Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Advisories and Urgent Information > Travellers' Advisories, Safety and Security on the Road

Travellers' Advisories, Safety and Security on the Road Recent News, political or military events, which may affect trip plans or routes. Personal and vehicle security, tips and questions.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23 Aug 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33
Warning if traveling in Scandinavia

Please note following while traveling in scandinavia:

Norway:

Locals like to leave lambs running around on purpose to collect money from turist,on the open roads especially in north, so if you hit the lamb in norway you can be easily landed with 2000e/$ compensation+ticket.

road to Nord Kapp, and roads in Tårnet & Winterwollen (russian border behind kirkenes) are notarius for this...yes I know its bull...sh... and even the locals admitt this...

Police:

Seem to activate from winter hybernation during the summer months especially in the wery north.

My friend flashed back his lights to the on coming car (no speeding), police car behind this car issued 220e/280$ fine for" wrong use of the lights"

During the issuance of the ticket my friend was forced to take "on the spot fine" so no later argumentation could be possible. On the ticket the officer marked more points lost on his licence that the information leaf about the fines in norway would suggest, that the police gave to him!!!

My friend who has lived in norway for years summarized it nicely:

" In norway they like you to leave your money for turist stuff as an foreigner, and you to leave after that...if you end up staying, you can find out how even the white man can be treated racist way...."

sad but true....

Finland:

Police straight forward and much more reliable, tolerant and reasonable when it becomes bush camping and if you behave as the Finns do (calmly and respectfully)

Speeding Fines

Be aware that in Finland they have so called "daily fines" or "päiväsakko" that can be nasty surprice if you are high income invidual, or business owner ect. there has been in the news cases that even with modest overspeed has brought high income inviduals 20 000e/ 24 000$ fines!!!

(authorities will check your income while issuing ticket, if you are foreigner they will send request your home countrys tax authorities...if you lie your income, it becomes really expesive and very quick!!!!)

speeding cameras are in wide use, now there is a system that monitors the speed over long distance with vehicle recocnition so speeding is not good idea in Finland anywhere.

Good news: Camping, traveling, borders ect.

Camping is straight forward, dont go into peoples yards, 150m/from the house in the country side, dont leave anything behind, and dont make an fire if not in place that is for fire making, or you have land owners permission (designated places)

you can camp this way pretty much anywhere and security is never an issue, when you are 20km outside of big cities. Just make sure that you dont block the road if camping in bush...

If local finn appears that can be quessed to be an land owner, ask if you can sleep for one night, in most cases you can, in 99% cases nobody shows up...(so you can camp...)

Moving around:

In scandinavia there is no trespassing laws, as long the area is not marked off, or you are asked by athorities or land owner to leave, be aware that the border between Russia and Finland has safety perimeter (yellow paint, on the trees) go past the trees and get gought = lots off troube really quick and hefty fines!!

in the countryside:

You can freely pick berries, mushrooms ect, as long you are 150m from the house, or if you wish walk anywhere...using motor vehicles with out permisson from the land owner outside of the designated (in the forest) areas are forbitten, but camping on the side road or the track that have been clearly used is widely considered ok.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30 Aug 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Some comments to sheep in Norway and Everyman's Right in the Nordic countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
Please note following while traveling in scandinavia:

Norway:

Locals like to leave lambs running around on purpose to collect money from turist,on the open roads especially in north, so if you hit the lamb in norway you can be easily landed with 2000e/$ compensation+ticket.

road to Nord Kapp, and roads in Tårnet & Winterwollen (russian border behind kirkenes) are notarius for this...yes I know its bull...sh... and even the locals admitt this...

Police:

Seem to activate from winter hybernation during the summer months especially in the wery north.

My friend flashed back his lights to the on coming car (no speeding), police car behind this car issued 220e/280$ fine for" wrong use of the lights"

During the issuance of the ticket my friend was forced to take "on the spot fine" so no later argumentation could be possible. On the ticket the officer marked more points lost on his licence that the information leaf about the fines in norway would suggest, that the police gave to him!!!

