Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Want ads > TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted

TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted Post your Bike TRAVEL equipment - Panniers, large tanks etc. - for sale here.
INCLUDE COUNTRY in subject, (e.g. Touratech panniers for sale, UK) and include currency in the post ;-)
Please DELETE your post when the item is sold.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bertrand
  • 1 Post By *Touring Ted*
  • 1 Post By Dazzerrtw
  • 1 Post By Nigel Marx

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9 Jun 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 373
Malarone Tablets

We have 9 x 12 packs of Malarone 108 tablets left over from our trip.

These were bought on prescription from our Doctor here in the UK and provided by Newark pharmacist. ( please note..These were Not bought on the internet or outside of the UK as we worry about fake tablets )

All are still in there original sealed foil packaging and Boxes with our Name on the Boxes from the prescription .

PLEASE check with your own Doctor that your OK to take Malarone before buying.

Asking £300 for 9 x 12 packs This price includes post and packing with in the UK. Small fee for posting outside of the UK.

Thanks Dazzer and Leigh


Mods. If you wish to remove this for sale Add it's OK with me. Thanks

Last edited by Dazzerrtw; 20 Jul 2013 at 23:08.
  #2  
Old 20 Jun 2013
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,847
Smile

If you would like to donate them foc, I know of orphanages that really need this.
Do contact me for info.
I know it is cheeky of me to ask but it's the only way I know!
  #3  
Old 20 Jun 2013
palace15's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LONDONISTAN, England
Posts: 1,044
dazzer donated so much on his RTW trip that he ran over budget in South America, and despite a nomination to the Ted Simon foundation, it appears he has been ignored for inclusion.
__________________
'He who laughs last, was too slow to get the joke'
Never confuse the map with the journey.
  #4  
Old 30 Jun 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 373
open to a offer.
  #5  
Old 30 Jun 2013
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 1,984
I buy leftover Malarone regularly from people posting here and on the LP forums. I've got plenty at the moment, but thought I'd offer my perspective:

The sweet spot for pricing is half of retail, shipping included. If you want to sell, offer at that price point or lower.

Personally, I've always favored buying from people who plan to donate the proceeds to charity. There have been enough of these to keep me well-supplied for many years.

Hope that's helpful. If not, you know what to do.

Mark
  #6  
Old 18 Jul 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 373
Still for sale will take £200
  #7  
Old 20 Jul 2013
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 4,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock View Post
Probably not very funny for the buyer...... but you wouldn't give a toss about that as long as you get your money, right?

Tosser.
Come on now.... No need for that !! The hubb is a smiley happy place.


FYI, a good friend of mine is a pharmasist..

I have Malerone tablets that has been in my draw for about 5 years. In a plastic screw top bottle. I asked him about it for when I took them to Africa.

He looked it up on his official computer database thingy that they have... He said they will be just fine. If they are stored in a dry place without contamination.. (obviously no 100% guarantees).

Lowever buget hospitals all over the world are stocked full of medication that has passed it's expiry date or left out in the sun for months on end.

Pharmasutical companies are just like supermarkets... They make up a lot of crap about expiry dates to make more money.
__________________
www.TouringTed.com
1994 XR650L
2001 NX650 Dominator.

BMW Dealer Technician
Welder/Fabricator

Ushuaia - Colombia 2007/8
UK- South Africa 2010/11
India 2012
Yukon 2012
S.E Asia 2014
U.K - Magadan 2015
  #8  
Old 20 Jul 2013
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
"Malarone Oral Storage Store at room temperature at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Brief storage between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not store in the bathroom"

I hear ya Ted; but I think it is unlikely that the drugs on offer will have been properly stored and that could cost someone their life.

Expired drugs can be very dangerous - google expired tetracycline for example. Most drug expiry dates, however, indicate the date after which the active compound is no longer guaranteed to be as active as it should be even if it has been stored in optimal conditions. That's a hell of a gamble for you when you are talking about a life threatening illness.

As I keep sayin' about his and other issues, though, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I don't buy drugs in the third world either - at least not expensive ones..... (less profit and therefore incentive to fake the cheaper ones).

Buying second hand drugs is not like buying a second hand bike - you really don't know what you are getting; it may, for example, be fake shit that was bought in Africa - you just don't know. Or it could be bona fide shit that was carted around the world in a pannier or rucksack. And both scenarios could cost you dear.

Now ask yourself - what incentive do I have, other than informing you lot, to say what I say? I don't own a pharmacy. I make no profit on drugs you buy. Maybe, just maybe, I'm trying to help some one out [other than the purveyor of substandard drugs, that is].

Just sayin', that's all.






Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* View Post
Come on now.... No need for that !! The hubb is a smiley happy place.


FYI, a good friend of mine is a pharmasist..

I have Malerone tablets that has been in my draw for about 5 years. In a plastic screw top bottle. I asked him about it for when I took them to Africa.

He looked it up on his official computer database thingy that they have... He said they will be just fine. If they are stored in a dry place without contamination.. (obviously no 100% guarantees).

Lowever buget hospitals all over the world are stocked full of medication that has passed it's expiry date or left out in the sun for months on end.

