We visited Bam the day after the earthquake. We have the following important messages:
- The city is really completely destroyed, there is hardly a single house left.
- The main road which passes by the city is unaffected and travel from Kerman to Zahedan is no problem by car/motorbike or by public transport.
- Please do not visit Bam unless you are completely self-sufficient. There is no accomodation or food available for visitors.
- We spoke to Mr. Akhbar of Akhbar Tourist Guest House. The guesthouse is a big heap of rubble. Nine tourists were staying there when the earthquake happened. According to Mr. Akhbar one of them died; a British man of around 30 years named Gavin (or Kevin?) traveling on an Enfield, bought in Nepal, back to Europe. It is not sure whether his relatives know this. However, we could not verify Mr. Akhbars information anywhere. Anyone who knows Gavin is requested to take action to make sure it was really him, and to inform his relatives or his embassy.
- Mr. Akhbar and his family are relatively allright and is happy to receive any supporting words from his guests (if you can locate him between the mess that was once Bam).
- Pictures we took of the mess will be posted on our website on 29 december:
Thanks for your support and cooperation