My friend who has lived in norway for years summarized it nicely:

" In norway they like you to leave your money for turist stuff as an foreigner, and you to leave after that...if you end up staying, you can find out how even the white man can be treated racist way...."

sad but true....
Some comments to the above statements about Norway

Sheep in Norway are often grazing freely. They are not left as "traps" for tourists by the locals. It is normal that damage is compensated for however 2000 EUR sure is exorbitant for a sheep and I personally doubt the correctness of the figure. Furthermore I do not see any connection to racism here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
Finland:

Police straight forward and much more reliable, tolerant and reasonable when it becomes bush camping and if you behave as the Finns do (calmly and respectfully)

Speeding Fines

Be aware that in Finland they have so called "daily fines" or "päiväsakko" that can be nasty surprice if you are high income invidual, or business owner ect. there has been in the news cases that even with modest overspeed has brought high income inviduals 20 000e/ 24 000$ fines!!!

(authorities will check your income while issuing ticket, if you are foreigner they will send request your home countrys tax authorities...if you lie your income, it becomes really expesive and very quick!!!!)

speeding cameras are in wide use, now there is a system that monitors the speed over long distance with vehicle recocnition so speeding is not good idea in Finland anywhere.

Good news: Camping, traveling, borders ect.

Camping is straight forward, dont go into peoples yards, 150m/from the house in the country side, dont leave anything behind, and dont make an fire if not in place that is for fire making, or you have land owners permission (designated places)

you can camp this way pretty much anywhere and security is never an issue, when you are 20km outside of big cities. Just make sure that you dont block the road if camping in bush...

If local finn appears that can be quessed to be an land owner, ask if you can sleep for one night, in most cases you can, in 99% cases nobody shows up...(so you can camp...)

Moving around:

In scandinavia there is no trespassing laws, as long the area is not marked off, or you are asked by athorities or land owner to leave, be aware that the border between Russia and Finland has safety perimeter (yellow paint, on the trees) go past the trees and get gought = lots off troube really quick and hefty fines!!

in the countryside:

You can freely pick berries, mushrooms ect, as long you are 150m from the house, or if you wish walk anywhere...using motor vehicles with out permisson from the land owner outside of the designated (in the forest) areas are forbitten, but camping on the side road or the track that have been clearly used is widely considered ok.

Some comments to the above statements about Finland

You write that "Police straight forward and much more reliable, tolerant and reasonable when it becomes bush camping.". It is actually the work of the police to make sure that "bush camping" is tolerated.

Finland, Sweden and Norway all have something called "Freedom to Roam" or "Everyman's right" which means that e.g. "bush camping" is allowed by the law. See Wikipedia Freedom to roam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the Finnish Ministry of Environment site www.environment.fi - Everyman's right where also a brochure can be downloaded.

It is important to remember that most forest roads are not public but built and maintained by private persons (forest owners). Because of the climate and the ground properties the construction and maintenance is often costly. Therefore, the owners do not necessarily appreciate others using the roads (regardless of nationality) and more and more of these roads today have signs prohibiting 3rd party use. Everyman's right does not include driving on private roads with motorized vehicles.
__________________
Ride safely!
Longwaybackhome
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 Sep 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33
First, I have lived in both countries for some years, so I have good touch into topic...so...

Sheep:

If you want, you may freely hit the sheep in norway and see the outcome (on your own responcebilety...off course, please do post the latest figure)

***Furthermore I do not see any connection to racism here.

who talks about racism? we are talking about real world experiences...

Road use:

***It is important to remember that most forest roads are not public but built and maintained by private persons (forest owners).

few corrections, for the finland:

not all dirt roads are "non public" generally roads leading to private inhibitation cottages ect. can be considered as private, and should be respected... but there is vast array of legal exeptions...for ex. the cabin owner might not even own the land under the road, but there is legal right for road building and use...so common sense helps out of the most trouble...

But in general, if the road has sign and name it is most likely public...and the road is listed in street maps.

for the spring time use,
again if the road surface seems to suffer after winter and using road could damage the surface (leaving deep tracks) I would recommend not to use road...(this is common sense, right?)

If the land owner dont want other to use the road (mainly found in south), there would be signs or the roads would be closed by chains or beam and locked down...where private land owners dont want any unapproved trafik.

again if you have lived in both places for some years you tend to get the feeling about the daily life....Scandinavia is very nice during the summer moths and very secure and hospitable...the examples highlight the common things that can cause the the troubles, so while traveling up there keep your eyes open...some of the animals can be bigger than sheep. for exsample the moose on the cars hood would ruin your day very quicly....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3 Sep 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33
about the mentality, that seems to be vide spread:

Ulkolinja: Norjalaista lohta Chilestä | Ohjelmat | yle.fi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16 Sep 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Sheep in Norway and Roads in Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
First, I have lived in both countries for some years, so I have good touch into topic...so...

