The Achievable Dream 5-part series - the definitive guide on DVD for planning your motorcycle adventure. Get Ready! covers planning, paperwork, medical and many other topics! "Inspirational and Awesome!" See the trailer here!
Gear Up! is a 2-DVD set, 6 hours! Which bike is right for me? How do I prepare the bike? What stuff do I need - riding gear, clothing, camping gear, first aid kit, tires, maps and GPS? What don't I need? How do I pack it all in? Lots of opinions from over 150 travellers! "This DVD will save you a fortune!"See the trailer here!
So you've done it - got inspired, planned your trip, packed your stuff and you're on the road! This section is about staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure. And crossing borders, war zones or oceans!
On the Road! is 5.5 hours of the tips and advice you need to cross borders, break down language barriers, overcome culture shock, ship the bike and deal with breakdowns and emergencies."Just makes me want to pack up and go!" See the trailer here!
Tire Changing!Grant demystifies the black art of Tire Changing and Repair to help you STAY on the road! "Very informative and practical." See the trailer here!
Ladies on the Loose! For the first time ever, a motorcycle travel DVD made for women, by women! These intrepid women share their tips to help you plan your own motorcycle adventure. They also answer the women-only questions, and entertain you with amazing tales from the road! Presented by Lois Pryce, veteran solo traveller through South America and Africa and author of 'Lois on the Loose', and 'Red Tape and White Knuckles.'
"It has me all fired up to go out on my own adventure!" See the trailer here!
We're not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown a hobby into a full time job and a labour of love.
When you decide to become a Member, it helps directly support the site. You get additional privileges on the HUBB, access to the Members Private Store, and more to come as we roll out new systems. Of course, you get our sincere thanks, good karma and knowing you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. :-)
Travel BooksMotorcycle and travel books to inspire and inform you!
DVDs - Watch and Learn!
Horizons Unlimited presents!
Achievable Dream The definitive guide to planning your motorcycle adventure! This insanely ambitious 2-year project has produced an informative and entertaining 5-part, 18 hour DVD series. "The ultimate round the world rider's how-to DVD!" MCN UK.
Collectors Box SetAll 5 DVDs with a custom printed slip case. "The series is 'free' because the tips and advice will save much more than you spend on buying the DVD's."
Advertisers- Horizons Unlimited is well-established as the first source of reliable, unbiased information on all aspects of motorcycle travel.
We reach a dedicated, worldwide group of real travellers, and are the only website focusing exclusively on long distance motorcycle travellers.
If you sell motorcycles or motorcycle accessories, riding gear, camping equipment and clothing, transport motorcycles, organize motorcycle tours, or have motorcycles to rent, you should be advertising with us!
TRAVEL Hints and TipsPost your TIPS to travellers - all the interesting little tidbits you learned on the road about packing, where to get stuff, and how to cope with problems. Please make sure the subject describes the tip clearly!
We've had a code update on the HUBB that should fix any issues with the new right hand column. If the HUBB "looks funny" or is too narrow with the Forum description squished up, please force a refresh to get the latest code update. (Hold down the shift OR ctrl key, and click the refresh button on your browser, OR Ctrl R, OR on Macs, Command R). If you still have a problem please post it here.
First and foremost - it washes and dries in a jiffy - so can be kept clean and dry when most other things can't.
The ultimate STYLE /clothing item:
1. Wrap it round waist for a skirt (Boys too! David Beckham does it!)
2. Wrap it through legs tie on waist, for a pair of cullottes (wide fitting pants)
3. Wrap it around body and tie under arm, for a beach dress (especially usefull at a laundromat, when you can wash ALL your clothes, whilst you sit and wait in your kikoi!)
4. Wrap it around chest, tie on back for a cool top in hot weather
5. Wrap around hair - tie up, eh presto, glamourous head dress (hides dirty hair)
6. Wrap around shoulders in a 'shawl' style for cooler nights.
7. Wear as a scarf
8. My favourite: use as an impromptu dressing gown (wrap) so you can go to bed/sleeping bag nude (for whatever reason!) and not worry that you’ll be caught short if your tent collapses/sets alight/you have a pee in the middle of the night.
10. Hang it on your tent – or as a rug on the floor, as a bit of colourful decoration to cheer you up.
The ultimate MEDICAL item:
11. Use as a SLING for sprains or broken arms
12. Tie for a tourniquet
13. Perfect as a bandage or binding for a splint
14. Wet and put on sunburn – cooling and soothing. Even soak in aftersun lotion and apply to skin – keeps it cool.
15. Use as a covering over a bowl of steaming water for a head cold.
The ultimate CONVENIENCE item:
16. Use as a towel.
17. Use as a light blanket/sheet to sleep under when its hot
18. Use as a personal ‘clean sheet’ when sleeping in strange/dubious beds
19. Wrap it african style around your waist, and carry wood, fruit, babies, coconuts, groceries, bottles, kitchen sinks etc. etc. on your back with your ARMS FREE for climbing trees, or clapping hands.
20. Instant picnic/beach/sand blanket
21. Makes a perfect sun 'awning' stretched between bikes* see survival
22. Use as food storage - wrap food in it and hang from a tree - safe from insects or curious rodents/monkeys etc.
23. Wrap cameras/electronic gear to add layer of dustproofness and shock absorbing
24. Use as a ‘chastity shelter’ when you want to change/shower/kiss
25. Douse in perfume (or any smellies) and wrap around your face to avoid gagging in stinky toilets/slums/your teenagers’ bedrooms
26. Tie it on a stick and use as a flag so friends can find you in a crowd/you can find your tent easily when drunk.
The ultimate SURVIVAL item:
27. Wrap around face Tuareg style for a sahara-proof headress against sun and sand exposure.
28. If stuck in desert, do above, but wet it (or pee on it) to cool down
29. *Use as shade/awning if no shelter available
30. Use tied between two poles/sticks as a stretcher – (I’ve dragged someone who was too heavy to carry on mine!)
31. Choose brightly coloured kikoi – and this can become a handy beacon/flag when trying to attract attention
32. Use it as a fishing net.
33. When confronted with an angry bull/lama/camel use as a mantel to distract the animal. Can also be thrown down whilst running, to act as decoy
34. In dire emergency (I would suggest this only after you’ve eaten all your food, your friends and bits of yourself and there is no other way out) burn it, to send a smoke signal to the nearest village.
The ultimate MOTOR MECHANICAL item:
35. Works GREAT as a STRONG towing rope, rolled up
36. Worked as a tyre tool, tied round the wheel, to keep the pressure even, whilst we pumped the tyre up.
37. Tie bits of your bike frame together.
The ultimate FUN / ADVENTURE item:
38. Use as a rope for ‘tug-o-war’
39. When wet and rolled tightly, it makes a magnificent whip to chase people around with.
40. Use as a blindfold in “Guess Who” games.
Northerners! The weather outside is frightful, so what better time to start planning your next adventure! To help you get started, for February we're taking 30% off the Get Ready! DVD in the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'GETREADY' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
Membership - Show you're proud to be a Horizons Unlimited Traveller!
Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events such as this one (18 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.
You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or
to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and
knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.