Pharmasutical companies are just like supermarkets... They make up a lot of crap about expiry dates to make more money.
  #9  
Old 20 Jul 2013
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Blimey, the mods are up early in the UK today.....
  #10  
Old 20 Jul 2013
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 1,984
IMO:

Calling someone you don't know a "tosser" doesn't help your case. Nor does railing about stuff you don't know about, e.g., what was stored where or under what conditions.

There are legitimate concerns with buying or selling meds without Western prescriptions, whether from pharmacies or people advertising on internet forums. On many occasions these concerns can be addressed to my satisfaction--although apparently not to yours. The twice I've had acute malaria it was US-manufactured, pharmacy-fresh medicine which let me down. Haven't had a problem yet with the Malarone I've purchased off the HUBB or LP forums. That might not mean much to you, but in my country we call that the first hint of empirical evidence.

Mark
  #11  
Old 20 Jul 2013
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
n=1, possibly n=2.

Irrelevant with regard to any kind of evidence, even in your country. n=6000 or so and I might be interested in it.

Your choice, Mark. You have obviously found out the hard way that chemoprophylaxis is only a part of the solution (the main one being bite avoidance which gets much less attention as it takes a lot of effort).

I merely offer the opinion that buying second hand medicine of any kind is likely to be a false economy and in the case of some diseases a fatal one.

If someone is happy to sell on "used" medicine knowing that to an unsuspecting traveler that says a lot about them.

If someone is happy to buy "used" medicines to save some money, the risk is their choice as long as they are informed.

As I previously wrote, I don't have any kind of vested interest in this topic except to offer professional advice in travelers' best interests.

What is the OP's vested interest in opposing my opinion? What is yours?





Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
IMO:

Calling someone you don't know a "tosser" doesn't help your case. Nor does railing about stuff you don't know about, e.g., what was stored where or under what conditions.

There are legitimate concerns with buying or selling meds without Western prescriptions, whether from pharmacies or people advertising on internet forums. On many occasions these concerns can be addressed to my satisfaction--although apparently not to yours. The twice I've had acute malaria it was US-manufactured, pharmacy-fresh medicine which let me down. Haven't had a problem yet with the Malarone I've purchased off the HUBB or LP forums. That might not mean much to you, but in my country we call that the first hint of empirical evidence.

Mark
  #12  
Old 20 Jul 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 373
Thankfully while the nutter's are sat in door's on their computers .It leaves the roads a bit safer of us riders to enjoy .



Dazzer





Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock View Post
"Malarone Oral Storage Store at room temperature at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Brief storage between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not store in the bathroom"

I hear ya Ted; but I think it is unlikely that the drugs on offer will have been properly stored and that could cost someone their life.

Expired drugs can be very dangerous - google expired tetracycline for example. Most drug expiry dates, however, indicate the date after which the active compound is no longer guaranteed to be as active as it should be even if it has been stored in optimal conditions. That's a hell of a gamble for you when you are talking about a life threatening illness.

As I keep sayin' about his and other issues, though, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I don't buy drugs in the third world either - at least not expensive ones..... (less profit and therefore incentive to fake the cheaper ones).

Buying second hand drugs is not like buying a second hand bike - you really don't know what you are getting; it may, for example, be fake shit that was bought in Africa - you just don't know. Or it could be bona fide shit that was carted around the world in a pannier or rucksack. And both scenarios could cost you dear.

Now ask yourself - what incentive do I have, other than informing you lot, to say what I say? I don't own a pharmacy. I make no profit on drugs you buy. Maybe, just maybe, I'm trying to help some one out [other than the purveyor of substandard drugs, that is].

Just sayin', that's all.


Did you ask where and how the Malarone had been kept ? ...No.

Did you ask what the Expiry date was ? No.

These were not to be needed until well into our trip and were left in the UK and were to be brought out to us over Christmas when our Kids came over to spend some time with us.

I should think enough people on This site have meet and ridden with me at one of my many Trail riding / camping weekends to know that what I was trying to do was help out another traveler save some money .

After selling our house and all it's contents to fund our trip ,and giving all our cloths to The British Heart foundation and Salvation Army , Now back in the UK with no Job's as yet, were no longer in a financial position to give any thing else away until were both back working.


You do not know me or anything about the help we have given to the needy on our trips, but you seem to think it far to call me a T@sser !

If I may pass on some advise to you that my mother taught me... If you have nothing nice to say about someone , then don't say anything

Dazzer
  #13  
Old 21 Jul 2013
Nigel Marx's Avatar
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 755
And with that, I think everyone has covered what they need to say and I will lock this thread.

Cheers

Nigel in NZ
__________________
The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with . -- 2200 BC Egyptian inscription
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop choice Motivator Communications 54 18 Apr 2013 08:34
Buying Malarone in Southern/East Africa frenchian Staying Healthy on the Road 3 30 Dec 2012 22:56
FOR SALE: 76 Malarone (anti-malaria) TravelKat Staying Healthy on the Road 3 24 Nov 2012 05:18
46 malarone tablets for sale. Will ship anywhere! suffy50 Staying Healthy on the Road 1 11 May 2012 00:19
Buying malaria tablets in Africa Vleis Staying Healthy on the Road 5 21 Dec 2011 19:48

 
 


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:17.