Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Travellers Seeking Travellers (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/)
-   -   Karakorum Highway, Kyrgyzstan, China, Pakistan, Summer 2012- sharing guide costs (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/karakorum-highway-kyrgyzstan-china-pakistan-60669)

Fern 10 Dec 2011 23:44

Karakorum Highway, Kyrgyzstan, China, Pakistan, Summer 2012- sharing guide costs
 
Hello

I am posting to try and gauge any interest in travelling via the Stans, into China and then down into Pakistan.

To get through China, a guide is needed, and I have seen figures posted around about the €/£800 mark, this is very expensive, and I know that last year, a group got together and traveled together, thus sharing the expense.

If you are interested in doing this in 2012, please let me know and post here, as mentioned elsewhere, if the political situation between the US/EU states and Iran becomes more delicate, then this option may prove more popular.

I will be contacting the two state registered travel guide companies that do the route in the mean time and get up to date prices. I know it is necessary to book up several months in advance of travel, in order to get all the paperwork in order, so not to long to sort out.

Fern

Ekke 11 Dec 2011 15:01

Great idea
 
Thanks Fern,

We're planning to ride through the 'Stan's in the summer of 2012 on the way to Vladivostok then circle back to Europe via Japan, SE Asia, India and Iran. With Canada having also increased sanctions against Iran and knowing of at least two Canadians who have had trouble getting their Iranian visas before this trouble began we're looking for alternatives too. This certainly is the most palatable one.

I don't know if we would switch our trip around (a figure 8 instead of a big loop) so that we could share a guide but it is certainly worth considering. What approximate time frame are you looking to do this?

babelfish 11 Dec 2011 15:56

Hi Fern,

I will be interested. I am planning London to Pakistan sometime in June / July 2012.

Thanks,

Khalid

John Laverick 11 Dec 2011 16:37

Hi,

I'm new to this site; I was planning on the riding Turkey - Iran - Pakistan - India this summer but with the Iranian situation it maybe that a rethink is required.

Let me know what you find out about the costs involved with overlanding through China as I could quite possible join you for a group crossing.

Regards

John

Hemuli 11 Dec 2011 21:25

Possibly joining also this summer. Should know my plans (hopefully) in the coming week.

asilindean 12 Dec 2011 08:35

Hi

I plan the same route for 2012.
My scheduled for 2012 :
Departure from Romania: end of April 2012
Turkey – Georgia – Armenia – Georgia – Azerbaijan
Entering Turkmenistan from Azerbaijan by ferry: mid may 2012
The Stans – 4 to 5 weeks
Entering Mongolia from Russia (Tashanta): end of June 2012
Vladivostok – end of July, ship the bike by boat to Magadan and fly there.
Magadan: beginning of August 2012
Road of Bones maybe Old Summer Road
Yakutsk – mid August 2012
Irkutsk – beginning of September 2012
In beginning of September coming back home from Russia via Transiberian Highway, Volvograd – Kiev – Chisinau – Bucharest.

I guess we can keep contact and exchange information, maybe ride parts of the road together.

My email: asilindean@gmail.com

Adrian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekke (Post 359007)
Thanks Fern,

We're planning to ride through the 'Stan's in the summer of 2012 on the way to Vladivostok then circle back to Europe via Japan, SE Asia, India and Iran. With Canada having also increased sanctions against Iran and knowing of at least two Canadians who have had trouble getting their Iranian visas before this trouble began we're looking for alternatives too. This certainly is the most palatable one.

I don't know if we would switch our trip around (a figure 8 instead of a big loop) so that we could share a guide but it is certainly worth considering. What approximate time frame are you looking to do this?


bajatwin 12 Dec 2011 09:32

Great idea to split costs.

We are planning on leaving from The Netherlands to SEA in March '12 (2up). Either via Turkey - Iran - Pakistan - India or Turkey - the stans - Mongolia - Japan or like these Honeymooners (Motoventurers: honeymoon world motorcycle adventure) via Turkey - the stans and a passage through China, pref. in April or May.

It all depends on how the situation in Iran will develop over the coming months.

simone1967 12 Dec 2011 13:42

hi Fern,

sounds like a good idea. i'm planning a similar trip for 2012 but for a single person the cost of the china guide are much to high...
maybe we can ride parts of the trip together ?

Belle 12 Dec 2011 16:41

Hi Fern,

I would be interested although I'd need to peel off into Mongolia at some stage as I've got something to do there. But I'm flexible on the timing.

Belle

nachov 12 Dec 2011 20:47

Great idea!
 
Hi Fern and the others,

I'm planning to leave from Paris end of May 2012 with a similar plan and would love to include China. Actually, China was my first objective when I first thought of travelling on a bike.

What's your schedule? Is it flexible?

I may also leave from the HU meeting in Germany on June 10th.

Cheers,
Nacho

Fern 14 Dec 2011 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekke (Post 359007)
Thanks Fern,

We're planning to ride through the 'Stan's in the summer of 2012 on the way to Vladivostok then circle back to Europe via Japan, SE Asia, India and Iran. With Canada having also increased sanctions against Iran and knowing of at least two Canadians who have had trouble getting their Iranian visas before this trouble began we're looking for alternatives too. This certainly is the most palatable one.

