keep dropping it and picking it up in miles of soggy mud or whatever there may be... Although having multiple bikes is a luxury.. but if you did.. I'd take something small (with a comfy seat? :P ) and light that wont sink and get stuck...
yes you are right ,but its the bike i ride for several years and know how to fix it ,
and it took me in many places ,last trip was from Cape town to Cairo solo ,spent 6 months and rode 22730 km around
for sure it will be better if it 100 km lighter hahahah
cheers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23 Oct 2012
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Hi

Pity you're not going next year...I've been planning this for a while but am trying to sort income out before packing up!

Just out of interest how are you getting the motorbike into egypt?...

Best of luck
Les
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi Adventurer View Post
Hi

Pity you're not going next year...I've been planning this for a while but am trying to sort income out before packing up!

Just out of interest how are you getting the motorbike into egypt?...

Best of luck
Les
Hi Les ,how are you man ?
well perhaps i do it again and again next year
about my bike being in Egypt
very simple im Egyptian and i live here and so do my bike ,easy
yeah sure had to pay a hell of customs to get it here
ride safe always
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 136
Hey Omar,

I'm going partly the same route as you are planning to go. I hope to be in Aswan at the third or fourth week of November. I will stay there for a couple days or week to arrange my visa for Sudan. Maybe we can meet up and / or riding together.

Cheers, Richard
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL View Post
Hey Omar,

I'm going partly the same route as you are planning to go. I hope to be in Aswan at the third or fourth week of November. I will stay there for a couple days or week to arrange my visa for Sudan. Maybe we can meet up and / or riding together.

Cheers, Richard
Hi Richard
how are you ?
first of all you are more than welcome to stay over in Alexandria with me for few days if you want
i don't know which route i will take from Alex to Aswan (3 main routes )
1-following the Nile
2- via the red sea
3- vis the oases
the longest is the oases but its the best one to see many of the hight lights of the Sahara in Egypt
you have to be there by Friday the Th max to get the ferry
and for the visa you may also apply for it in Cairo
Kamal the ferry fixer can sort the visa too from Aswan but you may need then to be there on Wednesday
cheers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 136
Hey Omar,

Yeah I heard that the visa can be arranged in Cairo, but been there once and this city is really to big for me. I've been in Istanbul, Ankara, Tehran but Cairo is the limit haha. I was thinking of heading down through Sinai and take the ferry from Sharm and then down the red sead and Aswan. I haven't been in Alex yet, but have been in, as said Cairo, Luxor Aswan as a tourist with a friend of my. At that time I left my bike in Dahab with friends. Let me think about visiting you in Alex (sound nice) and heading down together.

I'm have no time limit and would be nice to drive for a while with another biker. By the way I'm riding a gs1200, I know it's big but I'm a tall person so a have to leave my legs somewhere ;-)

Cheers Richard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL View Post
Hey Omar,

Yeah I heard that the visa can be arranged in Cairo, but been there once and this city is really to big for me. I've been in Istanbul, Ankara, Tehran but Cairo is the limit haha. I was thinking of heading down through Sinai and take the ferry from Sharm and then down the red sead and Aswan. I haven't been in Alex yet, but have been in, as said Cairo, Luxor Aswan as a tourist with a friend of my. At that time I left my bike in Dahab with friends. Let me think about visiting you in Alex (sound nice) and heading down together.

I'm have no time limit and would be nice to drive for a while with another biker. By the way I'm riding a gs1200, I know it's big but I'm a tall person so a have to leave my legs somewhere ;-)


Cheers Richard

hahahah
you are always welcome to my house
perhapsthere is another biker is joining too with 800 GS
bit lighter though
lets be intouch and will see how it will go
i do hate big cities too, but have to go there to arrange my visas and other things grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 136
Aha, the more the better.

Yeah, I've been searching the internet and other traveler stories. They say that the Sudanese consulate in Aswan is much more flexible than the Sudanese Embassy in Cairo. I've already my visa for Ethiopia.

What about overnights, I have all the camping gear with me and almost complete independent

From Taba it's a one a two day ride to Alex I guess. Look forward man !!!!

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL View Post
Aha, the more the better.

Yeah, I've been searching the internet and other traveler stories. They say that the Sudanese consulate in Aswan is much more flexible than the Sudanese Embassy in Cairo. I've already my visa for Ethiopia.

What about overnights, I have all the camping gear with me and almost complete independent

From Taba it's a one a two day ride to Alex I guess. Look forward man !!!!

Cheers
yes its 2 day trip easy ride ,
when you think you can be here ?
contact me boefre as i may be in Cairo
and sure camping camping no money for hotels ,hahahah

safe ride always
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24 Oct 2012
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 402
Hi Omar,
Good to see you're on the road again.

Have a Great Trip

If you remember my daughter Caroline (we all met on the road in the Western Desert, shortly before your unfortunate accident), she says to let you know that she's living in Kigali now, in a place big enough to take visitors with bike. I'll send you PM with the details.

Cheers
Ken
__________________
TTR250 - London to Cape Town
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alexandria Egypt
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrankpin View Post
Hi Omar,
Good to see you're on the road again.

Have a Great Trip

If you remember my daughter Caroline (we all met on the road in the Western Desert, shortly before your unfortunate accident), she says to let you know that she's living in Kigali now, in a place big enough to take visitors with bike. I'll send you PM with the details.

Cheers
Ken
Hi Ken ,how are you
of course i do remember you on your 250 bikes ,we met 200 km exactly north of Dakhla Oasis ,
thanks a lot for you and Caroline kind offer ,will make sure to pass by ,
its always good to meet some one from the country as i never been in Rwanda before
keep it up and hope to meet you again on the road
any coming trips from your side ?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NamBotZamZim trip mikebike Route Planning 7 21 Oct 2012 20:19
My USA Road Trip Is Over panman Ride Tales 6 9 Sep 2012 11:33
Around the world trip unimatrix1 Travellers Seeking Travellers 9 11 May 2012 06:50
fishing rods to suit motorbike trip dajg Equipment Reviews 0 25 Apr 2012 07:57
help: 1st time planning trip through SE asia zilley Trip Paperwork 7 21 Dec 2011 11:23

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.



Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30.