Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/)
-   -   Channel Tunnel (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-questions-dont-fit-anywhere/channel-tunnel-28367)

JimOD 22 Jul 2007 23:23

Channel Tunnel
 
OK, it's silly question time. I find myself at a loose end in a couple of weeks and was considering a little trip through France, Belgium, Luxembourg and others. The tunnel is the cheapest so I was thinking of going through that way. Now, here's my question. What do I do with my bike once onto the train? Do I strap it down like on a ferry or does it just sit there on its side stand?
Jim

DougieB 22 Jul 2007 23:40

park it in gear and sit on it. or get off and sit on the floor. no strapping it down required.

alexpezzi 23 Jul 2007 00:15

Hi Jim,
I went last year and one of the assistants on the train told me that the carriage I was on didn't have suspensions (?) I don't know if it was a temporary inconvenience or maybe some carriages are just like this but I felt like I should have brought a tie down strap (although my tenere has a quite long side stand). I used a bungee strap instead.
Mind the ramps by the way, they are quite slippery when wet and you board the train from the side.
Have a nice trip.

Regards.

illustratedman 23 Jul 2007 13:49

Chunnel
 
Just park up in gear as mentioned before. The tunnel is very close to me 1/2 hour away so i use it a fair bit. I have had the odd rough carriage where everyone sits around watching their bikes nervously as they rock about. I take a velcro strap to tie the front brake on as well for a bit of extra security, still ive not seen one fall over yet.:cool4:

illustratedman 23 Jul 2007 13:52

Chunnel
 
P.S the dover/calais ferry is normally cheaper but admittedly not as quick and easy, and when you turn up at the tunnel have the credit card to hand you booked with for the auto check in.

BORN2BMILD 23 Jul 2007 15:50

eurotunnel
 
if you book the tunnel and say you are coming back next daybut dont use the return leg you can get it for £ 22 dont know if they do anything about not using return leg i was just looking to go on a ciggy run :thumbup1:

Gecko 23 Jul 2007 16:05

I use the tunnel quite regularly and generally the way to park is in gear on the side stand with the front wheel butted up into the curb inside the carriage. I then put the steering lock on and take a strap from the handle bars to the hand rail at the side of tha carriage. It helps to stabalise the bike and ensures it doesn't rock too much. If you are loaded with luggage this really helps so take a long a small webbing strap about 2 meters long and you'll be fine. Bon vogage - coming to Belgium - let me know and pop by for a coffee - I'm 15km south of Antwerp. :scooter:

oldbmw 23 Jul 2007 16:54

I am surprised you dont all use the centre stand?

oldbmw 23 Jul 2007 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko (Post 144581)
I use the tunnel quite regularly and generally the way to park is in gear on the side stand with the front wheel butted up into the curb inside the carriage. I then put the steering lock on and take a strap from the handle bars to the hand rail at the side of tha carriage. It helps to stabalise the bike and ensures it doesn't rock too much. If you are loaded with luggage this really helps so take a long a small webbing strap about 2 meters long and you'll be fine. Bon vogage - coming to Belgium - let me know and pop by for a coffee - I'm 15km south of Antwerp. :scooter:

I might just take you up on that, i often visit friends there.. st job int goor.

maybe go for a chinese :)

alexpezzi 23 Jul 2007 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbmw (Post 144586)
I am surprised you dont all use the centre stand?

I think if the train decelerates abuptly most bikes will come off the central stand

XTZs dont have central stands by the way

JimOD 23 Jul 2007 17:25

The reason I asked the question was, I thought there were wheel locks or something for your front wheel, then I read posts on forums about people watching their bikes shaking and stuff. If I go through the tunnel I'll just do whatever any other biker would do, and that's, do what everyone else around me does :) That plan has never let me down yet.
Gecko, thanks for the offer of coffee. If I'm in your area I'll give you a shout.

P.S watch for my next post " My bike fell over in the tunnel" :)
Jim

phoenix 23 Jul 2007 21:07

Funny... when I passed through the tunnel about 2 months ago now (seems like yesterday), they wouldn't let me strap it, and I had to insist that it would have gone down otherwise...

The chunnel is no fun though, compared to a ferry! 35 minutes.. it's more like a commute than a sea crossing adventure!

Roi 23 Jul 2007 23:20

Chunnel:
 
I dont know what all the fuss is about, I just got back from a 3wk trip to the south of France and i used the tunnel each way without any trouble, the easiest and cheapest way to get to the continent, if you look out for the booking bargains on the web site and you not fussed bout the time you travel, i cant fault it, you check in get your loading letter and wait till your turn, you drive down to your train and drive on, but watch out when you cross over the ramp onto the train when its :rain: you can loose your front end if you not carefull as i saw this morning, poor chap dropped his R1 in the carriage :oops2: you park your bike in 1st gear on side stand and front wheel turned to the small kerb thing no strapping or chocking of wheels and you should be alright, my GSA was ok on board fully loaded two up. I had to hang on to it coz it was rocking abit in the carriage, also put a bungee cord from front disc to side stand if you are till worried bout your bike goin forward off its side stand.

The only prob is you dont get that rest that some of you might need after a long trek to Folkestone or Calais if you on the otherside. If you not tried it out an you want a quik crossing then go for it, if you prefer the sea air then take the :boat:.
Enjoy either way which you take and take care.

Roi. n Bron.

Gecko 24 Jul 2007 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimOD (Post 144592)
The reason I asked the question was, I thought there were wheel locks or something for your front wheel, then I read posts on forums about people watching their bikes shaking and stuff. If I go through the tunnel I'll just do whatever any other biker would do, and that's, do what everyone else around me does :) That plan has never let me down yet.
Gecko, thanks for the offer of coffee. If I'm in your area I'll give you a shout.

P.S watch for my next post " My bike fell over in the tunnel" :)
Jim

Looking forward to it Jim. :thumbup1:
As a "Chunnel virgin" you might need to know that there are no facilities on the train (except a toilet) so grab yourself something to eat and drink before you board and carry it on with you so you can use the half hour crossing to have a snack and be ready for the next stage of your trip. :scooter:

Gecko 24 Jul 2007 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbmw (Post 144587)
I might just take you up on that, i often visit friends there.. st job int goor.

maybe go for a chinese :)

Anytime you're passing :thumbup1:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:27.


vB.Sponsors