Sheep:

If you want, you may freely hit the sheep in norway and see the outcome (on your own responcebilety...off course, please do post the latest figure)

***Furthermore I do not see any connection to racism here.

who talks about racism? we are talking about real world experiences...
Instead of following your suggestion to go and crash into a sheep in Norway I checked the homepage of the "Norwegian sheep and goat farmers association" where I found the reference price for fully grown sheep (NSG�-�Norsk Sau og Geit). It is 2000 NOK which with todays exchange rate is 250 EUR or roughly 1/8 of the 2000 EUR you mentioned in your first post.

You were the one mentioning racism in your first post and I still see no connection to racism here. See Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
Road use:

***It is important to remember that most forest roads are not public but built and maintained by private persons (forest owners).

few corrections, for the finland:

not all dirt roads are "non public" generally roads leading to private inhibitation cottages ect. can be considered as private, and should be respected... but there is vast array of legal exeptions...for ex. the cabin owner might not even own the land under the road, but there is legal right for road building and use...so common sense helps out of the most trouble...
Whether the road builder / cabin owner is building the road on his own land or on someone else's land (by utilizing his legal right to build a road) is in this context completely irrelevant, a 3rd party does not have the legal right to utilize the road. In most cases major forest roads are built by a group of land owners sharing the costs for construction and maintenance according to a pre-defined formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
But in general, if the road has sign and name it is most likely public...and the road is listed in street maps.
Some years ago there was a drive in Finland to name roads where there is some kind of settlement (houses for around the year living or summer cottages) in order to facilitate easy navigation for example for the fire brigade and ambulance in case of an emergency. The fact that a road has a name and a sign does definitely not class it as a "public road" that can be used by 3rd parties.

I agree that the roads shown on a 1:800.000 scale road map are public. The GPS maps have a much greater detail and show also most small roads, regardless if they are public or private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
If the land owner dont want other to use the road (mainly found in south), there would be signs or the roads would be closed by chains or beam and locked down...where private land owners dont want any unapproved trafik.
The absence of a chain / beam / lock does not give a 3rd party the right to use a private road.

To sum up, the "Everyman's Right" does not give a third party the right to use private roads and the road builder / owner may at any time ask a 3rd party to leave.
__________________
Ride safely!
Longwaybackhome
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16 Sep 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Norwegian company salmon farming in Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
about the mentality, that seems to be vide spread:

Ulkolinja: Norjalaista lohta Chilestä | Ohjelmat | yle.fi
I fail to see how the salmon farming of a Norwegian company in Chile is connected to sheep on the road in Norway.
__________________
Ride safely!
Longwaybackhome
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9 Dec 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Warning for "honey traps" in Sweden

Good day,

Due to recent development in the case of an Australian national travelling to Sweden last August I feel that it is appropriate to warn the travellers in this forum about Swedish "honey traps". Be careful, the consequences can be very serious!




.
__________________
Ride safely!
Longwaybackhome
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 9 Dec 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33
*Swedish "honey traps"

please include the link into the news, Mr Borgmastars
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11 Dec 2010
stuxtttr's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutterworth,Midlands, UK
Posts: 471
its not the volvo we should be scarred of

or the flatpack furniture, although a honey trap does sound fun !

this is swedens worst export: Traffic Cops - Dicing with Death on the M6 (Swedish Twins) HD Qu - Video


Last edited by stuxtttr; 11 Dec 2010 at 08:22. Reason: link
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
April in Scandinavia? Nadsicles Route Planning 7 24 Feb 2010 19:40
Iceland via Scandinavia John Yates Travellers Seeking Travellers 0 7 Feb 2008 11:10
Scandinavia Horsedribble Europe 50 26 Jul 2007 20:44
Scandinavia on a F650GS jkrijt Europe 6 3 Aug 2006 21:22
camping gaz in scandinavia. baswacky Camping Equipment and all Clothing 1 5 May 2005 05:59

 
 


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:35.