I don't know if we would switch our trip around (a figure 8 instead of a big loop) so that we could share a guide but it is certainly worth considering. What approximate time frame are you looking to do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asilindean (Post 359126)
Hi

I plan the same route for 2012.
My scheduled for 2012 :
Departure from Romania: end of April 2012
Turkey – Georgia – Armenia – Georgia – Azerbaijan
Entering Turkmenistan from Azerbaijan by ferry: mid may 2012
The Stans – 4 to 5 weeks
Entering Mongolia from Russia (Tashanta): end of June 2012
Vladivostok – end of July, ship the bike by boat to Magadan and fly there.
Magadan: beginning of August 2012
Road of Bones maybe Old Summer Road
Yakutsk – mid August 2012
Irkutsk – beginning of September 2012
In beginning of September coming back home from Russia via Transiberian Highway, Volvograd – Kiev – Chisinau – Bucharest.

I guess we can keep contact and exchange information, maybe ride parts of the road together.

My email: asilindean@gmail.com

Adrian

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajatwin (Post 359143)
Great idea to split costs.

We are planning on leaving from The Netherlands to SEA in March '12 (2up). Either via Turkey - Iran - Pakistan - India or Turkey - the stans - Mongolia - Japan or like these Honeymooners (Motoventurers: honeymoon world motorcycle adventure) via Turkey - the stans and a passage through China, pref. in April or May.

It all depends on how the situation in Iran will develop over the coming months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nachov (Post 359211)
Hi Fern and the others,

I'm planning to leave from Paris end of May 2012 with a similar plan and would love to include China. Actually, China was my first objective when I first thought of travelling on a bike.

What's your schedule? Is it flexible?

I may also leave from the HU meeting in Germany on June 10th.

Cheers,
Nacho

I am very lucky, my time frame is very flexible, I can hand my notice in at work a month before I go, so time frame is dependent on how much money I get from my personal injury settlement from a car accident I had, the less money I spend, the faster I will do the trip, and the faster I will travel through Europe.

At the moment, my route is looking like:
UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, (might nip up to Almaty in Kazakhstan whilst in that neck of the woods) Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Pakistan, India, Nepal, then into South East Asia.

Looking to leave UK from May to June, so good idea about the german Hubb meeting, but as for passage dates of the KKH, I can be flexible and go when most people can make a larger group if that makes sense.

I will spend some time in Lahore and Islamabad, as I have an offer of accommodation with UK diplomats. The FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office UK) advise against all travel on the road from Gilgit to Islamabad, so dunno whether to risk it or go a long way round.

One concern is hitting the tail end of the monsoon in India (I gather the monsoon is from June to September). I don't want to spend much time in India, but head straight from Pakistan to Nepal, by the shortest distance.

Haven't contacted the two travel companies yet, as have been very busy at work :-(

Hemuli 14 Dec 2011 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 359419)
At the moment, my route is looking like:
UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, (might nip up to Almaty in Kazakhstan whilst in that neck of the woods) Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Pakistan, India, Nepal, then into South East Asia.

Looking to leave UK from May to June, so good idea about the german Hubb meeting, but as for passage dates of the KKH, I can be flexible and go when most people can make a larger group if that makes sense.

I will spend some time in Lahore and Islamabad, as I have an offer of accommodation with UK diplomats. The FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office UK) advise against all travel on the road from Gilgit to Islamabad, so dunno whether to risk it or go a long way round.

One concern is hitting the tail end of the monsoon in India (I gather the monsoon is from June to September). I don't want to spend much time in India, but head straight from Pakistan to Nepal, by the shortest distance.

Haven't contacted the two travel companies yet, as have been very busy at work :-(

Hi Fern,

I have quite much similar plans for the route (if Iran is not possible).
Do you know if there is any special permits needed to Turkmenistan?
Still waiting information from my company when I would be free to enjoy my life :thumbup1:

-Marko

Revenue 16 Dec 2011 08:21

On the way home
 
Hi All
I will be leaving the UK the first week August, heading through
France
Germany
Austria
Hungary
Romania
Bulgaria
Turkey
Georgia
Russia
Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
China 10th September Kashgar {approx 33 days in China}
China Lhasa
China Mohan
Laos
Home Thailand.

Very flexible with the route but my start date is really fixed within a week.

Eric

henryuk 16 Dec 2011 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemuli (Post 359451)
Hi Fern,

I have quite much similar plans for the route (if Iran is not possible).
Do you know if there is any special permits needed to Turkmenistan?
Still waiting information from my company when I would be free to enjoy my life :thumbup1:

-Marko


Marko,

After the death of Nyazov TM was supposed to open up a bit but it's apparently not changed much - LOI required - you're supposed to have a guide (although there are ways around this if you're on a transit visa). It is a bit of a hassle but a great place to visit. The easiest (logistically) way to get across is probably Russia - Kazakhstan - Kyrg although you can also get a boat to KZ from Azerbaijan. As I'm going to be pushed for time I am heading Ukraine - Russia - KZ - Kyrg - China - Pak - India - Ley.

The best looking route over to Nepal would IMO be to go through Srinigar and up to Ley then down to Manali. It's not the shortest but the Ley - Manali road looks mental.

I will also be heading down to Nepal to get the plane to BKK along with the rest of you - I am setting off June 12th (would have liked to go earlier but my best mate is inconveniently getting married) - watching this space..... In the words of captain planet - Our Powers Combine! (to get a discount on a guide but hey)

Keith1954 16 Dec 2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryuk (Post 359643)
... but the Ley - Manali road looks mental.

How do you mean /define 'mental' Henry?

Just [genuinely] curious.

Thanks

KEITH

.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:03.


vB.Sponsors