Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Planning, Trip > Travellers Seeking Travellers

Travellers Seeking Travellers Meet up with other travellers on the road, or find someone to travel with to the ends of the earth!
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Calendar Contest Voting is now CLOSED. Results to be posted shortly.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15 Sep 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 13
Mexico and Central America sometime in October

My husband and I have been planning this trip for over a year. Utah to Mexico/Central America by bike. We have six months. Currently we are in Washington, about to start heading down the west coast.
Our families are not excited about the news coming out of Mexico currently. We are looking for fellow travelers who may be crossing the border sometime in October or early November. You know, "safety in numbers." At least this is what we plan to tell our families. Our dates and departure location (ie. border crossing) are flexible given enough time.
My husband rides a Honda 650 XR and I ride a Kawasaki KLR 250 (Lois Pryce style!) We travel casually but can cover ground if we need to. Set up for on or off-road riding. We've been on the road since June so are in the riding groove.
Let me know if you are interested or have similar travel plans.

Cheers,
Katie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16 Sep 2010
BlackBeast's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 325
Hi Katie,
Like I said in another thread, don't let the media reports scare you off. My wife and I are having an amazing time in Mexico. Take all the usual precautions as you would in any other new city and you will be fine. You will find the larger the group you become, the less interaction you will get from locals or the less help you will get. Everyone stops to talk to us and we get by with our broken Spanish. Currently on the Baja.
Daryll
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16 Sep 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: utah
Posts: 9
mexico travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_beth View Post
My husband and I have been planning this trip for over a year. Utah to Mexico/Central America by bike. We have six months. Currently we are in Washington, about to start heading down the west coast.
Our families are not excited about the news coming out of Mexico currently. We are looking for fellow travelers who may be crossing the border sometime in October or early November. You know, "safety in numbers." At least this is what we plan to tell our families. Our dates and departure location (ie. border crossing) are flexible given enough time.
My husband rides a Honda 650 XR and I ride a Kawasaki KLR 250 (Lois Pryce style!) We travel casually but can cover ground if we need to. Set up for on or off-road riding. We've been on the road since June so are in the riding groove.
Let me know if you are interested or have similar travel plans.

Cheers,
Katie
Hi we live in Park City..Oakley to be exact and we are looking into doing the same trip and would leave mid Oct. or before..we have ridden in Mexico before and have had no problems..we plan to cross to Columbia and then ship bikes back from there..we have friends in Columbia that will show us around..we would like to talk to you..you can reply to rockercbj-travel@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16 Sep 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Hi Katie,
Like I said in another thread, don't let the media reports scare you off. My wife and I are having an amazing time in Mexico. Take all the usual precautions as you would in any other new city and you will be fine. You will find the larger the group you become, the less interaction you will get from locals or the less help you will get. Everyone stops to talk to us and we get by with our broken Spanish. Currently on the Baja.
Daryll
Thanks for that info. We were hoping to hear from people who are currently in Mexico. Which border crossing did you guys use and how long have you been down there?
Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17 Sep 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: England
Posts: 85
Hi Katie,

I`ve been in Mexico for about 17 days now. I crossed at Douglas/Agua Prieta on a Sunday so it was pretty quiet and fairly straightforward. I`ve had no problems since being here and am currently in Mexico City, heading for Oaxaca tomorrow and then onwards to CA. I`m sure you`ll have a great trip!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17 Sep 2010
BlackBeast's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_beth View Post
Thanks for that info. We were hoping to hear from people who are currently in Mexico. Which border crossing did you guys use and how long have you been down there?
Cheers.
We crossed at Tijuana as a friend of ours crossed at Tecate a week earlier and suggested that we use Tijuana as the road was under contstruction at Tecate and it took him forever to get to Ensenada. Tijuana was pretty straight forward and the traffic wasn't that bad. I've ridden in worse.
We've been on the Baja for 5 days so far.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20 Sep 2010
bilgeewarrior's Avatar
Gold Member
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 6
Similar Trip

