Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Travellers Seeking Travellers (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/)
-   -   Central/South America- 2012 (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/central-south-america-2012-a-61052)

Franki 3 Jan 2012 10:57

Central/South America- 2012
 
Dear All,

I am a Hong Kong Chinese with 43 years riding experience.

I am planning a trip from San Francisco to Tierra del Fuego and back up somewhere in S. America. The bike I shall be using is a 2007 KLR650. I want to start the trip in Oct. 2012 and hope that it will end in about 3 months.

I love to take photos and shall be spending some time capturing beautiful scenes along the way.

Any seasoned traveller who thinks about the same way would be welcomed to discuss the plan here.:welcome: May be we can make a team.bier

Happy New Year!

Franki

Shibby! 3 Jan 2012 17:22

Franki,

I'm in Guatemala right now and I can tell you that you will need a lot more than 3 months. Think 6 or more to make it enjoyable.

I have already been in Mexico, Belize and Guat for over two months.

Unless you want to ride from sunrise to sunset every day and take all the toll roads there is pretty much no way. You won't enjoy it.

Growler 3 Jan 2012 23:34

I hope to be crossing into Mexico middle to end of August but at your pace it shouldn't take too long for you to catch me maybe I'll see you on the road. I'll be riding a vstrom 650

Cheers Growler

charapashanperu 5 Jan 2012 00:53

Longer!
 
There,s no reason to even do it if you don't take at least 6 months! Read some of the moto travel reports for the areas you want to travel and adjust your time. 250km is a good day on gravel. 400km is a good day on pavement. If you will have to cross a border, then 1/2 the kms of the afor mentioned. Rest day every 3rd (for you as much as to fix things on the moto). At special places (Cuzco, Foz, Salta, etc) take 2 or 3 days...

Any faster than that and you will return home with regrets...

Just sayin... after my 30 years riding in South America...

Toby :mchappy::mchappy::mchappy:

Franki 8 Jan 2012 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibby! (Post 361525)
Franki,

I'm in Guatemala right now and I can tell you that you will need a lot more than 3 months. Think 6 or more to make it enjoyable.

I have already been in Mexico, Belize and Guat for over two months.

Unless you want to ride from sunrise to sunset every day and take all the toll roads there is pretty much no way. You won't enjoy it.


Thank you Shibby for your suggestion. I know it might take a lot longer to enjoy Latin America. The length of time is not fixed, but may be my wallet size will determin how far I can go:stormy:

Franki 8 Jan 2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler (Post 361575)
I hope to be crossing into Mexico middle to end of August but at your pace it shouldn't take too long for you to catch me maybe I'll see you on the road. I'll be riding a vstrom 650

Cheers Growler


Hi Growler,

I'll be looking out for a DL650 on the road:thumbup1:

See ya,

Franki

Franki 8 Jan 2012 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by charapashanperu (Post 361754)
There,s no reason to even do it if you don't take at least 6 months! Read some of the moto travel reports for the areas you want to travel and adjust your time. 250km is a good day on gravel. 400km is a good day on pavement. If you will have to cross a border, then 1/2 the kms of the afor mentioned. Rest day every 3rd (for you as much as to fix things on the moto). At special places (Cuzco, Foz, Salta, etc) take 2 or 3 days...

Any faster than that and you will return home with regrets...

Just sayin... after my 30 years riding in South America...

Toby :mchappy::mchappy::mchappy:


Thank you Toby for your insights. I have to agree with you about the daily riding distance. I do about the same in China. I shall be studying more on other people's travel reports, its never too late to learnjeiger

Franki

Roameo 10 Jan 2012 00:37

Hey Growler we should keep in touch. We may be hitting Mexico around the same time. My plan is to leave Canada in June and work my way down towards Mexico around the end of August as well. I have no set timeline so am in know rush when I get to Mexico and work my way down through Central/South america. I am planning a RTW and expect to be on the road for years not months. I will be riding a Triumph Tiger 800.

saralou 10 Jan 2012 05:53

We will be in Mex/CA in fall to winter. Maybe we will see you on the road if you are able to go more than 3 months! Sara & Daniel

Franki 10 Jan 2012 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by saralou (Post 362431)
We will be in Mex/CA in fall to winter. Maybe we will see you on the road if you are able to go more than 3 months! Sara & Daniel


Hi Sara & Daniel,

Even if I zoomed passed Latin America, I stiill like to stop and talk to fellow travellers. I shall be posting the development on this thread and see how many HUers I can talk to on the way.:D

Franki

Growler 11 Jan 2012 00:33

Roameo: Sounds good, I might be slightly ahead but want to take spanish lessons somewhere, you'll probably catch up to me:scooter:, where are you leaving from?

Cheers Growler

Roameo 11 Jan 2012 14:18

Wil be leaving from Winnipeg. Funny I start spanish lessons here for starting end of Jan. Thought it would be good to get a little knowledge before I hit the border. I here Guatemala is the popular place for spanish lessons. I am sure we will meet up somewhere!

Franki 12 Jan 2012 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roameo (Post 362649)
Wil be leaving from Winnipeg. Funny I start spanish lessons here for starting end of Jan. Thought it would be good to get a little knowledge before I hit the border. I here Guatemala is the popular place for spanish lessons. I am sure we will meet up somewhere!


Hi Roameo,

I want to learn Spanish too. I was thinking of taking lessons before the trip but if you find good schools down south, I am also interested. Please post info here, thank a lot.

noplacelikehome 12 Jan 2012 12:32

Hey B&G,

I will be starting my trip in Juli 2012 in California. I want to buy a DR over there and make my way south.

Perhaps a mini HUBB meeting somewhere along the way????

Concerning learning Spanish, I will be doing volunteering work and learn Spanish by doing. I don't know a certain school.

Grz,

Lucien

Franki 13 Jan 2012 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by noplacelikehome (Post 362823)
Hey B&G,

I will be starting my trip in Juli 2012 in California. I want to buy a DR over there and make my way south.

Perhaps a mini HUBB meeting somewhere along the way????

Concerning learning Spanish, I will be doing volunteering work and learn Spanish by doing. I don't know a certain school.

Grz,

Lucien


Hi Lucien,

I like your name "noplacelikehome", haha. It is true when one have travelled around and finally settled back home. I am like that.

I'd like the idea of a mini HUBB meet somewhere along the way. I was invited by Dr. G to the mini HUBB meeting in Chiangmai (starts today) but I couldn't make it due to family commitment. Cool idea to make it in Latin America. Let's press on with this and see what will come out.:funmeteryes:

Franki


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:42.


vB.Sponsors