Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/)
-   -   As a Uk citizen can i ride a USA bike in Europe? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/uk-citizen-can-i-ride-57052)

Lonesome George 9 May 2011 09:37

As a Uk citizen can i ride a USA bike in Europe?
Here's the thing. I'm a UK citizen riding a USA bike in Africa. I've always been planning to fly it back to the UK from Nairobi. I know that I'm not allowed to ride it in the UK until I've imported it but I'm wondering can I ride it in other EU countries. (I'm just thinking I might fly to say Greece from Nairobi instead of straight home and ride across Europe)

Obviously I'm trawling the internet for help but the best advice always comes from the HUBB.

chris 9 May 2011 10:37

I can't see any problem with this as long as the bike is legal in Europe (not sure if there is a max time limit for non EU bikes in the EU), it's insured (e.g using ADAC green card insurance (lots of info in another thread)), it's in your name (i.e. you've got "permission" to ride it) and you're allowed to be in the EU (which clearly on an EU passport you are).

I believe you (immigration), the bike (customs) and it being legally on the road (the Old Bill) are separate from each other.

francs 9 May 2011 14:44

No, you can't.
You can ride it in non EU countries.

pictish 9 May 2011 21:38

I would have thought chris is right, there is nothing stopping you getting a temp import to the EU/uk country and then you have to register it after your 6 months. As long as you do not intend on keeping it here. Your carnet can also be used.
Where it gets sticky is it depends on if you are a resident of the UK, IF the bike is registered to your address in the US and you have been out the country for the best part of the year then you would not be a resident , If you are a resident then you can not drive forign plated vehicle unless it is from a country you are employed/self employed in even an EU registered vehicle. You could however try and get temp export plates, but only if you intend on importing the bike to the UK.
Temporarily importing a vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

the classification of a UK resident is defined as having lived in the country for at least six months and that you spend the majority of your time in the UK during the year. ITs the same as for tax free working abroad.

PanEuropean 10 May 2011 18:00


A friend of mine who is a citizen of Austria was heavily fined (several thousand Euro) for riding my Canadian registered motorcycle in Germany.

I think that the rules on this matter are pretty clear - if you are a citizen of an EU country, you are not permitted to ride a non-EU registered vehicle within the EU. If you are a bona-fide tourist from outside the EU, then you can ride your own non-EU registered moto in the EU.

I don't have any references to back this up, only the unfortunate experience of my friend on my motorcycle.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:14.