Hi Katie,
i'm leaving Vancouver BC Mid October for what sounds like the same trip. I also like to travel casually. I too am interested in what border crossing is the best. If it works out i would be interested in the safty in numbers thing for the border.
Mike.
__________________
Mike: Mexico and Central America 2010
http://questionasanswers.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 Sep 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgeewarrior View Post
Hi Katie,
i'm leaving Vancouver BC Mid October for what sounds like the same trip. I also like to travel casually. I too am interested in what border crossing is the best. If it works out i would be interested in the safty in numbers thing for the border.
Mike.
Mike,
Let's talk. Shoot us an email: kmenghini@hotmail.com
We are in California now, heading for Yosemite for a few days. What did you have in mind as far as a border crossing?

cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28 Sep 2010
ajaxer's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Travelling home to Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 32
Hi Katie,

I am in Austin now and planning to cross into Mexico in a few days. Am keen to hook up with some others as I am travelling alone and would really like some company until I find out how Mexico works. Are you still in the US?
__________________
Ajaxer(Back in the fold)
BMW R1200RT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28 Sep 2010
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 118
I'm in Boulder CO heading back over to Bend OR then down to Mexico, I should be at the border in a few weeks
__________________
Damon

I dreamed a dream that i was a dream, so when i woke i decided to live life like it is a dream

Spot tracker
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 6 Oct 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany/Dresden
Posts: 2
Hi and Hello,
i am drive now from Alaska to South america. I drive alone. I think now is better when i drive with other People. Im moment i am in Victoria and in 3 Weeks in California. Then Mexico. I would like have with you a meeting. Im drive a Kawasaki KLR 650 . I have time 6 months a i am from Germany. We can us writing. Thank you and have a safety drive. My English is a little. Iam learning step by step. i am was starting in 6.september from Vancouver to Alaska a now to back in Canada Vancouver Island.
Best greetings Edmund
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 7 Oct 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Z├╝rich
Posts: 17
unstoppable through it :-)

Hi Guys

Im on the same way in a similar schedule. Rode my bike from switzerland to Mongolia, than I flew it into Canada. Now I'm on the Panamericana. >>> the unstoppables &ndash; we stop at nothing <<<

Guess I'll reach mexico in about two weeks. Maybe we meet up somewhere.

PS. Answer me on my email (Kontakt on my page) I don't check out the hubb so often.

Hasta luego

Glenn
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11 Oct 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundtengai View Post
Hi and Hello,
i am drive now from Alaska to South america. I drive alone. I think now is better when i drive with other People. Im moment i am in Victoria and in 3 Weeks in California. Then Mexico. I would like have with you a meeting. Im drive a Kawasaki KLR 650 . I have time 6 months a i am from Germany. We can us writing. Thank you and have a safety drive. My English is a little. Iam learning step by step. i am was starting in 6.september from Vancouver to Alaska a now to back in Canada Vancouver Island.
Best greetings Edmund
Edmund,
Yes, let's talk. Send me an email at kmenghini@hotmail.com and we can talk about some details. We are in Arizona right now and are thinking of crossing the border in a couple weeks. Around October 23 or 24. What are you thinking?

Cheers,
Katie

P.S. Great job on your English!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11 Oct 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer View Post
I'm in Boulder CO heading back over to Bend OR then down to Mexico, I should be at the border in a few weeks
Where were you thinking of crossing? Arizona or California?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12 Oct 2010
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_beth View Post
Where were you thinking of crossing? Arizona or California?
No real solid plans, either/or was thinking maybe heading down Baja but things may change

I'm in Portland right now, servicing the bike and leaving on Thurday

Where are you crossing?
__________________
Damon

I dreamed a dream that i was a dream, so when i woke i decided to live life like it is a dream

Spot tracker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central America-Mexico-Usa ready2ride Travellers Seeking Travellers 3 4 Jun 2007 18:04
Mexico and Central America in October '06 DancesWithDogs Travellers Seeking Travellers 2 7 Jun 2006 18:44
Mexico & Central America in September or October? DancesWithDogs Travellers Seeking Travellers 6 11 May 2006 17:59
Mexico-Central America in Jan/02 Sig Taylor Travellers Seeking Travellers 6 24 Dec 2001 06:16

 
 



HU DVD Spring Special!

Buy the Achievable Dream Collectors Set and get Road Heroes Part 1 FREE!

Achievable Dream - The Whole Enchilada!

Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.


What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders


contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!




New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.



Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:21.