Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/)
-   -   Provisional License??? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/provisional-license-47928)

jimmyboris 23 Jan 2010 12:47

Provisional License???
Not sure where to put this question so posting it here.

Do i need a provisional motorbike license if I want to take my full bike license and bike theory test even if I have a full car license????

And if I do... does anyone know why???

It seems silly to me. Just another squeeze of the pocket by the greedy pigs!

Can anyone fill me in please?


Big Yellow Tractor 23 Jan 2010 17:50

Lited this from our local Training School

"For all courses you will require a provisional UK Licence or a full UK licence with Category A provision"

grizzly7 23 Jan 2010 19:07

I may be wrong, but I think this was introduced when the CBT test was made compulsory for car drivers wanting a bike licence?

Why is it silly?

pictish 24 Jan 2010 02:07

From what I can gather you do need to do the CBt before you can get the full motorcycle license, so you need a provisional. You will also need to do the theory test which has questions in it regarding motorcycles and not just road signs ect it even has some mechanical ones/control ones . You can do a 4/5 day course for the full license

With a CBT u can ride a 125cc on L plates within the Uk and also bigger bikes with sidecars. You can then sit the main test either on a 125 which means u can ride without L plates or on a bigger bike which means u can ride a bike bigger than 125cc.

I think car license allows you to ride mopeds 50cc if you got it before a certain date on L plates

klous-1 24 Jan 2010 08:00

Check if your car license has the A entitlement. If it doesn't you will have to send it off to the DVLA for this to be ammended.

Then you can do a CBT.

Then do theory and test.

And you have to redo the theory test even if you only just did it for the car.

Threewheelbonnie 24 Jan 2010 09:39


Originally Posted by jimmyboris (Post 273031)
It seems silly to me. Just another squeeze of the pocket by the greedy pigs!

As other posters have said you need the A category on your license. This clears up all the confusion with car drivers thinking they can ride a 125 on L-plates, wheel on a stick sidecars etc.

Check your paper license has the A on it. The slacker training companies don't check. Turn up with a scratty bit of paper bought for ten shillings from a post office and your test will get cancelled and you'd no come back. Your trainer should check all the signatures and photographs but a lot skip it.

I'd agree with you on the pricing policy, but that's the civil service and government for you, they have the ultimate monopoly.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:25.