Originally Posted by tourman
1) Ferry from Scotland return.
2) what bike is best? may need to buy smaller bike for this trip,1200gsa - just too heavy for river crossing etc.
3) Wild camping as much as possible.
4) Fuel, how easy is it to get fuel?
5) Etc, etc, etc.
It's been a while ago when I was there (on a push bike ;-) but I'll try to answer a few questions:
2) Yep, a small enduro would be he perfect choice IMO. Sometimes the river crossings are a bastard. Big boulders, strong current - and bloody cold.
3) Absolutely. I enjoyed the solitude. But be aware that the normal breeze there is like our autumn storms
So a good tent is as important as finding a sheltered spot.
4) No probs. I saw fuel stations in the middle of nowhere and inside is often a small shop.
5) Don't miss any hot springs on your way. It's like stopping at a pub. This is where people socialize
You'll see what I mean ;-)
Only when we pause to wonder
do we go beyond the limits of our little lives.